What type of stove is this?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

polarbeard

Feb 1, 2017
Foley, Minnesota
Hey everyone, new to the forum here. Just bought my first house. Found this in the garage, would like to use it to heat my shop but don't really know anything about it. What type of stove is this and how do I set it up
tumblr_okr9j5sdFs1w55r6no1_1280.jpg
tumblr_okr9j5sdFs1w55r6no2_1280.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like a homemade shop stove with no brand, but the strapping around the cabinet and the fancy door make me wonder if this is a cabinet stove with the cabinet removed.

Looks like a door kit with a homemade box, barrel stove kit type of arrangement.

Could have been a forced air heater, just missing the cabinet now. Looks like it had a hot water coil in the firebox judging by the pipes penetrating the back firewall. I bet its a pig of a stove.

Could have been a forced air heater, just missing the cabinet now. Looks like it had a hot water coil in the firebox judging by the pipes penetrating the back firewall. I bet its a pig of a stove.
it does have a hot water coil inside - wasn't sure if that used to be hooked up to a radiator or what the deal was. and yes - this thing is heavy as all get out

so, as long as I pipe it out through the wall or ceiling of my garage and keep it a little ways away from combustibles - the wall, cars etc. - I should be fine to light a fire in it ya?

so, as long as I pipe it out through the wall or ceiling of my garage and keep it a little ways away from combustibles - the wall, cars etc. - I should be fine to light a fire in it ya?
Do a light test on it. Wait for night time, put a shop light in it and shut the door, then turn out the lights and see if the seams have any holes. Let your conscious be your guide, light it up.

Wondering if this might have been a coal heater. Does it have a shaker grate in it?

+1 "sell that for scrap and buy a stove i know is safe, i mean it is fire inside a building, always better to err on the side of caution"