Where can I get firebrick?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fabsroman

Minister of Fire
Jun 1, 2011
West Friendship, Maryland
Looking for a place in central Maryland or something mail order. I need 12" x 6" x 2" or 9" x 6" x 2" firebrick. I could go with anything larger than that too, as long as it is 2" thick since I have the saw to cut it down to size. Just wondering if there is a go to place for this sort of stuff, because doing a google search is giving me a headache.

I could order it from the stove manufacturer, but they want $17 plus shipping for it from Missouri. Wondering if there is anything closer in Maryland or on the east coast, that will get the job done.

Usually the only alternative to paying high retail/shipping price for non-standard brick or refractory is to find a local refractory manufacturer or supply house that is willing to do retail to small customers rather than just large industrial clients. I lucked into finding one north of Boston, selling all sorts of odd thing for dirt cheap (overstock). So you might ask a local potter where he gets kiln supplies, or try any of these suppliers on this link, but I wouldn't get your hopes up:
http://www.thomasnet.com/maryland/fire-brick-8090409-1.html

Usually the only alternative to paying high retail/shipping price for non-standard brick or refractory is to find a local refractory manufacturer or supply house that is willing to do retail to small customers rather than just large industrial clients. I lucked into finding one north of Boston, selling all sorts of odd thing for dirt cheap (overstock). So you might ask a local potter where he gets kiln supplies, or try any of these suppliers on this link, but I wouldn't get your hopes up:
http://www.thomasnet.com/maryland/fire-brick-8090409-1.html

Yeah, think I am just going to get some bricks from the manufacturer at $12 and $16 a piece. Scary thing is what happens to me if the furnace manufacturer goes out of business. Guess firebricks would be the least of my worries. Then again, I guess the entire problem could be solved with a new furnace from a different manufacturer.

Local stone/brick place here sells firebrick. Try local brickyards...

Problem is finding 2" x 6" brick... if standard size can be made to work, yes, that is readily available.

Status
Not open for further replies.