What's the best wood stove fit for my old round brick fireplace?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Oct 26, 2021
Seattle, WA
Hey all!

Moving from a home with a wood stove to one with a fire place, no wood stove. I can't go back to living a life without a stove. :)

Looking for a good fit free standing wood stove to put into my masonry fireplace. Pics below. I'm at the phase in my research where I just need help figuring out if something would fit. What do you think? What would fit? I have been reading the clearance guidelines on different models I'm looking at and paying attention to what those say, it's just such a tight fit... I'm looking to buy a stove off a neighbor or something so it's not soooo expensive. There's a jotul 8 floating around near me I'm interested in, but wondering if that would fit alright?

Info:
- House is one floor with an attic, built in 1958, 1280 sq ft total, fireplace is in the middle of the house.
- Stove/fireplace isn't the only heat in the house, but would love something that could heat up the room great/a good chunk of the house.
- Fireplace dimensions are in this photo below.
- the back wall of the fireplace slants forward a bit, in case you can't see that in the photo.
- there's about a 1/2 - 1 inch step up from the firebed to the bricks in front of it creating that seat alongside the fireplace.

Happy to provide more info if that's helpful.
Thanks in advance!
Untitled_Artwork 29.png IMG_5340 copy.jpg

Last edited:
Great looking fireplace. With only 24" height the best bet will be an insert. It doesn't have to have a surround if you want to keep that nice arch exposed. You will need to budget for a thorough chimney cleaning and a stainless liner installation to connect to the stove or insert too.

Great looking fireplace. With only 24" height the best bet will be an insert. It doesn't have to have a surround if you want to keep that nice arch exposed. You will need to budget for a thorough chimney cleaning and a stainless liner installation to connect to the stove or insert too.
Thanks for the info! The 24" limit is really only the arch, then it gets taller behind that. The arch is 5" thick, with 16" between the back wall and the arch where the heigh of the arch is (that back wall slants forward slightly as it goes up). That make any difference or no? I really do want to keep the arch visible and not use an insert if possible. Here's a pic.
IMG_5450 copy.jpg

An insert without the surround would leave the arch uncovered and exposed.