What to do in the morning after

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

elkimmeg

what to do in the morning after the overnight burn: With these everburn type stoves, the coals should be raked to the back positioned in front of the everburn cast shoe all other burn technologies the pile raked to the front where the inlet air is.

Many new member may not be aware of the raked coals positioning and the need to rake them to knock the insulating ash off to promote hotter coals for the re-burn start up..

this advice also applies to the Harman Oakwood an Lopi Leyden they employ a similar technology as the everburn

Works on my Jotul Kennebec... wake up, put on tea water, rake coals to front of stove and cluster around primary air inlet, add wood, close door, open air inlet to full, walk back to kitchen, make tea, drink tea, walk back to stove, add a few more splits, back air down to 1/2, enjoy morning.

-- Mike

I'd be interested in finding out where the air comes from in my Quad 2700i.
There is a hole in the back wall of the stove, which I thought the startup air control works.
There is also a hole in the front floor-which I'm not sure what air comes through there-maybe startup air too?.
There are also the top tubes, which I think distributes primary air.

All the manual says is this:

START-UP AIR SYSTEM
The combustion air enters at the rear of the firebox through
the rear air tubes. This air supply is controlled by the Start-
Up Air Control.

PRIMARY AIR SYSTEM
The primary air enters at the upper front of the firebox near
the top of the glass door. This preheated air supplies the
necessary fresh oxygen to mix with the unburned gases,
helping to create secondary, tertiary and quaternary combustion.
This air is regulated by the Primary Air Control. For
more primary air (more heat), push rod in. For less primary
air (less heat), pull rod out. Figure 18.1.

Yup, remove a few scoops of ash and place it in the can. Rake a few coals up front. Add a few pieces to get her started. Check out sports scores from the night before on the interwebthingy. Adjust fire if needed and go take shower....

Open damper
Put a few smaller splits on while moving coals around with said split
Turn on coffee maker
Get dressed
Fill water bottles and get lunch ready
Add bigger splits
Jump on Hearth and see whats is up
Check the weather
Brush teeth and start truck (if cold enough)
Check stove close damper a bit
Go to work

Just did this this morning, as it as bout 32 outside (still 77 inside from overnight burn)

- Open damper (sometimes)
- Push any extra ash in front towards the sides of insert
- Pull coals forwards into large pile across front of stove (at same time push extra ash on sides towards back of stove)
- Open air control completely (redirecting all air to front bottom of insert (if you keep an insulating layer of ash, you can see the air puff the ash in front when you open the air up - at least on my insert)
- Wait about 5 minutes for coals to get hot (this morning I had some larger chunks too so they got hot quickly)
- Throw in a medium size split and leave air on high for about 15 mins.
- Shut air down to medium, directing about half (I assume) of air through burn tubes.

With my Hearthstone Heritage you dig out (rake) the red coals into the fount center of the fount door. The primary air inlet is there. Stack wood on the coals small first, then the big stuff. Shut the doors. Leave the primary air on full until you see a nice flame. Then close down the primary air as soon as possible to get a secondary burn going, otherwise you are just making creosote.

Well I dont want to sound like a #$%^ here BUT with my new Quad 4300ST I just open the ash door, rake the coals over a few times, spread them out in the center, add a few small splits and set the ACC, and close the ash door. go do what ever and come back later and load the stove up and set the air how you want it. No fear of over fireing the stove, as it resets to preset levels. It really has worked fine so far. although Im still checking it often on fire up but see no problems yet.

Thanks Elk for helping us new folk out with tricks of the trade. Being in IT, it reminds me of those helpful hint boxes that pop up after launching a newly installed program.

Status
Not open for further replies.