what spec of wood is this

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Maybe a combination of species in the pile,? Fresh cut red oak stinks the worst to me, and some poplar tops I got this summer, they stunk when splitting, you mentioned soapy smell? I don't want that soap in my house, lol

Red oak has a strong and distinct vinegar like smell that persists for a good solid year after stacking. I will still get whiffs of even my 2-3 year old oak sometimes when I'm mowing the lawn on a damp day nearby. I actually don't mind the smell myself but others I know find it gross.

i had red oak smell dampish but sometimes split red oak smells like dog poop and yes it smells for almost a year after and have to keep the window by the splits closed because of the smell

i had red oak smell dampish but sometimes split red oak smells like dog poop and yes it smells for almost a year after and have to keep the window by the splits closed because of the smell
I wish there was a device that was cheap that could tell me what this smell is from. It's definitely from the wood pile. Smells like someone is masking a leaking septic tank. It might be red oak but when I grab red oak pieces it isn't it. Dunno

maybe it's a dead mouse. been there done that. i'd say each cord of wood has about 2 mouse nests in it. at mine do

maybe it's a dead mouse. been there done that. i'd say each cord of wood has about 2 mouse nests in it. at mine do
Same. Sometimes I find petrified mice as I work through the piles. Same happens under my shed. Sometimes one dies but the smell goes away in a few days/week.

Same. Sometimes I find petrified mice as I work through the piles. Same happens under my shed. Sometimes one dies but the smell goes away in a few days/week.
I had a rabbit die under my shed, and it is near my swimming pool. Took a month for the smell to go away.

The smell I smell isnt rot. It's an artificial smell that smells like a mixture of autumn leaves, urinal cakes, soap, and some sort of mint that reminds me of something people put in their septic when their septic is failing and they dont want to smell it around the house. I havent smelled that smell since I was a kid but I do remember it distinctly. It's coming from my wood pile, and it's likely a combination of woods that were freshly cut, about a month ago at this point. I received 2 cords, and split about 1 cord worth. All well seasoned but of course it still releases a smell. Ive never smelled this before.

Very interesting. I can't think of any woods I've cut that smell like that. Most are very pleasant smelling (fruit wood especially). Oak is the only polarizing one. If you ever figure out out please share!

Very interesting. I can't think of any woods I've cut that smell like that. Most are very pleasant smelling (fruit wood especially). Oak is the only polarizing one. If you ever figure out out please share!
It's going to drive me nuts.

Part Could be animals that peed against the pile?