New England (MA, CT, ME, NH, VT, RI) Where do you CT people buy pellets?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like you need a new central heating system. A BTU is a BTU regardless of where it comes from. A ton of pellets at $340 is equivalent to about $3.05 oil. Of course if your distribution system sucks and your furnace/boiler is old anything can cost more.

The USDA Forest Products Laboratory has a fuel calculator at:
http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/products/publications/specific_pub.php?posting_id=17526&header_id=p
which can calculate all those values for you. The Excel sheet is very nice.

So I will be getting my first pellet stove very soon and installed for this upcoming winter (Harman XXV). The seller gives two free tons of New England pellets with the purchase but after that I will need pellets. Where do you guys get your pellets here in CT and who have you noticed has good prices?

I am located in Ellington which isnt too far from Springfield and western Mass also.

It's already winter in these parts. Two tons may last you through the rest of the season so you have plenty of time to look around. Ask the seller if he'll sell you pellets?

Thanks,

Jay

TSC I am probably not touching with their rebranded TSC pellets that may or may not be good (last year were ok).

In reference to the above comment from aviator, I learned something which others may or may not know-- All TSC pellets are NOT created equal. If you have a smart phone, load an app called iGepir. It reads UPC and other symbols. You can scan the UPCs at TSC and it will tell you the underlying facility which bagged them. Folks have found everything from Hamers to Energex to Lignetics or Appalachian. There's disparity on producer quality and results based on stove, but at least with this information it gives you some perspective on the product quality.

Reactions: JimEvansCT
Status
Not open for further replies.