What's in a trash compactor?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Water pressure was actually one of the better ideas among the alternative solutions listed, but...

In terms of the compactor, I haven't actually looked it up, (I need to do so) but I know that at least some brands are designed using a scissors lift type mechanism - the motor drives a gear on the scissor lift shaft to extend and retract it, which seems pretty stable as a starting point. I haven't pulled it apart to see what there is for guides, but the ram goes into a bucket that is about 10" x 14", which is a pretty wide seeming stance, though the side load issue is something that I might need to give more consideration to...

For what it's worth, the unit is a Kitchen Aid by Hobart , I think model #KCS 100C, but I'm not certain... Looking at apparent date codes on the paperwork, manufacture date is probably 1979, which is consistent with when the house was built.

Gooserider

I say take it apart and see if you can make it work somehow. If it won"t put it back together and sell it. What do you have to lose? Besides that pool would be good for your injury.

I didn't see the 1979 part. probably not worth selling. %-P

I read the damned thing. I have just never owned a trash compactor. You're a mod. Delete the ones you don't like. :lol:

Goose, how about a swinging platform actuated by a very small hydraulic cylinder, powered by a hand pump from a porta-power? the hand pump could be mounted so it can be reached from the up or down position. I have extra pumps, hoses, pistons etc., and if you design something I will build it for you.

Sorry, I don't know anything about trash compactors but would like to see you as mobile as possible.

By the way, the faucet I installed in your bathroom has been recalled. If you and Maryanne pick out a new model, I will replace it.

Boston Globe
June 20,2010

The Mass. National Guard continues its effort to contain the giant spill emanating from a faucet blowout in Billerica.

Status
Not open for further replies.