Who to buy electricity other than National Grid??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DRINKSFORALL

Jul 12, 2011
Eastern Ma.
N.Grid here in Mass has raised there rates to .162 $ per kWh effectively doubling from last year at this time!! Has anyone out there tried buying there power from Verde or Gulf electricity?? They have price around .12$ (4 month term) but I don't know if they are trust worthy. My last bill from NG for 1418 kwh was $ 328.00 (Nov 9 - Dec 8)!!!!!

Any input is greatly appreciated. Happy New Year everyone.

When you elect people who a dead set against economical electrical generation through nuclear and coal but rebel against even the sight of a windmill, what do you expect? Electricity doesn't come from the capture of lightning bugs! The use of natural gas generators to make cheap electricity is a fallacy. They are used to generate additional electric during peak demands and, since they are terribly inefficient, your rates during those peak demands therefore go up. To use them as the primary source of electricity and expect lower rates is just plain crazy. You reap what you sow.

Reactions: skibumm100
I pay 16 cents a kWh as well. Can you shop around where you are? I'm in PA and we can pick contracts online since the rate cap expired a few years ago.

I'm also with National Grid and I signed up with these guys for a 15 month term back in October for 10 cents/KWH but looks like their rates are now 11.85 for a 24 month term.

Provider_Electric.jpg

My Lord that is expensive! Here where I'm at in NY I am paying .06/kWh from National Grid!

$0.10 in winter and $0.14 in summer in Georgia and we have no choice as to supplier.

My Lord that is expensive! Here where I'm at in NY I am paying .06/kWh from National Grid!
At that rate, you should be heating with mini-split ductless high efficiency heat pumps, which are the wave of the future. Rated for full heat output down to -5 degrees for the good systems.

Are you sure that's your 'bottom line' cost? Take your final monthly bill, not budget bill and divide it by the number of KwH you used.

I think the problem is a Natural Gas supply crunch in New England. Provider Power warned me about this last Summer so I locked in at "lower" rates.

At that rate, you should be heating with mini-split high efficiency heat pumps, which are the wave of the future. Rated for full heat output down to -5 degrees for the good systems.

Or with free Firewood plus the equipment maintenance cost!

Verde looks like some sort of expensive renewable stuff. Gulf has good rates but I don't like the requirement in the agreement to notify them in writing. I did find ConEdSolutions has a decent rate, and no funny business in the terms, no cancellation fee. I'm going with them.

Paying 22 cents per kwh here on Long Island with PSEG.
Its absolutly gross.

Paying 22 cents per kwh here on Long Island with PSEG.
Its absolutly gross.

Ouch that hurts just reading it!

At that price my kids would be running on a treadmill powering a generator!

Last edited:
Our provider rate from WEMCO just went up from .08 to .145 per kwh. I switched over to a competitive supplier for a 24 month lock in at .12 per kwh.

At that rate, you should be heating with mini-split ductless high efficiency heat pumps, which are the wave of the future. Rated for full heat output down to -5 degrees for the good systems.

Are you sure that's your 'bottom line' cost? Take your final monthly bill, not budget bill and divide it by the number of KwH you used.

Yes, that's the actual cost. I don't use their "budget plan" option as the bill is so low. With electric hot water heater, pellet stove, lights, TV, computers, you name it, I pay about $177 per month for electric in winter and about $150 per month in summer. I converted all lights to either LED or CFL a year ago. Only incandescent bulbs are the 4 my wife insisted on since they put off a "warmer" light. I keep trying to tell her that the 240 watts those bulbs consume is more than all the other bulbs combined! LOL!

Its on the way up everywhere in NE. We are set to see a jump from about $.075 kw to ~$.10kw in March.

Watch out for places that offer a short contract at a guaranteed rate and then variable after that. They can take their sweet ass time allowing you to switch meanwhile your paying up the but. Ask me how I know.

Watch out for places that offer a short contract at a guaranteed rate and then variable after that. They can take their sweet ass time allowing you to switch meanwhile your paying up the but. Ask me how I know.

In MA the electric provider's are required to send out a "Disclosure Label" several months before any contract expires which warns you the contract will expire and pitches the new options and rates.

It's not only the eletricity rates that are climbing. The transmission and demand charges are set to increase too. In my area, transmission and especially demand charges were already extremely high beyond reason and now they are expected to increase by another 5.5%. The monopoly collecting that fee will be quick to claim that their rates are set by FERC, as if we're supposed to believe they have no influence with FERC whatsoever.

Choosing an utility provider is unheard of in my neck of the wood, since we have a monopoly. Actually, it's the first time I hear about this! Will you please explain how it works? They surely do not lay an additionnal, parallel set of cables to your house when you change provider?

Make sure you read the fine print before you sign up with another provider. I know several people who have been burned by extra fees, or by a huge rate jump after the honeymoon period.

Deromax, the same delivery system is used, just the provider of the juice is changed. I guess the electrons know which house to go to…

I'm thinking of training the local squirrels to run in a wheel to turn my generator.

Choosing an utility provider is unheard of in my neck of the wood, since we have a monopoly. Actually, it's the first time I hear about this! Will you please explain how it works? They surely do not lay an additionnal, parallel set of cables to your house when you change provider?

Same here in Iowa. The state is split up with the power companies having there own monopolies. There are only a hand full of areas where you can choose who you are supplied from, although I don't know if it's the same cable or separate. Fortunately, there is state oversight that regulates the power companies and have to approve rate increases. I'm all for free market, but when a utility has a monopoly like they do here, I'm ok with gov (on a local level) oversight of said company.

Worst part is that I live 1/8 of a mile from a different power company, but it would take moving heaven and earth to be able to get my power supplied from them because of how the maps are drawn up. If I could, I would in a heart beat though.

Wish we could have a choice!?!? On Long Island we have one company to get electricity from....

Status
Not open for further replies.