Where to Buy New Fireplace Doors and Wood Mantle?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

UpstateBill

Aug 14, 2013
Upstate New York
Hi all,

The mason we recently hired will begin building a new woodburning fireplace at our home this fall. The fireplace will be constructed of fieldstone, and the chimney will be constructed of brick. With the advice of some of the members here we have opted to not install a heatilator fire box, instead going with simple firebrick. We are more interested in the aesthetics of a woodburning fireplace than using it to heat our home. Anyway, the fireplace will be 8 foot long with a 6 foot long wood mantle.

First, we were wondering if there are any types of fireplace doors that are recommended? We went to a local fireplace store and were told that fireplace doors with a screen will cost around $1,500. We would like to spend half that much if possible and still be able to get something attractive that will last at least 30 years if not more. We are not sure where to look.

Second, we were wondering if pine is a good wood for a fireplace mantle, or are there better types of wood for such a purpose? There is a lot of pine trim in our living room, so we were thinking that we should find something to match. Also, are there any stores that specialize in selling wood fireplace mantles?

Thank you!

My mantle and doors are old-growth PA pine, on two of my fireplaces, which are of similar size to the one you're proposing.

P4040040.JPG

P1130007.JPG

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/old-fireplace.88498/

Mine may be a wee bit taller, than what you're proposing, though:

P7290010.JPG

Reactions: jharkin
If you want to find cheap fireplace doors I would look around on Craigslist and similar. We had one that we sold cheaply when we got the insert. Just make sure the glass is tempered; some of the cheap ones in the big box stores are not to my knowledge.

Just make sure the glass is tempered; some of the cheap ones in the big box stores are not to my knowledge.
Oh... heh... I was thinking something totally different! ;lol

I'll have the NSA check it out, right after they finish with the Philly accounts. ::-)

;em Sorry for the awkward grammar; can you forgive a non-native speaker?

Thanks, guys. I did go to the store in begreen's first link (Hearth and Home). They were the ones who quoted me $1,500 for a set of doors. I was sort of stunned, so I forgot to ask if that includes the screens. Does $1,500 seem rather expensive or is that just what a decent set of doors sells for these days?

I don't know if the glass is tempered or not, but I will stay away from the fireplace doors I saw for sale at Lowes.

I didn't think of Craigslist, but that is a good idea.

;em Sorry for the awkward grammar; can you forgive a non-native speaker?

? I didn't notice the awkward grammer. I was just thinking the op was looking for wooden doors to close when the fireplace was not in use. I had not even considered glass doors, as I had assumed those had gone the way of the dodo.

? I didn't notice the awkward grammer. I was just thinking the op was looking for wooden doors to close when the fireplace was not in use. I had not even considered glass doors, as I had assumed those had gone the way of the dodo.

Thanks, that makes me feel better. :) I had only seen glass fireplace doors in houses so far. Thus, I think your wooden doors rather went the way of the dodo. :p Not that it matters to me, I enjoy a nice view AND the heat from my aptly named Super. ;lol

Yes! You are correct. The wood doors were very popular before 1800, as you could close off the fireplace for the summer, when operations moved to the summer kitchen. I am also told they were sometimes closed during use, to convert the fireplace to a smoker for smoking meats, but do not know for sure if this is true. By 1800, everyone building a house substantial enough to still be standing today was installing modern cookstoves, so these old cooking fireplaces became obsolete.

Reactions: jharkin
If you are using the fireplace just for ambiance - do you even need doors? Maybe just get a simple spark screen?

183532_1828464281024_6224477_n.jpg

Yes! You are correct. The wood doors were very popular before 1800, as you could close off the fireplace for the summer, when operations moved to the summer kitchen. I am also told they were sometimes closed during use, to convert the fireplace to a smoker for smoking meats, but do not know for sure if this is true. By 1800, everyone building a house substantial enough to still be standing today was installing modern cookstoves, so these old cooking fireplaces became obsolete.

In upper New England you see a lot of decorativee fire boards, rather than doors - but the use was the same: close up the fireplace in Summer, or when not in use in colder months to stop drafts. I think they went away in the 1800s also because iron dampers in the flue started to be available.

Reactions: Ashful
Status
Not open for further replies.