What wood is this ??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HDRock

Minister of Fire
Oct 25, 2012
Grand Blanc, Mi
I could probably go research and figure it out, but I'll ask here any way cuz U guys are probably quicker :)

IMG_20121213_153836.jpgIMG_20121213_154031.jpg

White oak.

Guessing some kind of Maple,maybe Silver.

I'll go with maple.

I would throw my money behind it being white oak. But it is hard to tell.

Yep, sometimes these pics can be deceiving. Second pic shows bark pulling away form wood, fungus growing on cut end and darkening. Probably cut last spring or earlier. Shows some signs of white oak in second pic, but first pic shows characteristic "ski trails" of red oak.

As always, I reserve the right to be wrong. :)

Not white oak either red or black oak

I see a lot of oak leaves on the ground.........

Reactions: TreePointer
Looks like white oak to me. Reminds me of silver.

Oak or maple
May change mychoice after seeing the grain, color
after it's cut & split ;)

Thanks you all
Dang ,I took more pics but they were not on phone , I just thought I pushed the button down I guess, or didn't hold my mouth right :rolleyes: :)
I am getting a smidgen better at identification, and doing research.
The guy said This stuff has been down two years, and there is a ship load of it , ya SHIP not the other word., and some standing dead
People were hired to clear trees , something went sour, and there they lay

two species. One on left is R.Oak the other is Hard Maple

The one on the left looks like red oak, not sure about the one on the right.

Can you crack 'em open and give us some split pics? I'm going with Red on the first pic...

First pic looks like red oak. Second looks like sugar maple or pignut hickory. Both from same tree?

Status
Not open for further replies.