White Pine Milled on 5-11-2012

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
100_5050.JPG100_5051.JPG100_5052.JPG100_5053.JPG100_5054.JPG100_5047-001.JPG This is from some White Pine we think came down in the micro burst of 2008. I limbed it up then cut three sections eight foot long, seemed like everything took longer today but we did get five boards (one inch thick) out of the smallest eight footer.

I plan on doing the same tomorrow,in picture 100-5053 is the eight foot section the White Pine Slab for the coffee table will come from, that will happen on Sunday.

zap

Zap, that white pine sure can make some fine lumber. Did you know MI was once famous for its white pine? There still is a small area of virgin white pine near Grayling and it is a State Park. Great place to visit.

Sounds like a nice spot to see. I'm always amazed at how bad (The downed White Pine) it looks on the outside but it is fine on the inside. Can't wait to mill up the coffee table, not that it will be a great table but knowing the wood came from your lot is what makes it special for us.

zap

Reactions: Thistle
From tree to lumber.
Very nice Zap

Bogydave, thanks. By next year I hope that I start building the cabin or a storage shed with some of this.
NSDave, thanks. It's tough going but after you see the finished product it's well worth it.

zap

This is the single genuine use for White Pine IMHO. Nice boards. Maybe we could see some photos of the mill????

zap, I know it would be just a guess, but do you think a 455 Rancher would be able to mill white pine or spruce? I know it would probably struggle on oak or other HW.
I've got 3-4 spruce that need to come down (big enough to get a few boards from).
I noodled a spruce in half a couple years ago, and it did ok.
Really nice boards. Where are you storing this wood?

Storing the boards not to far from the house. I think smokin could answer that one, I was told the milling with a 390 Stihl would be real tough so we bought the 660. We also needed a saw that could handle a longer bar.

zap, I know it would be just a guess, but do you think a 455 Rancher would be able to mill white pine or spruce? I know it would probably struggle on oak or other HW.
I've got 3-4 spruce that need to come down (big enough to get a few boards from).
I noodled a spruce in half a couple years ago, and it did ok.
Really nice boards. Where are you storing this wood?

You really need 5 cubic inch or up (80CC) to run a mill.

Tell that to smokingJ. He runs an MS192 with a mill.

I used a McCulloch Pro Mac 610 61cc w/ 24" bar from late '92 to spring '94.Slow going but doable if you gave the saw frequent breaks on logs over 16" (not to mention me ;)) Then it was new Poulan 475 77cc with same 24" bar + a 36" until last June.No problems with it,even in 28-30" Oak,but with no decomp valve & 180 PSI it was an arm breaker to start as I got older.Found very clean 23 yr old 288XPW (with decomp thankfully),13,000RPM for a decent price,a few new parts such as high performance air filter system etc & that just laughs at the big logs now.

Still planning to get the 090 Stihl,3120 Husky & one of those huge old Macs just to have eventually....just because.::-)

Reactions: ScotO
The 090 is definitely on my bucket list too......someday!

Just hope I have enough cash saved for those 3 beasts before I'm too old & weak to operate them ;lol

Status
Not open for further replies.