What to look for in a chimney sweep

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Feb 5, 2020
Scappoose, Oregon
Hi all. I'm looking to get my flue cleaned before winter here and I've been searching on google for a chimney sweep. Thing is, most don't have any reviews at all, and the ones that do have two or three tops. I want to get quality work, so are there any questions I should be asking? Certain equipment they should have? Hell, since I just have double walled pipe with two 45 degree bends on a one story, should I just buy the stuff and do it myself?

If you are up to it, learning to do this yourself is not a bad idea. It can be done top-down or bottom-up. Many folks use a sooteater on a drill to accomplish the task.
If you want to have a sweep do it, visit www.csia.org to get a list of sweeps that are certified in your area. This does not guarantee quality work, but it's a start in narrowing down choices to those that have passed training.

Back when I first started I asked around to the people I knew who burned for who they recommend, and also who my stove shop recommend. I did an online search, looked at if they were certified and also any reviews. I used them for years
I now do it myself, as its hard to schedule. I like to do 2 cleanings , one mid season 1 end of year. It was hard to get the mid season done as the weather would make them move the schedule. Sometimes I would have to skip the mid season cleaning.
Now I do it myself when its convenient, its not that involved done in like 20 minutes after cleaning out the stove fully and the cost of the soot eatter was less than the cost of 1 cleaning.. You could hire someone see how they do it and then do it yourself.. really.. its not hard.. look at what comes out, the quantity of what comes out and look carefully and inspect the pipe and stove.

The pretty much standard recommendation if you have no other method is call the local fire department and ask if there are any sweeps they can recommend. it usually works better with small town fire department. There is frequently one of them that do it on the side.

Reactions: BirthofSerpents
If you are up to it, learning to do this yourself is not a bad idea. It can be done top-down or bottom-up. Many folks use a sooteater on a drill to accomplish the task.
If you want to have a sweep do it, visit www.csia.org to get a list of sweeps that are certified in your area. This does not guarantee quality work, but it's a start in narrowing down choices to those that have passed training.

Thanks. Booked a chimney sweep from the list. It was a little more expensive than I expected but I do live 22 miles out and includes inspection. Ultimately, I want to watch the first time then I'm going to buy the stuff and start doing it myself.

I used to sweep top down at our old home. With a 10' step ladder on the asphalt driveway, I had acess easy access to the chimney, low pitch roof too. Moved 6yrs ago and needed a pipe and stove installed, called a small hearth shop near by, and got the number for a really good sweep. He did that install and I've been having him back to sweep every couple of years. I really like having him check the system over, a second set of eyes to spot potential problems.

Thanks. Booked a chimney sweep from the list. It was a little more expensive than I expected but I do live 22 miles out and includes inspection. Ultimately, I want to watch the first time then I'm going to buy the stuff and start doing it myself.
Good plan. What stove is this for? Can you add it to your signature line?

Ultimately, I want to watch the first time then I'm going to buy the stuff and start doing it myself.
I agree with @Woodsplitter67 this is a good way to go. I thought I knew what to do, but paying the pro and watching him the first time demonstrated a couple finer points I might not have picked up on my own.

Thanks! Before sweeping, make sure that the sweep puts a rag in the secondary supply tube when the baffle is removed. You should not have to tell them this, but some are not familiar with this stove and forget to do that. If it is forgotten, then the EBT could get plugged with soot.

Just booked the first cleaning for the stove at camp. I'm really curious to see how it is done , as well as what it produces. I know the wood I burned last year was not well seasoned. I'm much more well prepared this year( got wood cut and stacked early, bought a moisture meter and been checking fresh split faces, now running 18 - 20% ) I may also consider getting the tools and taking this job on myself after seeing it done. The camp is single story with a low pitched roof, and the roof is now a lot more solid !

Reactions: Sailrmike
I’m not seeing many suggestions on what to look for in a sweep and I’m surprised by it.

Here’s a link to some good info on CSIA website. Be sure and watch the video.

Confirmed a lot of previous thoughts for me.

Csia is a good place to start but honestly it only means they were willing to pay for the test and certification. And are reasonably good at taking tests. It shows they have a basic knowledge of the info involved. But there are many pretty poor certified guys. And many fantastic non certified guys. Ask around for references. And don't shop just for price.

Reactions: Hoytman
I just sent an email to a Master Sweep.

To be honest, I already know my hearth isn’t to code because it’s been there longer than I’ve been alive (well...almost). I don’t expect I will learn much other than I need to spend money. We shall see.

I selected the Master Sweep because it ensures me he wasn’t just hired yesterday by a company. I also chose him because he’s been in business near me for over 40 years and also because he more likely to know more about burning other fuels besides wood. I had already spoken to some locals and you mention an oil or coal fired stove and they give you this strange look. It’s a real turn-off!

I don’t just need a guy to tell me my hearth isn’t to code. I already know that. I want his suggestions for future changes that will be made to bring it to code. The plan is to exceed current code with any new changes.

I understand what you’re saying BHoller. The problem is weeding through all of them. Everyone of them wants to do a sweep and inspection and they charge for it. I won’t need that service from them all, but I will want to talk to different ones to get their input as well as estimates. Any advice on how to proceed? ( I’m asking because no one else seems to be asking these questions and contributing to an important topic.)

Csia is a good place to start but honestly it only means they were willing to pay for the test and certification. And are reasonably good at taking tests. It shows they have a basic knowledge of the info involved. But there are many pretty poor certified guys. And many fantastic non certified guys. Ask around for references. And don't shop just for price.
Good post. I was surprised to see the NBC video and the CSIA “expert” mention very similar comments. Apparently they realize there needs to be some regulating of the field of “experts”. Admitting that is in the right track. I see the same thing with other certifications in various fields. Some fields, and I know this first hand, can “push” people through certifications and on to instructors with little experience...so long as they can teach the material.
So yeah...certifications don’t mean much or they can mean a lot. It just depends on the guy being certified and his own interest in the field he’s representing. A guy like you is more interested in his line of work than most. That’s one of the first things I look for.

Get this...
Company called me back. Once they found out I burn oil in one chimney (oil furnace) and coal in another chimney they immediately said they do not clean coal chimneys and do not inspect chimney’s that burn coal. The lady told the Master Sweep said he doesn’t even know who to recommend for me to call.

I didn’t even get the chance to tell her I had planned to burn wood and coal in the same stove, but haven’t burned wood yet because the flue is much hotter when burning wood and the plan was to get it inspected before burning much wood in it.

If a Master sweep can’t tell me, who can???

They still wanted $100 per chimney just to talk about changes. Ha!

Last edited:
After talking to the first business owner of the Master Sweep, they suggested another company not knowing if they cleaned coal chimney’s.

I called the recommended second guy and he said they don’t clean coal burning chimney’s either. However, he talked to me at length (near going home time as well) and offered to come and take a look at my chimney’s. Mind you, the first company charged $100 per chimney, and this guy charges $289+ tax, per chimney.

He said they don’t clean coal burning chimney’s because they’re so dirty,

RED FLAG number one!! Why the red flag?

I guess because I am still willing to pay this joker an extra $189 per chimney for inspections in two chimney’s and this guy thinks anthracite coal burns sooty and dirty. LOL!

You would think these guys would make it their business to know chimney cleaning. It’s not like I’m the only person in my area that burns coal. Amish folks live here also and they all burn coal. Of course, they likely clean their own chimney’s as well.

I’ll probably just cancel. So much for professionals!! I guess they assume all coal is nasty like bituminous or lignite and they’ve never heard the term “clean coal” mentioned on nightly news.

Yes...I’m frustrated. Why shouldn’t I be. Haven’t found a sweep yet that knows anything about burning anthracite. At the mere mention of coal no one really wants to mess with you.

I’d be a fool to pay this guy over $600 just to clean and inspect my two 10ft chimney’s. Heck, I can buy and reline them myself with new clay for far less and it’ll be fairly simple to do, even if I use SD liners. We’ll see...I may not even let him get on the roof when he gets here...pay $100 bucks for giving some hearth re-build questions and call it good.

Last edited:
I just sent an email to a Master Sweep.

To be honest, I already know my hearth isn’t to code because it’s been there longer than I’ve been alive (well...almost). I don’t expect I will learn much other than I need to spend money. We shall see.

I selected the Master Sweep because it ensures me he wasn’t just hired yesterday by a company. I also chose him because he’s been in business near me for over 40 years and also because he more likely to know more about burning other fuels besides wood. I had already spoken to some locals and you mention an oil or coal fired stove and they give you this strange look. It’s a real turn-off!

I don’t just need a guy to tell me my hearth isn’t to code. I already know that. I want his suggestions for future changes that will be made to bring it to code. The plan is to exceed current code with any new changes.

I understand what you’re saying BHoller. The problem is weeding through all of them. Everyone of them wants to do a sweep and inspection and they charge for it. I won’t need that service from them all, but I will want to talk to different ones to get their input as well as estimates. Any advice on how to proceed? ( I’m asking because no one else seems to be asking these questions and contributing to an important topic.)
Honestly if you want to get someone out there to look at it and give you options you are probably going to have to pay for an inspection. Clean it before they get there and tell them ahead of time that you have. You can't expect them to come out and talk to you about it for an hour or so for nothing. And yes you probably want a guy who has been doing it a while. The danger there. Is that they are old school and stuck in their ways. Some have the approach of if nothing has happened yet it is fine. And that is very dangerous.

After talking to the first business owner of the Master Sweep, they suggested another company not knowing if they cleaned coal chimney’s.

I called the recommended second guy and he said they don’t clean coal burning chimney’s either. However, he talked to me at length (near going home time as well) and offered to come and take a look at my chimney’s. Mind you, the first company charged $100 per chimney, and this guy charges $289+ tax, per chimney.

He said they don’t clean coal burning chimney’s because they’re so dirty,

RED FLAG number one!! Why the red flag?

I guess because I am still willing to pay this joker an extra $189 per chimney for inspections in two chimney’s and this guy thinks anthracite coal burns sooty and dirty. LOL!

You would think these guys would make it their business to know chimney cleaning. It’s not like I’m the only person in my area that burns coal. Amish folks live here also and they all burn coal. Of course, they likely clean their own chimney’s as well.

I’ll probably just cancel. So much for professionals!! I guess they assume all coal is nasty like bituminous or lignite and they’ve never heard the term “clean coal” mentioned on nightly news.

Yes...I’m frustrated. Why shouldn’t I be. Haven’t found a sweep yet that knows anything about burning anthracite. At the mere mention of coal no one really wants to mess with you.

I’d be a fool to pay this guy over $600 just to clean and inspect my two 10ft chimney’s. Heck, I can buy and reline them myself with new clay for far less and it’ll be fairly simple to do, even if I use SD liners. We’ll see...I may not even let him get on the roof when he gets here...pay $100 bucks for giving some hearth re-build questions and call it good.
As someone who cleans both wood stove chimneys and chimneys servicing anthracite burning appliances. Coal in any form is nasty to work on. It is hard on equipment it clogs the vacume bag really quickly etc. You also need to pay extra for insurance to be covered for sooting a house when servicing coal. I really wish I could stop working on coal units but that just isn't an option here.

Honestly if you want to get someone out there to look at it and give you options you are probably going to have to pay for an inspection. Clean it before they get there and tell them ahead of time that you have. You can't expect them to come out and talk to you about it for an hour or so for nothing. And yes you probably want a guy who has been doing it a while. The danger there. Is that they are old school and stuck in their ways. Some have the approach of if nothing has happened yet it is fine. And that is very dangerous.
I hear you and I don’t expect them to come out for nothing. Run a camera down it and I’ll pay it. But anyone can look down it with a flashlight and seen an obstruction...it’s only 10ft of 8”x8” (both) chimneys.

I’m more worried about the clearances you mention so often than I am anything else.

All I’m wanting to do is see if the clearances are fine, leave it, or tear out the 5 liners and re- line.

Reactions: bholler
As someone who cleans both wood stove chimneys and chimneys servicing anthracite burning appliances. Coal in any form is nasty to work on. It is hard on equipment it clogs the vacume bag really quickly etc. You also need to pay extra for insurance to be covered for sooting a house when servicing coal. I really wish I could stop working on coal units but that just isn't an option here.
Fair enough. I get that. They can use my old shop vac if they want. Has a HEPA filter and enough hose to leave the unit outside and reach the stove. I get the insurance idea...my wife is an agent. I’m just saying it’s not going to be like cleaning a chimney that burns bituminous is all...no buckets and buckets of nasty black soot. I only burned anthracite for two months...not two full winters.

Of course, I know it’s hard to price anything over the phone without first seeing it and I suspect they“ll get here and look at it and may not even charge that much.

I wouldn’t feel so bad if they charged what the Master sweep charged, but this guy is nearly $200 more per chimney.

I’ll probably just eat it for their suggestions on updating everything. I’d like to establish a working relationship with a sweep and let them maintain it just for records for when I sell the place. They have bills to pay too, but a two hundred dollar inspection difference seems odd to me.

Get this...
Company called me back. Once they found out I burn oil in one chimney (oil furnace) and coal in another chimney they immediately said they do not clean coal chimneys and do not inspect chimney’s that burn coal. The lady told the Master Sweep said he doesn’t even know who to recommend for me to call.

I didn’t even get the chance to tell her I had planned to burn wood and coal in the same stove, but haven’t burned wood yet because the flue is much hotter when burning wood and the plan was to get it inspected before burning much wood in it.

If a Master sweep can’t tell me, who can???

They still wanted $100 per chimney just to talk about changes. Ha!
Assuming there are other people in your area burning coal, ask around.

Better yet ask the people you buy your coal from what sweep/inspection service they themselves or other coal burning users use.

Assuming there are other people in your area burning coal, ask around.

Better yet ask the people you buy your coal from what sweep/inspection service they themselves or other coal burning users use.
Yeah I would think finding a sweep who works on coal stuff in Ohio would be possible

Hoytman, if you want to read up on how often other anthracite coal users clean their chimneys, dive into this website, it's a treasure trove of information, mostly all anthracite related:

A search for chimney sweep gets lots of discussions: https://coalpail.com/coal-forum/search.php?keywords=chimney+sweep&sf=firstpost

Thanks! Before sweeping, make sure that the sweep puts a rag in the secondary supply tube when the baffle is removed. You should not have to tell them this, but some are not familiar with this stove and forget to do that. If it is forgotten, then the EBT could get plugged with soot.

So that gasket on the baffle feed tube fell apart. Two questions: one does it need to be there to operate safely/efficiently? I have nothing to replace it with for the time being. Two: I thought there was a post where you described making one instead of ordering it but I can't find it. I might try that if it's an option as I'm still waiting for a my door gasket I special ordered almost a month ago...