Which millivolt thermostat for breckwell P23I?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

timalabim

Jul 11, 2008
eastern ma
Hi all,

The Breckwell web site states "any 250 or 500 millivolt thermostat can be used". Honeywell "standard" millivolt thermostat specs 750 millivolts. The Breckwell P23I manual only states that a "millivolt thermostat" is required but does not specifiy the millivolts. Anyone have experience with a 750 millivolt thermostat with this model stove? The Breckwell remote kit seems a bit pricey.

Thanks in advance.

The Honeywell can handle up to 750 mV but will work with much less. I think 750 mV is the industry standard for gas valves.

Chris

This is kind of strange. Breckwell's web site says in large type that it takes a millivolt stat, but I can't figure out why. Millivolt is usually used on self generating pilots on gas appliances and not anything that would plug in to an outlet. Most low voltage thermostats are 24VAC and have a little resistance (anticipator) that may interfere with the stove's control board. If this is the reason, then setting the anticipator toward "longer" or a higher number would take the anticipator out of play. I don't know anyone who makes a programmable millivolt stat, but if a normal 24v stat doesn't work, you could use an isolating relay and a separate 24v source.

Status
Not open for further replies.