what size wood stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tdl086

Aug 23, 2013
West Texas
Building 1200 sq ft with 19X39 great room with 15ft vaulted ceiling. Looking at Dutch West catalytic. Should I go small which heats up to 1400 sq ft or large which heats up to 1600 sq ft?

Welcome, in Texas isn't it mandatory to go big? lol

I would go for the large. Burn shorter, hot fires if the weather is mild and let the fire go out. The space may only be 1200 sq ft, but the cu ftg with the cathedral ceiling almost doubles the sq ftg in that room. Be sure to have reversible ceiling fans installed in the great room to break up the heat that will stratify at the peak of the ceiling.

Is this a full time burner or occasional? For full time - I would definitely go with the larger stove. Occasional - it won't matter much.

Building 1200 sq ft with 19X39 great room with 15ft vaulted ceiling. Looking at Dutch West catalytic. Should I go small which heats up to 1400 sq ft or large which heats up to 1600 sq ft?

We usually recommend to not look at the advertised sqft ratings of the stoves as they can vary greatly with winter temps, insulation levels, wood species burned, floor layout etc. The size of the firebox is often a better indicator of how much a stove can heat since more wood in the stove will mean more heat. You will probably be ok with a stove in the 2 cu ft range assuming your winter temps are rather moderate. A catalytic stove may be a good idea because you will be able to regulate the heat output more easily and won't heat you out of the house when it is not that cold outside. Have you looked at other brands such as BlazeKing or Woodstock?

In addition, do you have dry, seasoned wood already? Any modern wood stove will need wood with a moisture content of less than 20 % and it is often hard to find a firewood seller who has that. Hence, most of us here dry their own wood for 2 to 3 years in our yards.

Welcome, in Texas isn't it mandatory to go big? lol

I would go for the large. Burn shorter, hot fires if the weather is mild and let the fire go out. The space may only be 1200 sq ft, but the cu ftg with the cathedral ceiling almost doubles the sq ftg in that room. Be sure to have reversible ceiling fans installed in the great room to break up the heat that will stratify at the peak of the ceiling.

Thanks Begreen. I appreciate your response. Our winters have gotten so mild but I sure do enjoy a good warm fire. I didn't mention this place is a get away . Just 30 minutes from my home. I think we will spend more time out there than we think.

We usually recommend to not look at the advertised sqft ratings of the stoves as they can vary greatly with winter temps, insulation levels, wood species burned, floor layout etc. The size of the firebox is often a better indicator of how much a stove can heat since more wood in the stove will mean more heat. You will probably be ok with a stove in the 2 cu ft range assuming your winter temps are rather moderate. A catalytic stove may be a good idea because you will be able to regulate the heat output more easily and won't heat you out of the house when it is not that cold outside. Have you looked at other brands such as BlazeKing or Woodstock?

In addition, do you have dry, seasoned wood already? Any modern wood stove will need wood with a moisture content of less than 20 % and it is often hard to find a firewood seller who has that. Hence, most of us here dry their own wood for 2 to 3 years in our yards.

There is little to choose from where I live. So. I haven't looked any further than what is available locally. I burn seasoned pecan and mesquite that I cut and let dry for 2 seasons. I'm 200 miles from Austin and San Antonio so I may be k to see if any dealers carry the above mentioned brands. Thanks for your insight.

There is little to choose from where I live. So. I haven't looked any further than what is available locally. I burn seasoned pecan and mesquite that I cut and let dry for 2 seasons. I'm 200 miles from Austin and San Antonio so I may be k to see if any dealers carry the above mentioned brands. Thanks for your insight.

Woodstock is not carried by dealers; they sell and ship directly from the factory: http://www.woodstove.com/
However, they have one of the best customers services in the stove industry plus an unheard of 6-month, no questions asked return policy. I am not sure about Blaze King but could be tricky to find a dealer near you.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Yes, definitely worth looking at the Woodstocks. They are beautiful stoves, very well built, and very easy to run, very clean burning, low maintenance, great customer service. The company is never more than a phone call away, 6 days a week, and quite willing to cheerfully help you with any woodburning problem you have. Would strongly advise checking out their website.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Status
Not open for further replies.