What stove will fit in this hearth area?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bsimms89

Dec 19, 2014
Long Island, NY
Hey everyone, I have a question regarding what stove could possible fit within these hearth requirements in my house. My house is a 2400 square foot colonial on Long Island in Brookhaven that I bought about a year ago and currently has heating oil and baseboards as its heat. I've been wanting to add a stove to my house since I moved in and have been researching a lot on this and other sites to help be decide the best course to installing one.

The only room that really has space to install a stove is the Den which is 18'-5" by 14' and even in that room there is only one corner where it wouldn't effect the travel of people or need a major renovation to install. The left side of the corner (if youre looking at the corner) has 68" of wall until the doorway into the kitchen so that isn't a problem, the problem is the right side of the corner is a sliding glass door to go outside, the part of the door closer to the corner is the non moving window section so I don't have an issue with the stove being in front of this and blocking the view out the window a little, but the problem is when u open the door and measure how far from the corner to the doorway opening it is only 40"-42" roughly.

Initially I wanted to install an Alderlea (T5 or T6) in my house, but upon looking at the required hearth size for a corner install even the T4 wouldn't fit as that needs a 48x48 pad for a corner installation. I really cant come out much more than 42 inches from the wall on this side. Does anyone have any suggestions of a stove that can fit in a corner of this size, or of a way to install it either perpendicular with a wall that I could get away with a smaller hearth?

The entire house is headwood white oak floors, and ideally I could just install tile level with the wood floor and I could go as big on the hearth as I wanted and not have to worry about tripping, but as I just sanded and refinished the floors 6 months ago I don't want to do ripping out part of them and installing tile just yet (maybe in the distant future). Right now all I could do would be a pre-made pad for the corner.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, thank you for your help

Reactions: john84
One that could just fit perpendicular to the wall: Woodstock Progress Hybrid. As it is sideloading you only need an 8" hearth in the front when you get it with ash lip and standard legs. Depth is 25" and rear clearance with heat shield and double-wall pipe 7" for a total of 40". You will need the entire wall as it is 30.5" wide and side clearances are 24" on firing side and 12" with wall shield on the other.

A frontloading stove will need a hearth of 16" in front so I doubt you will find one that fits within 42" unless the wall behind it would be totally non-combustible and you could push the stove right against it. And I would say the same about the possibility of a corner install. If you don't like the Progress you may need to look for a different place to put a stove.

You could be fine. Our T6 is in a corner with a window on the left. The window trim starts at 37" and the actual glass at 42". The hearth extends beyond this point to almost the mid-point of the window. This is not an issue at all with the Alderlea which is only softly radiant from the sides. Your choice is good. I would stick with a convective stove and not put in a more radiant stove there.

Can you post a picture of this area and maybe a quick sketch with dimensions so that we can verify?

T6_n_cat.jpg

I should maybe add that a stove with an ember protection only as hearth requirement will only need a thin sheet metal plate for a hearth. Hardly a trip hazard. Here would be some stock options: http://www.morsona.com/morsoe-hearth-plates but any metal shop should be able to fab you one.

Thx for the responses, we actually own a rigging and steel erecting business so I found fabricate a plate myself if I wanted, but I want to do something that looks a little more finished, I think I might be leaning towards installing a slate tile mud entrance that doubles as a hearth even though that would involve cutting up some of the floor. I'll take some pics later and I'll post some CAD drawings I made of the house showing its location. I know ppl will say that it could be in a more central location, but I spend all my time in the kitchen and den and the den is by far the coldest room in the house in the winter( it is on a slab where the rest of the house is over a basement and it only has a walkway with a sink and mirror and closet above, not a full finished room).

The first file I'm attaching is the floor plan with the area I'm planning indicated in the den.

The second file shows where I would consider laying tile for a corner installation and entrance way in the den.

The third and fourth file are just possible changes I would make to the house if I ever chose to in the future.The first one I would like but the kitchen was only just redone about 4 years ago by a previous owner and really doesn't need work otherwise I would do this now. The last one is one I would like as it would open up the den to the rest of the house but it would be a lot of work as it would require moving the current electric meter and vent for the septic system, pouring an add on to the existing slab for the den, moving the outside wall of the den out, resloping the roof over the den, and adding a beam in between the dining room and the den so idk if that will ever happen I'd have to decide if I'm gonna spend my life in this house or not.

Attachments

• current.pdf
    39.4 KB · Views: 116
  • phase 1.pdf
    43.2 KB · Views: 97
  • phase 2.pdf
    45.8 KB · Views: 97
  • phase 3.pdf
    47 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
Also I just noticed, ignore the label that says "KITCHEN" in the Living room, I missed that one and it got copied onto all of them

and Begreen what are the dimentions of your pad, chinmeysweep online says for a T6 corner install the pas has to extend 56" from the corner

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.