Rearscreen Posted By Rearscreen, Jul 12, 2018 at 10:50 AM

1. Rearscreen

Rearscreen
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 21, 2014
    Loc:
    Vermont
    There is a smoke dragon inefficient wood stove in our relatives New Hampshire hearth now. There is talk of replacing it. Any suggestions on what might fit - either an insert or a woodstove?
    Debs dads fireplace general dims.jpg

2. Blazingembers7749

Blazingembers7749
    Member 2.
    NULL

Jun 26, 2018
    Loc:
    Maryland
    Enviro boston 1700 insert would fit. As well as many others. Thats just one of my favorites would require a hearth extension for ember protection

3. Blazingembers7749

Blazingembers7749
    Member 2.
    NULL

Jun 26, 2018
    Loc:
    Maryland
    Put this one in today

Attached Files:

stovelark and Jan Pijpelink like this.
  4. begreen

begreen
    Mooderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Looks like several inserts would fit. How big is the house? How large a room/area is the fireplace in and how open is the floorplan?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Blazingembers7749

Blazingembers7749
    Member 2.
    NULL

Jun 26, 2018
    Loc:
    Maryland
    What size flue? Im assuming your on a 13 by 13 flue with a chimney height over 13ft

6. Rearscreen

Rearscreen
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 21, 2014
    Loc:
    Vermont
    Yes the chimney height is over 13ft and as far as floor space etc., the deal is the existing "wood stove" if you can call it that, has been attended by the same stubborn Yankee for who knows how long. The house is large with baseboard. Anything would be better than what he has now. I believe when I was there I saw flames through the door edges. They have been getting "by" with it all of these years. But that said, upgrading to some newfangled thingamajig might be too much for him. I will ask if he'd consider an insert.

7. begreen

begreen
    Mooderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    If you can, send a picture of the current install. A modern stove will burn a lot cleaner, safer and will provide a nice fire view while saving them wood. But it will mean relearning how to burn wood properly and the modern stove is going to need fully seasoned wood to burn correctly.

Do you know if they have a stainless steel liner connected to the current stove(or insert)? My guess is no.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. weatherguy

weatherguy
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Feb 20, 2009
    Loc:
    Central Mass
    You might be able to put a free stander there too.

9. yooper08

yooper08
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 4, 2016
    Loc:
    South Lyon, MI
    I didn't notice this before until I just caught it, but what's the 2' 4" measurement? Also, does the firebox taper towards the top?

10. Blazingembers7749

Blazingembers7749
    Member 2.
    NULL

Jun 26, 2018
    Loc:
    Maryland
    I believe it is refering to the opening hieght. From the top of the hearth to the top of the opening or lintel area

11. yooper08

yooper08
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 4, 2016
    Loc:
    South Lyon, MI
    There's the yellow measurement of 2' 4.75" that I assumed was the opening height, but there's also a gray one that's 2' 4" that crosses the 18" hearth measurement.

12. Blazingembers7749

Blazingembers7749
    Member 2.
    NULL

Jun 26, 2018
    Loc:
    Maryland
    Yeah i see that now i dont know mabe he is trying to say that the ceter opening height is 3/4" off but i really have no idea mabe he can clarify

13. weatherguy

weatherguy
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Feb 20, 2009
    Loc:
    Central Mass
    I think that's the height in the back of the opening.