Which brand/size stove??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
FWIW, Lowes is having a sale. We just picked up a rebranded Madison for $600. They have the rebranded Englander 30 for a bit over $700.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Summers-Heat-2-400-sq-ft-Wood-Stove/999918850
Is it the same? It looks like the particulate emissions are twice that of the Englander 30-nch and the Summers heat 50-snc30. I don't think they are the same stove but they are made by englander for lowes. I'm sure the quality is there but it seems it isn't as efficient as the 30's listed on http://www.heatredefined.com

I am also looking at this stove but not sure why the emissions is different.

No the 50 SSW01 Madison and the 50 SSW02 (Monroe?) are newer designs. The venerable 30NC has been on the market for years.

No the 50 SSW01 Madison and the 50 SSW02 (Monroe?) are newer designs. The venerable 30NC has been on the market for years.
So they aren't the same. Now I calculated the firebox on the SSW02 to be 2.4 cu.ft. will the burn time be similar to the 30NC 3.5cu.ft. or will it be significantly less? The burn time calculator it is about a 9,000 BTU difference at 8 hours and about 7,000 BTU difference after 10 hours. Both stoves boast the same square footage but the SSW02 is much smaller in terms of firebox size and higher in fuel consumption. Is the reason behind the higher particulate because of the smart damper? Just trying to wrap my head around the numbers.

The SSW02 is larger than the SSW01. I believe it's close to 3 cu ft. Both the SSW02 and 30NC will have a bit longer burn times than the smaller SSW01. However, burn time is relative to many variables. The slightly higher particulate level is probably due to a completely different firebox design. The main advantage of the newer stove design is a larger glass, ember only hearth requirement, closer clearances and the ash collection system.

Reactions: bcrtops
The SSW02 is larger than the SSW01. I believe it's close to 3 cu ft. Both the SSW02 and 30NC will have a bit longer burn times than the smaller SSW01. However, burn time is relative to many variables. The slightly higher particulate level is probably due to a completely different firebox design. The main advantage of the newer stove design is a larger glass, ember only hearth requirement, closer clearances and the ash collection system.
Good & needed improvements.
If I was in the market for an inexpensive stove, I'd go with the SSW01 or SSW02 for these very reasons.

Okay, thanks for the clarification. Should one be concerned with the higher particulate level and using that much more wood. For instance species being ash all other variables the same, would it burn at any noticeable rate faster?

Good & needed improvements.
If I was in the market for an inexpensive stove, I'd go with the SSW01 or SSW02 for these very reasons.
My thoughts exactly I really like the SSW02 for my needs.

SSW01 - 2.4 cuft,
SSW02 - 3.2 cuft
Okay, thank you. I calculated the firebox size for the SSW01 by accident thinking it was the SSW02. Thanks for setting me right.

Okay, thanks for the clarification. Should one be concerned with the higher particulate level and using that much more wood. For instance species being ash all other variables the same, would it burn at any noticeable rate faster?

No, I wouldn't be concerned. I've been told by stove makers that the same stove tested on different days or different times of the year will get different results. The difference is small and shouldn't affect your choice.

Sounds good just ordered the SSW02 from lowes for $699 after taxes. Looking forward to trying this thing out.

Reactions: Woody Stover
Sounds good just ordered the SSW02 from lowes for $699 after taxes. Looking forward to trying this thing out.
Dry wood and a proper flue system will help success.

That's a great deal, my Lowes store just went down from 899 to 719, before taxes.

Last edited:
Last time I spoke with Englander the larger unit didn't have a unofficial name like the smaller Madison. They said they wanted to stick with a presidential name and I suggested the Monroe which they liked and toasted to, but I haven't heard anything official from Englander, have you?

Reactions: ddddddden
Last time I spoke with Englander the larger unit didn't have a unofficial name like the smaller Madison. They said they wanted to stick with a presidential name and I suggested the Monroe which they liked and toasted to, but I haven't heard anything official from Englander, have you?

Yes, spoke with them today about my blower motor, I also asked about the SSW02 and they stated both models were Madisons. A bit confusing if you ask me. Maybe they will rename it some year.

Last edited:
That's a great deal, my Lowes store just went down from 899 to 719, before taxes.
I ended up using a 10% off moving coupon on top of the clearance price so it brought it down to $647 before taxes. I think that is a pretty good price for that stove.

Hey Guys, been a while since i checked in. I have looked into several stoves mentioned here and others on the board and still have not made a decision. I also looked into an Ideal Steel Hybrid from Woodstock. I realize that this stove is in a different price range than i originally mentioned but i'm thinking, in the long run it may be the ticket! I emailed Woodstock and they are getting me a quote on the base model Ideal Steel including shipping. I'm also awaiting answers on a few questions i had on the stove. Not sure yet, but i may fork over the extra cash and see how it works out. We have been in the 20's daytime and single digits-teens overnight the last few days so a long efficient burn may serve me well. If i could add a few hours to the burn time on the same amount of wood over say a $1000 stove then in a few years i would have recouped the extra cash in wood savings. Anyway, i'll check back in once i have decided one way or the other on the Ideal Steel. Thanks again for all the input!

Well, i ended up just ordering a 30-NCH from Homedepot. I just couldn't justify the money on an Ideal Steel (though i'm sure its well worth it). My Stove should be here in 7-10 day and we can use it a few times before summer shows up. I'm excited to see what the big guy can do!!

Yer gonna like that bad boy. Here's yer shirt.

englander t shirt.jpg

Last edited:
Also, (and i'm sure this is covered somewhere)...does the 30NCH come with legs? If so, i have seen several folks mention cutting the
Yer gonna like that bad boy. Here's yer shirt.

View attachment 196775
Yeah, the more i read the more i think it was the right choice! Looking forward to getting that thing in...kinda hoping it may show up by saturday..lol! The Old modded Buck served well this winter but it sure was hungry and i'm looking forward to not running a fan 100% of the time to get heat! Thanks again for all the advice. I'll report back once the Big Guy shows up!

Yeah, it comes with the 9 inch legs. Six inch can be ordered separately.

Well, i'm already impressed with Englander! Came home a bit early today because of rain...found an email saying my 30NC had been delivered to the local Home Depot (now that's super quick shipping...wasn't expecting it til at least Saturday). I went by and picked it up before Church and just now brought it inside for the night! Hoping to get it installed and running by tomorrow evening! Man, i'm looking forward to this thing. Should be able to see what it can do...supposed to have mid-20's for lows Friday and Saturday night.

Well, i installed the 30 NC today. Basically, just made a block off plate for the fireplace flue, pushed the stove in the firebox and direct connected to the flue. The plan is to pass a stainless liner down sometime before fall (i know that would be a better way both for the stove and safety). I'll try to get some photos posted in a bit...its been burning for a couple hours and i'm well pleased! By the time i got everything hooked up (around 5 p.m.) it had gotten down to 60 in the house. In less than 2 hrs, we are back up to 67 with an outside temp of 35 and falling. Supposed to be 25-28 by day break so i'm excited to see how we do on overnight burns and inside temps by the A.M. Also, picked up a stove top thermometer and a wood moisture meter at Lowe's today...kinda curious where my wood is at. Hoping to take a look at that sometime tomorrow. Thanks again guys for pointing me in the right direction!