What's your favorite BEER?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I just found about about this place:

http://www.ebenezerspub.net/

One of their beers is ranked #1 in the world and it's one of the top destinations in the US and the world. Never heard of it before and I live an hour away. I guess I'll be checking them out in the near future.
Don’t believe everything you read on the Internet. I assume you’re talking about their claim of, "Black Albert: World's #1 beer". Sure, someone somewhere may have said Black Albert is the "World's #1 beer", but it wasn't anyone without some very questionable bias.

With all of the styles, picking the "World's #1 beer" would be like picking the "world's best song" or "world's best painting". But if you must, check beeradvocate scores, and you'll find that Black Albert has a fairly midland 4.26 rating by roughly 1800 reviewers. Unrated by "the bros".

I don't see much on their tap list that would make it worth an hour's drive, but they have some good stuff in bottles. Westmalle, Rochforte, St. Bernardus, Grimbergen... that's where it's at. They should replace what they have on tap with some of those, IMO.

Last edited:
wow that royal stout will plant ya if ya not already sitting 13.5% abv

wow that royal stout will plant ya if ya not already sitting 13.5% abv

Most of the beer I buy is 10% - 18%. It’s the “new normal”. Had a 14% Imperial Stout yesterday. Just one, tho.

Trouble is, for you football fans, is making just one or two of these last an entire game. Three or more ABV 14%s will put most folks to sleep on the couch, especially if there’s a wood stove nearby.

Reactions: AlbergSteve
had a couple or 4 of these with 5 friends tonight just a nice simple everyday beer that goes with just about everything on tap very easy drinker
hero_2017fattire.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Ashful
Had an incredible offering by FOUNDERS "Canadian Breakfast Stout" at my local sports bar(right across the street). 11% + ABV Rich ,black ,creamy, slightly chocolatey . Not cheap @ $14 a mug . $41 for a growler which brings it down to about $8 a mug. Ill have to see if they bottle this stuff for sale at my local distributor.

That's a stout stout. A couple of pints of that breakfast brew and I'd be out to lunch.

Had a new one today, “Redneck Wedding” bourbon barrel-aged Quad by Lickinghole Creek. It was tasty, but didn’t live up to my expectations for a barrel-aged Quad. That bar has been set too high, by a few others. Great name, for both the brew and the maker, though.

Reactions: Seasoned Oak
Had a new one today, “Redneck Wedding” bourbon barrel-aged Quad by Lickinghole Creek. It was tasty, but didn’t live up to my expectations for a barrel-aged Quad. That bar has been set too high, by a few others. Great name, for both the brew and the maker, though.
Wow theres a name to stand out in a sea of craft beers offerings!!! Had a good Quad at my local Craft brewers pub on Saturday ,seems like a whisky light, about 11% .Had to go for a second on that one.

Last edited:
Up for taste testing tonight with a calamares appetizer is a variety pak from Ommegang , 3 Philosophers ,Rosetta ,Gnomegang,and Hennepin Saison cooling down now.

That's a stout stout. A couple of pints of that breakfast brew and I'd be out to lunch.
I had 2 Quads and this Stout along with a coconut porter and a chocolate mint IPA .I was in a good mood for sure ,I think I promised the wife a big vacation and who knows what else Saturday night. Yikes!!

Up for taste testing tonight with a calamares appetizer is a variety pak from Ommegang , 3 Philosophers ,Rosetta ,Gnomegang,and Hennepin Saison cooling down now.

Three Philosophers is good, but local bars claim they’ve gone nuts on the keg pricing, recently. It used to be fairly popular in my few local haunts, but it’s fallen off, and pricing may be the reason.

Gnomegang was decent. It’s been a year or two since we’ve had it on tap locally, but I remember liking it well enough.

The Lickinghole Quad was 13.6%. I kept myself to just one.

Awww, Ashful, really? The Brits didn't want their beer to taste like crap when they got to India, and for that, I thank them!
Spent the afternoon splitting and stacking...
P_20180226_162851.jpg

...came in the house to catch up on hearth.com news, cracked this one open...
P_20180226_164555.jpg
... and saw your post...:(.

Reactions: Ashful
IPA... because they need to make beer for people with bad taste, too. ;-)
Well it was at the bottom of the pack ,all the other brews were much better. Although there is ONE exception to the lackluster IPAs, Weyerbacher Double Simcoe.

Three Philosophers is good, but local bars claim they’ve gone nuts on the keg pricing, recently. It used to be fairly popular in my few local haunts, but it’s fallen off, and pricing may be the reason.
Gnomegang was decent. It’s been a year or two since we’ve had it on tap locally, but I remember liking it well enough.
So the rosetta has been a disappointment. Kind of weak and thin. Not something I will look for in the future.
Ill try the other 3 one at a time this week.

IPA... because they need to make beer for people with bad taste, too. ;-)
Fighting words out west. Folks out here like it hopppy. Not my thing really, but I have friends that push the ibu and hop level to crazy limits. (They also like industrial strength coffee.)

Fighting words out west. Folks out here like it hopppy. Not my thing really, but I have friends that push the ibu and hop level to crazy limits. (They also like industrial strength coffee.)
Damn right! Our last property was 1/2 acre and I had room for about 20 hop plants, cascades, galena, Mt. Hood and Nugget. We now have 2 acres and can't wait to put in a bit of a hop yard - nothing under 10% alpha acid! Well, maybe cascades.
And I've started roasting my own beans because I want the freshest high-test out of my Rancilio...

Last weekend I started 2 batches of new brew with lots of hops. Love the citrus type hops. I roast my own coffee beans and only drink double espresso's. No cream, no sugar.
Jan, what are you using to roast? I've been using a popcorn popper with excellent results.

Chocolate. Mint. India. Pale. Ale . Five words that should never be seen or spoken in the same sentence...

Last edited:
Yeah... fighting words here too. ;-) I blame the amateurs. IPA's are an easy homebrew, or for new breweries starting out. So, they flooded the market 20 years ago, and became automatically associated with the microbrew fad.

I'm just glad we live in a time when folks have choices of a lot of high quality product, whether tasteful or not! I used to have to drive long distances and visit places that would import Euro brews illegally, to get the stuff I can buy in half the local bars today.

You reminded me of one of my favorite special brews from Allagash: James Bean. Basically, their Tripel aged in bourbon barrels, similar to Curiuex, and then infused with cold-brewed coffee. Not a daily drinker, don't buy it by the case or you'll be sick of it after the first three or four, but it's damn good on occasion.

https://www.allagash.com/beer/james-bean/?ao_confirm

I've only ever had it on tap, but their site says they bottle it in 750 mL bottles.

Reactions: Jan Pijpelink
Actually there is a lot of science and technique behind some of them. I've had some double IPAs that have completely surprised me. But yes, there's a lot of just ordinary IPAs out there too.