What's wrong with splitting even the small rounds?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I prefer to split everything because rounds don't seem to season as well as split wood. I find some of the rounds that I have stacked, even small ones, grow mold and seem heavy (wet) while similar wood that I have split is solid, mold-free, and very dry.
Haven't had that happen, myself. Burn lots of rounds, no issue. Small splits burn way hot and way fast. If I look for a long cat burn, I load large pieces.

I tend to split anything that is bigger than I can grasp easily in one hand . . . it works for me.

Reactions: AJS56 and jackatc1
Not sure if Jake was the first to mention that in another thread, but w/ my average hands I've been splitting stuff I cannot palm as well. Hopefully between the wood that comes off from mis-strikes with my X27, small branches, <5in rounds, and stuff I split that I cannot palm, I'll have a nice variety.

Status
Not open for further replies.