What size should I cut it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Leckbass

Sep 22, 2017
NJ
My buddy dropped off a load of free wood yesterday. The wood is all about 26-28 in long. I usually burn wood that is 18-20 in long. Should I cut the wood in half and have all equal pieces or cut it to the proper length and and have a short piece? What's your opinion?

Reactions: patrickk222
Cut it in half, it will stack easier. If you cut it at 20 inches you will have half of the pieces 6 - 8 inches long and will be difficult to stack.

Reactions: CentralVAWoodHeat
Just to give another opinion, I'd cut them into the length you prefer, and pile up the shorties in a cage of some sort. I use a piece of 4' welded fence bent into a circle. Plus, instead of all your loads being inefficient and annoying, only the loads of shorts will be, and by percentage of BTUs produced, overall a much more efficient way to burn. Momma always told me, two wrongs don't make a right.

My buddy dropped off a load of free wood yesterday. The wood is all about 26-28 in long. I usually burn wood that is 18-20 in long. Should I cut the wood in half and have all equal pieces or cut it to the proper length and and have a short piece? What's your opinion?
I love chunk wood, I would cut it to the 18-20 and leave the rest as chunks. When I cut firewood I'll cut off limb areas to get a round piece then those chunks get tossed into a bin and burned. I will square the end of pieces and the leftovers will also get tossed into the chunk bin.

Reactions: WoodyIsGoody
Im with ED, cut to length, take the shorties and throw them in a heap, a circle of fencing on top of a pallet bin makes excellent storage

Those chunks work great in the shoulder seasons when you do not need a full load. another use - is when you have a lot of coals and need to burn them down propr resetting a full load. Rake coals into pile, preferably in the main air stream put a chunk or two on top of coals set air wide open and the coals will be reduced. I like to use the compressed wood bricks for this, but use chunks if I have them.

I usually split up the short pieces into kindling. You always can use kindling!

Reactions: BrianVA

If you cut them all to 18" then the ends will be 8"-10" and you can use them in the shoulder seasons as already suggested or double them up (end to end) for mid-winter burning when you want a hot fire).

what is the depth of your stove, can you fit an 8-10" piece going N/S?

I like to cut each piece a slightly different length, just to annoy anyone who stacks or loads the stove (oh wait.... hoisted by my own petard)...

I like to cut each piece a slightly different length, just to annoy anyone who stacks or loads the stove (oh wait.... hoisted by my own petard)...
8in yes, 10in... it's too close...

Too much time with my arm in the hot stove to get it perfect.

+1 for cutting to desired length and leaving shorties. This is what I did with all my end cuts etc. A buddy said just use them in a bonfire to which I replied Btu's are Btu's. The uglies as i call them will work great in shoulder season, and even regular heating season too. Those smaller pieces burn HOT. I have a row about 20 ft long and 3 ft tall. I bet those uglies take me through to January.

Cut to length . . . as mentioned . . . use the chunks for burning in the shoulder season.

This time of year I am typically burning a lot of chunks, punks and uglies (short pieces, dry punky wood and wood that did not split up nice and neat, has a wicked curve in it, crotch, etc. . . . along with less desirable wood such as pine, hemlock, poplar, etc.) I save my "good stuff" for when I really need to pack it in.

I have almost 2 cord of wood that is 12" long. It is super annoying. Back when i was reorganizing everything, I would toss it in the truck, drive it around back, and then separate. I ended up redoing my stacks a few times because I just started stacking, then realized that the lengths were all over the place. I ended up just dumping it into piles by size and type, then restacking it. I have a few long piles, and a few short piles.

Now I cut everything using my bar as a guide (I measured to where 20" on the saw and marked it). Having consistent lengths makes things super nice to stack!

Reactions: bigealta
Cut to your preferred length then either made a shorty pile or cage or do what i do and work them into the stack by putting them end to end. 2) 8" pieces is 16" end to end.

The short ones stack nice north to south, I believe I can get more wood in stove this way than my normal 20" pieces.

Cut it to length to maximize the efficiency of your stove and burn the shorties on the weekend or anytime you have the time to fool with them. You are not going to have that many of them and they will be gone before you know it.

I cut to the max length my stove can take to maximize my burn time as well. This is what I use to mark the logs I'm cutting:

Old thread, I know, but my Pacific Energy Summit likes 17" logs, otherwise it makes my glass dark. I made a cutting stick that it exactly 17" long and lay it by the log and then cut. If I tick it with the saw, no worries. I hate to re-saw one long because I cut it too long.

I bring a tape measure and sidewalk chaulk. Mark the logs at 18" all the way down, which is good to stack and the perfect length for my stove. Shorts 7"-9" are perfect for a bottom layer of N/S loading then E/W on top of that.

This is what I do. I love 8-10" to run N/S in my insert.

Oh wow, I just realized this thread is 5 years old!

Reactions: stoveliker