What size Harman for long -40C winters?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
You can always turn a big stove down, but its hard to get a small one to put out more! Id go with the P68 and never look back

Not sure where you are but its sounds like we are close... the first step is to reduce the need for heat by building a well insulated and sealed house.. I'm adding 4 inches of exterior foam to mine.. I have a osburn 5000 pellet stove in the walkout basement and am searching for a blaze King wood stove for the main part of the house.. like yours a cathedral ceiling and too many windows to be efficient but hey..it's on a lake..
I've got the pellet stove to provide heat while I'm away for a few days in the winter.. I'll run it like my pellet stove in my shop.. low constant.. should be good for 3.5ish days..
I've got the blaze king as emergency heat on a long power outage... mind you I have to be there to feed it..
At -40 neither will heat the house to shirt sleeves comfy but will easily prevent a freeze up
Just me canukistan take on it..[emoji41]

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Opps I see I posted earlier.. my bad

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

bump...after lots of back and forth, we've decided to go with a propane forced air furnace and a P68 in the great room. The furnace will primarily heat the basement and cool the house in the summer, also propane will supply the Reznor in the attached garage. Question, where would be the best place to keep the thermostat for the furnace in this setup? In the basement? If its in the basement would the other first floor rooms ex. master bedroom, that are set back from the great room not get enough heat, or maybe too much heat?