What's a fair price?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

ScotO

OK so I've always sharpened my own chains, dressed my own bars, tuned my own saws. I did some bars and chains for a couple other people and they liked how they cut so much that the trickle-down effect has begun and I have others asking for my services. My question is what would a fair price (on average) for a 20 to 30" chains? Bars cleaned and dressed? Not looking to get rich but my time is worth a couple bucks (esp. when the wife has PLENTY for me to do elsewhere). I was thinking around 3 bucks per chain and 5 bucks for bar dressing.....5 to 10 bucks for a carburetor tune-up. Sound reasonable? Honest opinions please.....

Scotty Overkill said:
OK so I've always sharpened my own chains, dressed my own bars, tuned my own saws. I did some bars and chains for a couple other people and they liked how they cut so much that the trickle-down effect has begun and I have others asking for my services. My question is what would a fair price (on average) for a 20 to 30" chains? Bars cleaned and dressed? Not looking to get rich but my time is worth a couple bucks (esp. when the wife has PLENTY for me to do elsewhere). I was thinking around 3 bucks per chain and 5 bucks for bar dressing.....5 to 10 bucks for a carburetor tune-up. Sound reasonable? Honest opinions please.....

$30 per hour.

How many chains can you sharpen in an hour? Take that number and divide it by $30. Do the same with the bars. Then just SWAG the engine work.

Scotty - your too cheap. The cheapest I have EVER seen a shop grind a chain was $5.00, and that was several years ago. Bar - your call. A tune up - $20 min.

20 and under 5.00 20 and over 8.00. This will add up around 30.00 an hour. Most everthing you get will be under 20.

Thanks for the input guys. Like I said I'm not in business I just have a knack and an interest in doing it, mainly do it for friends. Yes Jags I am cheap, in more ways than one! %-P

$5-$7 a chain . . . cheaper than a shop, but still worth your time. A good deal for other folks and you.

Jake, I think that's around what I will do them for. Chains will be from 4 to 8 bucks, bar rails ground and dressed for 5 to 10 bucks, tune-ups for 10 to 30 bucks (depending on how involved I get), maybe more if I gotta change out the impulse and fuel lines, etc... sound fair? All parts replaced would be extra. $30 per hour is steep in this area, and like I said it's more of a hobby thing than anything else. I'd do it on a per-job basis. Give an estimate and try to stay in that estimate. Sound fair? I'm pretty good at workin on them, might as well make a couple bucks while I'm at it.

Scotty Overkill said:
Jake, I think that's around what I will do them for. Chains will be from 4 to 8 bucks, bar rails ground and dressed for 5 to 10 bucks, tune-ups for 10 to 30 bucks (depending on how involved I get), maybe more if I gotta change out the impulse and fuel lines, etc... sound fair? All parts replaced would be extra. $30 per hour is steep in this area, and like I said it's more of a hobby thing than anything else. I'd do it on a per-job basis. Give an estimate and try to stay in that estimate. Sound fair? I'm pretty good at workin on them, might as well make a couple bucks while I'm at it.

As long as you are comfortable with it, then do it. This isn't your livelihood...more of a hobby that pays.

lukem said:
As long as you are comfortable with it, then do it. This isn't your livelihood...more of a hobby that pays.
Lukem that is more-or-less how I feel. Trouble is, I got around 6 saws I want to put together for MYSELF.....more toys for the shed! I have a lot of saws, that's another thing I am going to do. Start selling some of that stuff off. I am running out of room.

Letter to Mr. Scotty Overkill

Dear Mr. Overkill
We here at the Infernal Revenooers Society have determined that you owe us 127.00 plus your left testicle. Please send both back in the enclosed envelope. If not paid in 10 days also include your right one.

Gary_602z said:
Letter to Mr. Scotty Overkill

Dear Mr. Overkill
We here at the Infernal Revenooers Society have determined that you owe us 127.00 plus your left testicle. Please send both back in the enclosed envelope. If not paid in 10 days also include your right one.
lol......yeah that's an issue...do I have to claim my 'tips'?

I've got 16" bars. To have them sharpened I've had folks charge from $4 - $10. I can buy new chains for $11 with free shipping so If it isn't less than $8 I wouldn't pay for it.

Good luck. Wish you were near me I need some chains sharpened.

seeyal8r said:
I've got 16" bars. To have them sharpened I've had folks charge from $4 - $10. I can buy new chains for $11 with free shipping so If it isn't less than $8 I wouldn't pay for it.

If you were closer I'd treat you right. I'll do the smaller chains like those for around 3 bucks a piece, and I was thinking if someone came to me with 6 or more chains, I would cut them a better deal. Not in it to get rich. Just a side hobby with benefits...

Scotty Overkill said:
seeyal8r said:

If you were closer I'd treat you right. I'll do the smaller chains like those for around 3 bucks a piece, and I was thinking if someone came to me with 6 or more chains, I would cut them a better deal. Not in it to get rich. Just a side hobby with benefits...

5 bucks for 20 and under will be the best deal around if your good. I took my sign down a year go and still get people droping off chains. Most will also drop it off with the saw they dont even know how to change it out. (Let alone run and buy a new one) Thats can be a little tricky for anyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.