Which ZC wood stove models have been successful prefab replacements?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

acottrell

Nov 12, 2017
North Carolina
Hello all,

First forum post after browsing the site for a while and looking to talk about some options for my prefab.

Currently the fireplace i've been burning in for last 4 years since moving in is a Superior RD-3800a. It's the typical prefab model with the fake masonry insulating slabs inside combined with no doors or blower, just a chain ember catch to drag along the front. I have been looking at converting for years now and finally got the wife on board as I know it will cost $3500 plus to get a wood stove. Today she noticed a large crack running across the bottom insulating panel in the firebox and out of caution are stopping making fires until a solution is found. It doesn't seem worthwhile to spend several hundred dollars on a new insulation panel set so looking further into the wood stove route. The chimney on the house is somewhere around 50 ft tall as well as I have a two story home.

Wanting to see who has had a similar model of fireplace that has replaced it with a stove and which models you were looking at, what you ended up going with, and what the cost was. I am looking at having an installer possibly do it but buying the liner/stove on my own.

Currently I am looking at these locking Selkirk pipes for the liner:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BOB7L6/?tag=hearthamazon-20

I am still undecided on which stove to go with though along with either used or new. I am contacting an installer tomorrow and will hopefully get them to come by and give an estimate. Currently though I am looking at some ZC models from Buck like the 21 or the 74.

Thanks guys.

Last edited:
Hello all,

First forum post after browsing the site for a while and looking to talk about some options for my prefab.

Currently the fireplace i've been burning in for last 4 years since moving in is a Superior RD-3800a. It's the typical prefab model with the fake masonry insulating slabs inside combined with no doors or blower, just a chain ember catch to drag along the front. I have been looking at converting for years now and finally got the wife on board as I know it will cost $3500 plus to get a wood stove. Today she noticed a large crack running across the bottom insulating panel in the firebox and out of caution are stopping making fires until a solution is found. It doesn't seem worthwhile to spend several hundred dollars on a new insulation panel set so looking further into the wood stove route. The chimney on the house is somewhere around 50 ft tall as well as I have a two story home.

Wanting to see who has had a similar model of fireplace that has replaced it with a stove and which models you were looking at, what you ended up going with, and what the cost was. I am looking at having an installer possibly do it but buying the liner/stove on my own.

Currently I am looking at these locking Selkirk pipes for the liner:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BOB7L6/?tag=hearthamazon-20

I am still undecided on which stove to go with though along with either used or new. I am contacting an installer tomorrow and will hopefully get them to come by and give an estimate. Currently though I am looking at some ZC models from Buck like the 21 or the 74.

Thanks guys.

I just replaced our zero-clearance fireplace with a hearth heater (Regency H2100). My make of insert was Majestic, and I heard that there were full inserts as well as hearth heaters that could be installed. After searching and getting a few bids, we went with the Hearth Heater as I wanted as much of the firebox in the room, yet tuck next to the fireplace opening. I could have opted for a full flush insert (Regency 1200) as well as ones with supplemental burning technology. The hearth heater option gave me a bit larger firebox (1.6 cu ft) which was a plus. My zero clearance fireplace height clearance was only 20 inches, which limits options...

How does it work? I now can more than heat the living area and leave both front and back doors open and get 82 degrees in our 1700 sq ft home in the foothills. Need to move more air down the hall to the beds, but we wake up to the living area in the 70 degree range. New to this and I'm having a ball learning out here and applying it. Kind of the old college lecture/lab combo!

In terms of installation, they took off the front panel, took out the flue damper and ran pipe up the existing chimney. Top it all off with a new cap. They placed the unit on my existing hearth and connected the unit with the pipe.I came in at around the same figure you are working with financially, but I sincerely believe it is worth it.

I can now heat our house without paying 29 cents per KWH to a utility with no soul.

Thank you for the response as I have been researching and the stove vs hearth/fireplace idea is coming to mind. Perhaps I just have my terms wrong and they are one and the same. There seem to be many good options for ZC firebox replacements with blowers and dampers compared to not so many good stove replacements. Also found suggestions such as the Flame Monaco, Pacific Energy FP30, and the Kozy Heat Z42.

Brazilbl, if you don't mind posting it, please tell me how much the setup cost you or possibly PM it to me.

Thanks for your input.

Thank you for the response as I have been researching and the stove vs hearth/fireplace idea is coming to mind. Perhaps I just have my terms wrong and they are one and the same. There seem to be many good options for ZC firebox replacements with blowers and dampers compared to not so many good stove replacements. Also found suggestions such as the Flame Monaco, Pacific Energy FP30, and the Kozy Heat Z42.

Brazilbl, if you don't mind posting it, please tell me how much the setup cost you or possibly PM it to me.

Thanks for your input.

Your figure is what I was able to get for hearth heater and install Regency had a offer for a free blower which sealed the deal.

Thanks for the feedback. I will have to shop around and see who carried the brand in my area as nowhere online can I seem to find a price for that model.

Bumping up for more opinions. Got a quote from a semi-local shop for $7500 for a Heat-n-Glo Northstar plus premium which seems incredibly high to me as calling Buck Stoves, they said the going rate for model 74 for a ZC is about $2500.

I just replaced our zero-clearance fireplace with a hearth heater (Regency H2100). My make of insert was Majestic, and I heard that there were full inserts as well as hearth heaters that could be installed. After searching and getting a few bids, we went with the Hearth Heater as I wanted as much of the firebox in the room, yet tuck next to the fireplace opening. I could have opted for a full flush insert (Regency 1200) as well as ones with supplemental burning technology. The hearth heater option gave me a bit larger firebox (1.6 cu ft) which was a plus. My zero clearance fireplace height clearance was only 20 inches, which limits options...

How does it work? I now can more than heat the living area and leave both front and back doors open and get 82 degrees in our 1700 sq ft home in the foothills. Need to move more air down the hall to the beds, but we wake up to the living area in the 70 degree range. New to this and I'm having a ball learning out here and applying it. Kind of the old college lecture/lab combo!

In terms of installation, they took off the front panel, took out the flue damper and ran pipe up the existing chimney. Top it all off with a new cap. They placed the unit on my existing hearth and connected the unit with the pipe.I came in at around the same figure you are working with financially, but I sincerely believe it is worth it.

I can now heat our house without paying 29 cents per KWH to a utility with no soul.
Ok your terminology is all wrong you did not replace your zc fireplace with anything you put a stove infront of it

The Kozy Z-42 is often a good replacement for most pref-fab Fireplaces. To simplify, you need to look at high efficiency pre-fab Fireplaces. Not inserts or stoves. The Z-42 is a solid unit that heats well and is an easy fit most of the time.

Ok your terminology is all wrong you did not replace your zc fireplace with anything you put a stove infront of it

Good Lord - please forgive me to the inaccuracy of my post. I was merely trying to help someone who is in a similar situation.

BTW - do you provide a handy utility that I can pass my intended post through to correct my incorrect terminology before posting? As you were evaluating my post, no doubt that you noticed that I am new to this and I remarked that I enjoy learning and applying the knowledge gained. No doubt - I need to go to the library and get a suitable Wood Stove Dictionary to ensure that this doesn't happen again.

Another idea I have - can I just pass on my "intended" post on a topic to you first and you can "clean it up", technically-speaking and pass it back to me with your blessing and I'll post it - this avoiding this unfortunate situation? Otherwise, I'm left walking over to the library and hoping that they have a suitable Wood Stove Dictionary/Thesaurus to employ in this forum!

Good Lord - please forgive me to the inaccuracy of my post. I was merely trying to help someone who is in a similar situation.

BTW - do you provide a handy utility that I can pass my intended post through to correct my incorrect terminology before posting? As you were evaluating my post, no doubt that you noticed that I am new to this and I remarked that I enjoy learning and applying the knowledge gained. No doubt - I need to go to the library and get a suitable Wood Stove Dictionary to ensure that this doesn't happen again.

Another idea I have - can I just pass on my "intended" post on a topic to you first and you can "clean it up", technically-speaking and pass it back to me with your blessing and I'll post it - this avoiding this unfortunate situation? Otherwise, I'm left walking over to the library and hoping that they have a suitable Wood Stove Dictionary/Thesaurus to employ in this forum!
I am sorry but confusing a zc unit with an insert can be disastrous. I guess my post was a little harsh and i will apologise for that. But giving the wrong info to someone in cases like this could cost them their house or even their lives. I take that very seriously and try to make sure the info is correct.