What should I sell my stove for?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I too have reached my limit with the VC Dauntless. After replacing the glass that just cracked for no reason I purchased the Jotul F45 and all I can say is the difference is like night and day I couldn't be happier. You'll sell your VC, people still want these stoves, mine sold within days of posting on Facebook. I lowered the price appropriately and told the buyer that it is a finicky stove to run but if you get it hot and keep it hot it runs pretty good, I just couldn't deal with that, we are not always here to constantly watch the VC stove.
Yet my dealer says no complaints. None.
I guess I can imagine how much effort they will go to buy this back from me. I also know where I won't go shopping for everything else they sell.
I'm likely to go for the jotul f45. I considered the oslo but it has a cat and is a very large stove for our space. ..

Last edited:
I'm likely to go for the jotul f45. I considered the oslo but it has a cat and is a very large stove for our space. ..
Think KISS, the F45 is close to the same size, but with an N/S firebox and much simpler internally. It's not as easy to clean as a Lopi Endeavor or a PE Super (or Alderlea), but it is a nicely made and finished stove and a good heater.

Think KISS, the F45 is close to the same size, but with an N/S firebox and much simpler internally. It's not as easy to clean as a Lopi Endeavor or a PE Super (or Alderlea), but it is a nicely made and finished stove and a good heater.
And the best part would be my new dealer would be great to work with. Great reviews especially with the service and attention.
Vermont castings apparently fielded my complaint (I think they may be listening in here too) and have asked the dealer to send a tech out. They also want me to take pictures of my install. I'm nervous they are going to try and find something wrong to duck out of putting the blame where it should be, but I had a tech out already and he said the install was flawless. So. They might try to say I'm too short on my chimney at my elevation but I'm right below the mark of where I would need to add another foot I believe. That's not a huge deal not I'd like to avoid adding two more feet because then I'm adding a support bracket too. And the draft is fine, it takes right off at startup and does not back puff even if you try to get it to.
Hey maybe they will find someone with the stove or swap me for a new one that I have to bother breaking in for two weeks.

And the best part would be my new dealer would be great to work with. Great reviews especially with the service and attention.
Vermont castings apparently fielded my complaint (I think they may be listening in here too) and have asked the dealer to send a tech out. They also want me to take pictures of my install. I'm nervous they are going to try and find something wrong to duck out of putting the blame where it should be, but I had a tech out already and he said the install was flawless. So. They might try to say I'm too short on my chimney at my elevation but I'm right below the mark of where I would need to add another foot I believe. That's not a huge deal not I'd like to avoid adding two more feet because then I'm adding a support bracket too. And the draft is fine, it takes right off at startup and does not back puff even if you try to get it to.
Hey maybe they will find someone with the stove or swap me for a new one that I have to bother breaking in for two weeks.
My dealer wanted pics of the install, chimney, etc. and sent out a tech to replace the bent damper rod. At the same time the dealer had the tech review the Dauntless operation and stated "yup the stove's fine" fine for who? It is a beautiful stove and I so wanted to figure this appliance out but could not, with so many with similar experiences HHT really needs to re-design this stove, offer rebates and/or replacement stoves as consumers we deserve better quality for $3k plus spent.

The only thing you can do as a consumer is never ever buy anything associated with these brands. Their customer service is the worst in the industry. Put the bums out of business and let the system surface a better player.

The only thing you can do as a consumer is never ever buy anything associated with these brands. Their customer service is the worst in the industry. Put the bums out of business and let the system surface a better player.
You should have tried dealing with them before HHT got them. They are far better now sadly

As a newbie, that is a very subjective opinion. Closing this thread, Repeated bashings of a product is not what this forum is for.

Reactions: BKVP
Status
Not open for further replies.