What started out right

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TimJ

Minister of Fire
Apr 10, 2012
Southeast Indiana
went wrong quickly. With the wife gone to Germany to visit family, I am a bachelor for 4 weeks. Well, I had plenty of vacation time so I decided to take off the rest of the week to get my wood fix. So, a plan was made and I was out in the woods assessing a large downed maple by 11;30 am. I wanted to make sure I had plenty of room to work so I was in the process of getting some branches out of the way, I would do one at a time and put the brake on the saw and set it down and clear the branch from the work area. I wasn't five minutes into the job when I put the brake on the saw, set it down, and tugged on a branch to remove it. I then proceeded to trip on a snag and as I put my hands out to brace for the fall, my hand landed right on the saw. It was opened up bad, so I wound up driving myself to the emergency room to get it sowed back up. Fortuantely, the xray showed no chipped bone and none of the tendons got hit. Now I am all wrapped up and can't use the saw this weekend. Guess I will hole up and wait for the 4 inches of rain from Ike and watch the FedEx Cup.

Nuts, that sucks! Not only the tore up hand, on your vacation yet, but your C/S/S plans got nixed in the process (which would probably bite me the most <> )
Are you white collar? Any chance of going back to work and redeeming some of that vacation time later?

Damn amazing how things can go to hell all of a sudden. Welcome to my world.

KC

Guess I will hole up and wait for the 4 inches of rain from Ike and watch the FedEx Cup.
Ow, dammit! Glad you didn't cut up any tendons, etc.
I hope it doesn't turn out to be another Ike. After the power was out for a while we made an outdoor fire pit, thinking we would have to start heating water. Luckily it didn't come to that, but we are getting good use out of the fire pit. :cool:

OUCH!
I get queazy just thinking about it.
When you are all healed up, it'll be cooler an you can get back after it.
Delivered pizza, some beer & golf, good way to recover ;)

Ouch! One more lesson Tim and it was a hard lesson for sure.

When I am limbing, I stop only if I can't stand right to cut the next limb. Then the saw goes off and gets moved away. But many times I'll cut the whole tree; limbing and bucking, before the saw gets shut off. Then the saw usually gets set on the atv or close to it; away from where I am working.

Speaking of falling, I took a nasty fall this afternoon myself. Hurt like crazy but nothing like what you have. I'll heal faster. lol

Good luck Tim and we hope you do heal fast. Enjoy what is left of the vacation.

Reactions: ScotO
Glad you escaped major injury and were able to get too help. Remember some nasty hand stitch-ups from my time in the kitchen trade, ugh...they suck.

Well I'm glad you didn't get hurt too bad, but it does sound painful. I am grateful when members post stories like this, we always need to be reminded of how dangerous processing wood can be. I hope you heal up quick!

Reactions: PA Fire Bug
went wrong quickly. With the wife gone to Germany to visit family, I am a bachelor for 4 weeks. Well, I had plenty of vacation time so I decided to take off the rest of the week to get my wood fix. So, a plan was made and I was out in the woods assessing a large downed maple by 11;30 am. I wanted to make sure I had plenty of room to work so I was in the process of getting some branches out of the way, I would do one at a time and put the brake on the saw and set it down and clear the branch from the work area. I wasn't five minutes into the job when I put the brake on the saw, set it down, and tugged on a branch to remove it. I then proceeded to trip on a snag and as I put my hands out to brace for the fall, my hand landed right on the saw. It was opened up bad, so I wound up driving myself to the emergency room to get it sowed back up. Fortuantely, the xray showed no chipped bone and none of the tendons got hit. Now I am all wrapped up and can't use the saw this weekend. Guess I will hole up and wait for the 4 inches of rain from Ike and watch the FedEx Cup.
Hope that you heal up quickly ! Some times things happen no matter how careful we are .

Look at the bright side Tim, could have been MUCH worse. Hope you heal fast and get back at it soon. :)

Hope your hand heals quick. All injuries suck but hand injuries are a drag, especially if you work with your hands in a job where every movement hurts or opens stitches etc. Get well.

What a bummer! Look at the bright side it could have been much worse and your wife isn't home to scold you! ;)

Reactions: ScotO
Ouch! One more lesson Tim and it was a hard lesson for sure.

When I am limbing, I stop only if I can't stand right to cut the next limb. Then the saw goes off and gets moved away. But many times I'll cut the whole tree; limbing and bucking, before the saw gets shut off. Then the saw usually gets set on the atv or close to it; away from where I am working.

Speaking of falling, I took a nasty fall this afternoon myself. Hurt like crazy but nothing like what you have. I'll heal faster. lol

Good luck Tim and we hope you do heal fast. Enjoy what is left of the vacation.

This is what I do as well. I had a scare when I first started cutting that sounds a lot like what you did Tim, except that my hand just missed the saw. I am sorry this happened but glad it was not worse. Dennis hope you're feeling okay as well.

Just another reminder that we all need to be super careful when we are cutting!

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
What a bummer! Look at the bright side it could have been much worse and your wife isn't home to scold you! ;)

X2...... Could have been much worse. With some time off to heal, hopefully the Wife will have some forgiveness :)

With the time you have? Maybe go look for a good pair of gloves. Proper PPE may not help completely avoid injury, but can help reduce the severity. IMO

Here's to a speedy recovery. Cheers

Reactions: Danno77 and ScotO
That's a bummer Tim, hope for quick healing/recovery for you. I'd planned two full days in the woods for the holiday weekend, but as luck would have it, I blew my knee at a picnic playing softball. I've never had bad knees or joints, but it was just freak thing. Don't know if I'll need surgery yet or not, but I won't be cutting this weekend. A C

I got the chills when I read that Tim. That sucks, hope you heal quickly. As the others said, it could have been worse. You could have hit a major artery or nerve, could have broken something really bad, or worst of all, your wife could have scolded you when you got back to the house (but with her in Germany, you don't have to worry about that one!)......WHEEW......

Get well soon, wood wont mind waitin.

Thanks all. I didn't sleep real well last night because I am stubborn and didn't get the pain pills he prescribed. The hospital had me on record because about 10 years ago I was in for the same thing. I'm a hard learner :oops: Seriously, I do think about safety alot and it is good for us all to keep it in mind when we are in the woods to take nothing for granted. Next time I turn the saw off I will put it where nothing like this can happen again.
PS. This took along time to type one handed :) and Scotty you seem to know women pretty well

Get well soon.

Four weeks without the wife . . . one bandaged hand . . . your dominant hand? . . . hmmmmm. ;) . . . could be a very long four weeks . . . I mean to say . . . stinks typing one handed . . . yeah, yeah . . . that's what I meant to infer.

Reactions: fahmahbob
That sucks TimJ, hope your feeling better so the wife can chew you a new ___________________. Like others have said it could be worse.

Get Well
Zap

That's a bummer Tim, hope for quick healing/recovery for you. I'd planned two full days in the woods for the holiday weekend, but as luck would have it, I blew my knee at a picnic playing softball. I've never had bad knees or joints, but it was just freak thing. Don't know if I'll need surgery yet or not, but I won't be cutting this weekend. A C

Bad...... Hope that thing heals fast!

You know the rules, pics or it didnt happen.....on second thought I think we can skip that rule this time, good luck, my BIL had a similar accident last month only it involved a circular saw, two fingers, a tendon and some bone.

Status
Not open for further replies.