What to consider buying ATV for hauling wood around property and snow plowing.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dmitry

Minister of Fire
Oct 4, 2014
CT
I want to get used ATV for under $3000 budget to plow my 400 ft driveway and haul some wood around 3 acres property. No crazy terrains. Now hauling wood with zero turn but want to upgrade.
So far i gather from other guys:
Should be 4 by 4, but able to turn it off for easy steering when needed.
No less than 400 to be powerful enough.
Any models i should stay away from? Any other wisdom?

I have a Yamaha big bear 4x4 or 2x4 with a switch It also has full diff
locks front and rear plus a winch made to work and haul anywhere.
Would not be without it Had a honda before but could not keep a trans in it
not nice when the trans self destructs 4 miles back in the bush

If that's what you're doing why not a UTV? No need to haul a trailer if it isn't necessary. You should be able to scoop up an older Gator 6x4 with your budget.
It's a bit bigger, from what i understand . I have some tight corners between wood stacks

Does engine size affects plowing much? is that critical? Lest say 400cc vs 750?

Does engine size affects plowing much? is that critical? Lest say 400cc vs 750?
No...traction is a issue before power is, since you often plow in low range...even a 350 has plenty of power for the work you want to do...I used to plow a business parking lot out with a 300 Honda (among others)...and my pile of snow was just as big as the one next door that was plowed out by a truck

Reactions: triptester
No...traction is a issue before power is, since you often plow in low range...even a 350 has plenty of power for the work you want to do...I used to plow a business parking lot out with a 300 Honda (among others)...and my pile of snow was just as big as the one next door that was plowed out by a truck
end traction depends on tires and what else? 4 by 4 ability? I'm new to this.

end traction depends on tires and what else? 4 by 4 ability? I'm new to this.
Tires somewhat, weight too...but when pushing snow, the surface underneath has a lot to do with it (gravel, grass, concrete, etc) and how clean you can get it with the plow. 4x4 can only do so much for you when you are pushing wet heavy snow and there is icy pavement underneath...but that is something that you'll figure out with a little bit of experience. Overall ATVs work pretty darn well for plowing snow...

And just FYI, there are two methods to lifting the blade...manually, with a long lever that is in your way for legroom (and a real knee buster if you catch a curb or sidewalk with the blade!) or using an electric winch mounted on the front...which is my preferred method. Its also nice to have the winch for pulling yourself out when stuck in the mud, or using it to drag logs up out of a ravine, etc, they are just really handy to have.
Heck, I dunno, maybe they don't even make the manual lift anymore...but I bet they do...

Reactions: sloeffle
I replied in your other thread. I plow with a 2003 Arctic Cat 400 auto. Traction only becomes issue when trying to plow too much snow. I had no issue with original tires but have now installed a more aggressive tire. I have a 60” plow that angles either way. Always plow in low gear if you get an automatic. Steering in 4wd is not harder on my machine than in 2wd. What makes in harder is weight of plow when raised. Best to find plow setup that uses winch to raise and lower. However winch use can take a toll on those small batteries so a good top of the line AGM battery is best. Battery tenders are good to keep it charged and ready especially if you don’t have warm storage when not in use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a Kawasaki and Honda 300 CC. Both solid axle rear wheel drive. Both are great in the woods, go anywhere, climb steep hills. For work around the cabin / woods property, I pull a trailer or splitter with 500LBS of wood. Drag a 25' tarp with wet leaves, I could barely move by hand. But take them out in more than 6 inches of snow on flat ground, they stand sill, spinning both back wheels. And they have decent size tires, maybe 14 inches tall.

My neighbor plows with a much bigger machine, all wheel drive, and he struggles trying to clear an large parking area.

I guessing here, is 4 wheel drive only 1 front and 1 rear wheel? If so I would look at the locking differential.

If I was going to plow I would look for this, Big machine, high and low range, 4x4 with locking differential, large tires, tractor cleat tread, chains, weights, and a good plow system. In good shape, It won't be cheap. An old farm tractor would be cheaper and better.

I guessing here, is 4 wheel drive only 1 front and 1 rear wheel?
No, almost all ATVs drive both rear wheels...through either a solid rear axle, or if it has independent rear suspension, a one piece drive gear...no differential. The front drive unit does have a differential, so it can power only one front wheel when stuck (kinda like 4x3)...it is nice having a front diff that can be completely disengaged for 2 wheel drive, and then "locked" when in 4x4 too (true 4x4, full power to all 4 wheels) but makes it very hard to turn when the plow is up and driving on concrete! ;lol

If that's what you're doing why not a UTV? No need to haul a trailer if it isn't necessary. You should be able to scoop up an older Gator 6x4 with your budget.
You can haul more with a trailer. I can put up to 1200lbs in my Polar trailer so it comes down to how much weight can you pull with the ATV/UTV. I just got done hauling a truckload (60000lbs) of oak to where I have my splitter and racks with my ATV and trailer and I put the transmission in low to haul the heavy loads.

I have a Kawasaki and Honda 300 CC. Both solid axle rear wheel drive. Both are great in the woods, go anywhere, climb steep hills. For work around the cabin / woods property, I pull a trailer or splitter with 500LBS of wood. Drag a 25' tarp with wet leaves, I could barely move by hand. But take them out in more than 6 inches of snow on flat ground, they stand sill, spinning both back wheels. And they have decent size tires, maybe 14 inches tall.

My neighbor plows with a much bigger machine, all wheel drive, and he struggles trying to clear an large parking area.

I guessing here, is 4 wheel drive only 1 front and 1 rear wheel? If so I would look at the locking differential.

If I was going to plow I would look for this, Big machine, high and low range, 4x4 with locking differential, large tires, tractor cleat tread, chains, weights, and a good plow system. In good shape, It won't be cheap. An old farm tractor would be cheaper and better.
I did fine most of the time plowing a 700’ driveway (now a 100’ driveway at the new place) up here without locking differentials, just regular 4x4 and I only used chains on the back tires after my tires got well worn but if there was decent tread I didn’t bother. Also no extra weight. I use a 5’ plow and it does fine until there’s a big dumping of wet snow then it’s too much of a struggle with a ATV to plow and you beat on the machine too much trying to plow. Best to break out the skid steer or tractor then or hire a plow truck to get you out. Oh and my ATV is a 500cc Honda Rubicon, a medium sized machine.

Last edited:
You can haul more with a trailer. I can put up to 1200lbs in my Polar trailer so it comes down to how much weight can you pull with the ATV/UTV. I just got done hauling a truckload (60000lbs) of oak to where I have my splitter and racks with my ATV and trailer and I put the transmission in low to haul the heavy loads.

Payload capacity on the 6x4 I mentioned earlier is 1000lbs and a 1400lbs towing capacity. They're capable of doing both at the same time.

Haven't paid a lot of attention lately to any changes, but for a while, I believe Polaris was the only manufacturer that made true AWD. When on, if the rear tires slip, both fronts kick in. I liked the option of just flipping a switch and not having to worry about a locking diff. With Maxxis bighorns, my sportsman 500 really does go just about anywhere.

Reactions: CentralVAWoodHeat
Payload capacity on the 6x4 I mentioned earlier is 1000lbs and a 1400lbs towing capacity. They're capable of doing both at the same time.
Oh ok but I see a lot of ATV’s and UTV’s up here since they are legal to drive on most roads here but I never see any 4x6 UTV’s but I’m sure if you want one they can be had if that’s what you want.

I have an old very old JD 4 x 5
4 drive wheels 1 Front-wheel but
it has to be 30 years old runs like a top
Goes anywhere you point it

Have had one of the first 6x4 JDs on our farm for years (around 20 and it was used when we bought it). Used for everything, has a ton of hours on it and still gets used all the time. Has the 3 cyl. diesel and fires up every time. If you found a good price on one, they are a great alternative to one of the newer UTVs if you aren't trying to go fast or run on to extreme of terrain. Its a work horse.

I have a Polaris Ranger 500 with hi and low range. It's selectable all 4 wheels locked (can't use on dry pavement) or 2 front wheels only or 1 rear wheel drive. The posts implying 2 wd with good tires work in snow couldn't be any more wrong. Snow requires 4wd I don't care how cool your tires are. My absolute have to have list would be a 4wd side by side with a dump bed and power steering. Cant say enough about how happy I am with my Ranger. Sold my pia trailer after learning the dump bed was way better than dragging a trailer around. Also something to ponder was last year we got so much snow in a storm that I couldn't get my Ranger out of the shed. It was close to 4 feet deep and my Ranger snowplow was worthless. Had to borrow a neighbors snow blower to clear a road to my plow to get it out of the shed. I have to do some welding to repair the damage it took from pushing the deep snow last year. First time in 5 years it got deep enough that my plow couldn't handle the snow. I now have a shiny new snowblower parked next to my Ranger just in case. Any snow up to maybe 24" to 30" or so is fine. Depth of snow that is packed by previous plowing doesn't count. Just stay in the previous tracks. Also as someone mentioned steering in 4wd is fine but the weight of the plow does affect it.

Last edited:
Haven't paid a lot of attention lately to any changes, but for a while, I believe Polaris was the only manufacturer that made true AWD. When on, if the rear tires slip, both fronts kick in. I liked the option of just flipping a switch and not having to worry about a locking diff. With Maxxis bighorns, my sportsman 500 really does go just about anywhere.

We have those tires on our Gator XUV825i with a six foot plow. They are the best tires I have ever run in snow and mud. Like having rubber chains on all the time.

Whatever you decided on, tires will be the most important thing to consider (other than basic reliability lol. What's the point if it doesn't run). It doesn't matter how fancy a machine you have or how much horsepower it has, tires are what connect it to the ground. I've had 2wd machines with good tires and they did really well, but it with what you want to do, 4wd better and worth the money.

Reactions: CentralVAWoodHeat
As Jazzberry said the snow depth and the machine you have will limit you. I have a big blower, and nothing yet has stopped it.

I bought new Maxxis Bighorns a few years back and they don't work for crap in 2wd trying to plow snow. Trust me I have done it. They are great tires but I need 4wd to climb up my gravel driveway unless I get a run at it. Completely erase any thoughts of plowing snow without 4wd.

Attachments

• inUomg62Speiru1UydPOXw.jpg
    inUomg62Speiru1UydPOXw.jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 289
  • fullsizeoutput_56ca.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_56ca.jpeg
    279 KB · Views: 334
Last edited: