What should I sell my stove for?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GrumpyDad

Minister of Fire
Feb 23, 2022
Champion, PA
Well, today was the final straw for my VC Dauntless. I was driving by a stove dealer and was stopped at the stop sign, when what did my wandering eye appear?! A Jotul burning nice and bright with a crystal clear glass window and a box full of primary and secondary flames heating a large store.

I went in and checked it out. They now want $3k for a Jotul F45. It was 2200 when I was looking at it and wanted it a couple years ago. DOH. They didnt have them in stock and could get them in stock, so that's when I landed with a VC dauntless. MAN I wish I would have waited.

I went in and talked to the people in there. All installed from there and serviced from there, and we got to talking about the history of the area where I live - really nice and interesting people. DAMN I wish I would have waited and bought from them. While I would do the install, it was still good talking to the installers.

What are used stoves going for? My Dauntless has only had maybe 1.5 cords through it. All mixed hardwoods below 20%. It was cherished and cared for, and never was overheated. My STT isnt super accurate, but I hit over 650 briefly before it came down, and as far as I can tell that thing reads about 20 degrees high. I babysat this stove at all times, or ran it very moderate overnight. The secondary looks clear, no pits...comes with a cat and probe. Original cost I think I paid $3k plus $200 for the cat kit. Cat and probe have maybe 30 hours on them.

Some guy bad mouthed VC on a hearth forum so much the resale has dropped to pennies.
More than 1 guy, and for many years. Their rep is shat due to poor products put out foe many years

Reactions: Highbeam
You may have to pay someone to haul it away to the dump for you.

This year, with the high heating costs you may be real lucky. 7/8 to 2/3 of new? I bet it’d go fast!

Well, today was the final straw for my VC Dauntless. I was driving by a stove dealer and was stopped at the stop sign, when what did my wandering eye appear?! A Jotul burning nice and bright with a crystal clear glass window and a box full of primary and secondary flames heating a large store.

I went in and checked it out. They now want $3k for a Jotul F45. It was 2200 when I was looking at it and wanted it a couple years ago. DOH. They didnt have them in stock and could get them in stock, so that's when I landed with a VC dauntless. MAN I wish I would have waited.

I went in and talked to the people in there. All installed from there and serviced from there, and we got to talking about the history of the area where I live - really nice and interesting people. DAMN I wish I would have waited and bought from them. While I would do the install, it was still good talking to the installers.

What are used stoves going for? My Dauntless has only had maybe 1.5 cords through it. All mixed hardwoods below 20%. It was cherished and cared for, and never was overheated. My STT isnt super accurate, but I hit over 650 briefly before it came down, and as far as I can tell that thing reads about 20 degrees high. I babysat this stove at all times, or ran it very moderate overnight. The secondary looks clear, no pits...comes with a cat and probe. Original cost I think I paid $3k plus $200 for the cat kit. Cat and probe have maybe 30 hours on them.
I'd list it for $2K-$2.5K, but have a bottom dollar in mind if someone decides to offer lower. I sold my 30 year old Defiant Encore for $1K just last year.

people still think there good stoves so u might get decent price.rep from when they were
After seeing how a good stove runs, I can not say VC's are good stoves. I can't say they are bad either, as they do what they are intended to do : heat. And they do look nice, and seem very well built. But my wife can't run it. One day I asked her to keep an eye on it, and a couple of times we creeped up near the danger zone or it went dark. Once you have dark glass, it wont clear up with a cruiser fire. You need a good bit of heat/flames/glow to clear that up.

I was really disappointed in the looks of the Jotul in comparison to the VC. I think Jotul could add something to their stoves to look more attraction personally. It's not an ugly stove by any means, it just doesnt compare to the VC at all.

We shall see what kind of offers I get. I really dont have the money to be taking a loss on a stove so if I dont get decent money for it, I might end up just sucking it up and suffering in silence (or on here). :)

After seeing how a good stove runs, I can not say VC's are good stoves. I can't say they are bad either, as they do what they are intended to do : heat. And they do look nice, and seem very well built. But my wife can't run it. One day I asked her to keep an eye on it, and a couple of times we creeped up near the danger zone or it went dark. Once you have dark glass, it wont clear up with a cruiser fire. You need a good bit of heat/flames/glow to clear that up.

I was really disappointed in the looks of the Jotul in comparison to the VC. I think Jotul could add something to their stoves to look more attraction personally. It's not an ugly stove by any means, it just doesnt compare to the VC at all.

We shall see what kind of offers I get. I really dont have the money to be taking a loss on a stove so if I dont get decent money for it, I might end up just sucking it up and suffering in silence (or on here). :)
The price is obviously more than the Jotul you listed, but have you looked into the BK Ashford? It is also a good looking stove that is easy to run.

The price is obviously more than the Jotul you listed, but have you looked into the BK Ashford? It is also a good looking stove that is easy to run.
No I havent but just did. That's a nice looking stove, and BK seems to be the best of the best burner based on feedback in here. I know the dealer sells BK, but I didnt see that Ashford in their lineup. Maybe they can get it for me. Hmm.. It's certainly worth thinking about, thanks for the input.

If you sell a wood stove, does the person receiving it also get a tax credit? People would be foolish to buy a wood stove for more than what they could new if they consider the tax credit correct?

They don’t get the tax credit. However, they will get something that others might not get for months. A stove.

Reactions: Shank
They don’t get the tax credit. However, they will get something that others might not get for months. A stove.
I dont think stoves are hard to come by now. My local dealer has a basement full of them, including Jotuls - that they said just arent selling. The last F45 came in Sept, and is still sitting there.

No I havent but just did. That's a nice looking stove, and BK seems to be the best of the best burner based on feedback in here. I know the dealer sells BK, but I didnt see that Ashford in their lineup. Maybe they can get it for me. Hmm.. It's certainly worth thinking about, thanks for the input.

Be sure to see one in person and look at the door gasket contact pattern. The whole back end and part of the sides of this stove is sheet metal. VC stoves and Jotul stoves are very pretty and often fully cast iron, or cast iron clad, even their butts!

I dont think stoves are hard to come by now. My local dealer has a basement full of them, including Jotuls - that they said just arent selling. The last F45 came in Sept, and is still sitting there.
Yeah we aren't having any issues getting regencies.

after buying our Jøtul F500 v3 and seeing the BK with everything everyone talks about how great they are, wish I wooda got the BK <sigh>

after buying our Jøtul F500 v3 and seeing the BK with everything everyone talks about how great they are, wish I wooda got the BK <sigh>
Unfortunately the v3 is very new and very different with the no bypass cat. Many of us had our reservations about them. When they were announced. And there have been issues as we expected. Now the old f500 was a very reliable and good heater. As are the other stoves currently offered by jotul

Reactions: JamesGuido
Be sure to see one in person and look at the door gasket contact pattern. The whole back end and part of the sides of this stove is sheet metal. VC stoves and Jotul stoves are very pretty and often fully cast iron, or cast iron clad, even their butts!
yea even the VC backend is metal. I havent take this off to see if this is just shielding or what.
I went out searching for thoughts on the Jotul from videos etc - there isnt a ton of info about them. I feel like they just work and are treated like an appliance so no one talks about them. But the one video I saw, it was a dealer, they suggested it was a sheet metal stove. Ive seen the greenville in person, if that's sheet metal Id be shocked. Maybe it is somewhere within the stove, but for 3k it better not be sheet metal?

Im still trying to figure out what to do. I contacted me dealer who stated they arent getting any complaints about the Vermont Casting stoves. That surprises me! Im asking if they would buy it back because that would hopefully put me in a better position to get the Jotul. Im going to check it out today to make sure it wasnt a fluke that it was running so well yesterday lol. But like I said, the lady who I talked to - she was like ah you add wood , set the air control and then do nothing unless you want more or less heat. That's exactly what I thought I was getting with the VC. In total I may lose up to 1k over all of this. Id be ok with that.

yea even the VC backend is metal. I havent take this off to see if this is just shielding or what.
I went out searching for thoughts on the Jotul from videos etc - there isnt a ton of info about them. I feel like they just work and are treated like an appliance so no one talks about them. But the one video I saw, it was a dealer, they suggested it was a sheet metal stove. Ive seen the greenville in person, if that's sheet metal Id be shocked. Maybe it is somewhere within the stove, but for 3k it better not be sheet metal?

Im still trying to figure out what to do. I contacted me dealer who stated they arent getting any complaints about the Vermont Casting stoves. That surprises me! Im asking if they would buy it back because that would hopefully put me in a better position to get the Jotul. Im going to check it out today to make sure it wasnt a fluke that it was running so well yesterday lol. But like I said, the lady who I talked to - she was like ah you add wood , set the air control and then do nothing unless you want more or less heat. That's exactly what I thought I was getting with the VC. In total I may lose up to 1k over all of this. Id be ok with that.
Yes that is just shielding.

$2000, but hurry, the wood heating season is winding down.

Did you ask the Jotul shop if they would take it as a trade for an F45?

$2000, but hurry, the wood heating season is winding down.

Did you ask the Jotul shop if they would take it as a trade for an F45?
Yea I was thinking that as well, $2k would be what I would want to try to get.
Jotul shop doesnt want my stove. They dont want the hassle, and they are sitting on a ton of inventory that suddenly stopped moving.
I could always try again next year. I dont really have a place to store this. And I would like to sell it connected to show someone it working. It wouldnt take me but 30 minutes to disconnect it, put it on the skid that it came on, wrap it up and take it to the porch to be hauled away. I think people would want to see it working. I could be wrong.

I have never bought or sold a stove where a demonstration was required or even asked for.

Reactions: GrumpyDad
You could always video it running. While not as good as seeing it running, they could take it home now, versus waiting for it to cool down.

My first stove came out of a house, after that they were purchased new. It was summer when I bought my first stove. I never saw it run.

I too have reached my limit with the VC Dauntless. After replacing the glass that just cracked for no reason I purchased the Jotul F45 and all I can say is the difference is like night and day I couldn't be happier. You'll sell your VC, people still want these stoves, mine sold within days of posting on Facebook. I lowered the price appropriately and told the buyer that it is a finicky stove to run but if you get it hot and keep it hot it runs pretty good, I just couldn't deal with that, we are not always here to constantly watch the VC stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.