WHITE FLAME PELLETS SUCK!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AlanDean777

Jan 6, 2011
Western Colorado
These White Flame pellets really suck! I have gone through a bag twice as fast as Spearfish and half of the comfort! Holly Bat Poop Bat Man, these things suck! Stay away from them.

No I do not make any pellets. I am just a consumer. You probably haven't heard of them because you live so far North East. I probably have not heard of the brand you burn or make either. I have been sampling some different brands and came across these two, typical I burn Rocky Mountain since they are so close, but they have been a little dirty this spring.(probably high bark)

Franks said:
Are you the guy that makes Spearfish pellets? Never heard of either brand.

Things ring in the back of my mind, but the bats are getting n the way. Pope and Talbot used to have the Sawmill and lumber industry there. And they produced pellets, the name is floating in the back with the bats. The plant fell on hard times and was sold, apparently to a successful business which has started selling pellets again under the Heartland umbrella, originally, but it may have changed. It is just now reaching into different markets, I think, As I remember one of the local sellers, Sutherlands, thought about bringing them in and but transportation costs were higher than the Smith and Jones their current supplier (good pellets though).

A quick check of Pope shows a reorganization into a catastrophic liquidation. I used to burn that old brand but can't remember the name. Glad to see the area is on the mend and the plant is reaching out with its products.

AlanDean777 said:
These White Flame pellets really suck! I have gone through a bag twice as fast as Spearfish and half of the comfort! Holly Bat Poop Bat Man, these things suck! Stay away from them.

Classic example of how not to make pellets. Visited their "plant" and it was obvious OSHA did not have them on their radar. Fifteen minutes of hand signals and miming and I was able to learn the "boss" was not there and he spoke English. Got a head in the door tour of the plant and was really surprised.

My visit was to find out what was happening to their pellets based on three stove I had worked on that were a mess from fuel, I understood after my visit.

Even given a half ton of pellets I did not burn them, but donated them as soil amendment for a community garden, may not burn, but they retain a lot of water and knock down the heat of the other additions, :-/

Heartland Ultra Premium wood pellets from Spearfish S.D. .Spearfish Pellet Co owned by the Neiman Family Company. no affilation,just close by.Been burning them for a year and a half,only others I've tried were Lignetics?Not much choice around here,did see some Nature's Heat at Wally world,haven't tried them yet.Oh yeah,these are 3.61 a bag or 3.50 on sale at my local Menards.

skydog said:
Heartland Ultra Premium wood pellets from Spearfish S.D. .Spearfish Pellet Co owned by the Neiman Family Company. no affilation,just close by.Been burning them for a year and a half,only others I've tried were Lignetics?Not much choice around here,did see some Nature's Heat at Wally world,haven't tried them yet.Oh yeah,these are 3.61 a bag or 3.50 on sale at my local Menards.

I knew someone would come up with the name. Heartlands... They are now DBA as Spearfish Pellets and are opening their market.

By the way if you use Pella or Anderson Windows, the pellets come from the same fine pine. As I remember they are a very good product.

I've no complaints,but as I said not much to compare to.Maybe little warmer than the Lignetics?Only had 3 bags of those.They burn :cheese:

We had Heartlands here for a few years...Good pellet.

Status
Not open for further replies.