What to do about next year?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm kind of dependent on what trees are being cut down in suburban backyards. It's not like there's a lot of public woods around here to wander through and take my pick.

Just picked up two car loads today and all red oak. Such problems to have.

Same here-for some reason, we have a lot of pine around. Well, we're rural, but there's no cutting in state parks here anyway, so it still depends on what people cut. Lots of folks won't burn it so it's an easy scrounge for us. I'd say 70-80% of our 25ish cords are pine.

A lot of good options for you to decide on. Most wood that you buy and they say is seasoned probably is no better than what you have sitting right in your own stacks. Yours might even be seasoned longer.

I hope for all you doubters out there you do your own testing and research and make your own conclusions, thats all I am saying, I have read countless articles about drying wood (firewood and lumber) and for the most part they are all on the same page.
When I first joined this site I had all sorts of people telling me these EPA stoves were "special" and needed really dry wood and had to dry it for 2 to 3 years but after burning with the new stove I realized I had been burning dry wood for over 30 years. The old stoves worked way better with dry wood also, sure you can burn wood that is not dry enough but you give up BTU's in the process besides the possible chimney fire.
So for all you new wood burners or the ones with limited storage use all the resources available and learn as much as you can and keep track of your drying times, I am more then willing to track mine and give the results.

Status
Not open for further replies.