What type of drill bit do you use to drill Himalayan rock salt?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a chunk of Himalayan rock salt that I need to drill a hole for a piece of rope. :angry:

What type of drill bit do you use to drill Himalayan rock salt ? o_O
th?&id=OIP.Mffaf3be533e015e1bb851c5db1f21832o0&w=239&h=239&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0&r=0.jpg th?&id=OIP.M8578751753223b0d868b8f81b7dfd2c8o0&w=300&h=242&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0&r=0.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Jazzberry
They are called masonry bits. They are made for drilling holes in concrete and masonry. They have a carbide tip and should work fine for rock salt.

I think a regular drill bit would work ok also rock salt is pretty soft. I would not use a hammer drill in hammer mode on it though if you do use a masonry bit.

Reactions: wock
I used a 3/8" masonry drill bit in an ordinary drill.
Easy!

Reactions: bholler and Jon1270
I would ask this question on the Himalayan Rock Salt Forum. But I would for sure use a pro version drill.

Reactions: 711mhw
Can I ask what Himalayan rock salt is used for, with or without rope? I have never heard of the stuff.

Can I ask what Himalayan rock salt is used for, with or without rope? I have never heard of the stuff.

And I'll bite, Why does one put a piece of rock salt on a rope?

upload_2016-7-14_9-18-9.jpeg
Our two horses love it!

FYI the wife bought one with a rope for her horse ..... My horse's ends up in the poop pile .. can you say we some rope!

Last edited:
And I'll bite, Why does one put a piece of rock salt on a rope?

View attachment 182154 Our two horses love it!

FYI the wife bought one with a rope for her horse ..... My horse's ends up in the poop pile .. can you say we some rope!
Ever hear of soap on a rope? Just don' t drop it.,.,....

<>

there's places around here that sell it as lamps. does that mean some wandering horse may break into your house to eat it? =D

Possible if he's been targeted by a decent marketing department.

<>

Status
Not open for further replies.