Which Stove between Jotul F500 or 600 F, 1900 Sq feet house?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sgtones

Oct 1, 2011
Western MA
Same question as above? Which Stove between Jotul F500 or 600 F, 1900 Sq feet house? Oh yeah, wondering what a reasonable price for these stoves are?

Thanks All!

Lots of variables that can effect this. Layout, insulation, how tight your house is, windows, etc. I'd generally prefer the larger stove if your close to the limits of the smaller one.

+1, if the area to be heated is fairly open with good circulation, then I would opt for the larger model unless other factors negated this option. These would be location issues with clearances especially for the side loading door.

Nothing to add really . . . as mentioned there are some variables with the insulation, house lay out, etc. . . . but like KingQuad I would go with the F-600 just based on the size of the home as 1,900 square feet is a little on the high end for the F-500. With a 1,800 square foot, two story Cape with moderate insulation here in Maine there are times I wish I had gone up one size -- most of the time I am pretty happy though.

firefighterjake said:
Nothing to add really . . . as mentioned there are some variables with the insulation, house lay out, etc. . . . but like KingQuad I would go with the F-600 just based on the size of the home as 1,900 square feet is a little on the high end for the F-500. With a 1,800 square foot, two story Cape with moderate insulation here in Maine there are times I wish I had gone up one size -- most of the time I am pretty happy though.

Totally agree with Jake, you can better control the larger stove for less heat than have an F500 that does not heat the space enough. I have the Oslo too and there are times I wish I had gone bigger. For money, your probably talking over 2k or the F600.

Status
Not open for further replies.