Who wants a Hummer?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

EatenByLimestone

Staff member
0 t0 60 in 3 sec and no one can hear you
I like the looks but 1st gen I'm not so sure

At first glance, I really like it. In fact, it’s first Hummer (vehicle) I do like.

Any speculation or forecast on pricing?

I wonder if we’re less than a decade out from the next Ralph Nader, complaining about the high horsepower and torque of all these new EVs. There’s a real danger here, previously this sort of power was reserved for car enthusiasts, who are hopefully more mindful drivers.

We’re not far from every teenager being put behind the wheel of a vehicle having acceleration equivalent to an 800 hp gasser super car, if current trends continue. I can foresee a governmental safety crack-down coming, five miles away.

Reactions: AlbergSteve
I doubt this kind of vehicle will be common place. Electric car specs are also misleading. The Electric Chevy Spark has 400 lb/ft of torque, but it doesn't set any strip records. 0-60 in three seconds on this truck, but then what? It will probably drop off like most other EVs. AWD and a lot of power consistently yeilds fast launches and already exists. I would not expect this truck, or most high powered electric vehicles, to really be more of a safety issue than any of the current high powered ICE vehicles. Pretty soon 400+ HP gas powered cars will end up on bargain lots.

Since you can gear for torque, I imagine more pedestrian versions will eventually be available that will still move the loads without the headlines... at reduced speed. I think most of the EVs are direct drive? Maybe transmissions are coming to an EV near you.

Reactions: SpaceBus
Since you can gear for torque, I imagine more pedestrian versions will eventually be available that will still move the loads without the headlines... at reduced speed. I think most of the EVs are direct drive? Maybe transmissions are coming to an EV near you.
Yes, most are direct drive or have a planetary gear. Folks who DIY convert ICE cars to EV do so by retaining the transmission. Miatas are popular and there are small AC and DC motors that work well with the five speed manual transmission. Apparently torque converter automatic transmissions drain too much power with their pumps (usually driven by a small eldctric motor since EVs don't idle) and prove to be unpopular for swaps. Pretty much every automotive automatic transmission type I can think of requires lots of hydraulic pressure, so maybe a new type of transmission will emerge. I just don't see EVs of the future wasting energy on idling or maintaining transmission hydraulic pressure.

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
I want one or even one of the other Electric trucks as a work vehicle. I do HVAC service work and as long as I can get through a 18 hour day in the summer and plug in at night it would save me a lot of hassle. Can’t tell you how often I forget to change the oil or, get low on gas, or have trouble pulling equipment b/c the bed is already loaded up. Sadly I am not all that hopeful that the fist gen trucks will meet my requirements.

For reference, it isn’t uncommon for me to fill up my 32+ gal f150 tank daily or every other day during the summer. Lots of starting and stopping of vehicle. Lots of moving the truck from one building to the next in the same complex...

I think they will do well, heck I'd buy one if the price was right.

The big thing that GM has going for it is the already existing network of dealerships across the continent for servicing such a vehicle.

I think electrics will catch on, Canada's largest fuel retailer Petro-Canada has started putting in electric charging stations at its service stations. You can now go coast to coast across Canada just recharging at Petro-Canada locations. If the big fuel giants are putting in service for EV's it's because even they see change is coming.

Gas vehicles won't be leaving my driveway anytime soon either.

I find them interesting, and from the viewpoint of a fleet, maintenance is appealing. Its the range and charging that are the issue. Mostly the charging, because if they could refuel quickly and easily range would be les of an issue. I'm not going to have an employee plug it into their house at night, and it takes too long to charge them at a grocery store.

Sooo not the hummer I was thinking. No thanks

Gas vehicles won't be leaving my driveway anytime soon either.

I find them interesting, and from the viewpoint of a fleet, maintenance is appealing. Its the range and charging that are the issue. Mostly the charging, because if they could refuel quickly and easily range would be les of an issue. I'm not going to have an employee plug it into their house at night, and it takes too long to charge them at a grocery store.
Maybe the range is a legit issue for your fleet, which is surprising to hear, but I guess it’s possible. But plugging in overnight? Why is that an issue? Either do it at your depot, or credit your employees per kWh for plugging in at home, the same as my company credits me for miles I put on my personal vehicle. Not exactly an insurmountable obstacle.

I wish I could fast forward 20 years, and watch someone from our generation explain to the next, how we thought it was more convenient to drive ten or fifteen minutes to a filling station, and stand in the cold by a gas pump for ten minutes every 200 miles, versus just plugging in our car at home each night. ;lol

It would be a greater obstacle for those who live in a city and park on the road. Sometimes you don't even park in front of your house.

Reactions: Ashful and SpaceBus
I like it. Not like GM to let Tesla get all the good press and generate all the excitement around trucks. (Their biggest market) without a response.
Evs are one of the few vehicles that lets you recover some of the wasted energy of stopping and starting with in town driving through braking regeneration. Not sure how much that saves as iv seen numbers from 5% to 80%. May be just the thing for the poor City MPG numbers of trucks.

Last edited:
It would be a greater obstacle for those who live in a city and park on the road. Sometimes you don't even park in front of your house.
Today, yes. But I fully anticipate cities and towns to take advantage of this cash cow. As soon as we reach critical mass of EVs, you’d better believe they’ll be installing receptacles with credit card readers on every lamp post and other existing electrical supply with sufficient capacity. Look at the way some cities aggressively chase the apparent pennies an individual parking meter brings, there’s an economy of scale at work, there.

Nikola announced their offering, to be shown in fall 2020 - The Badger. It touts 600 mile range via 300 mile battery range and 300 mile on a 120 kW hydrogen fuel cell. Having this whopper generator on board also has some nice jobsite benefits like a 15kW inverter.

Nikola announced their offering, to be shown in fall 2020 - The Badger. It touts 600 mile range via 300 mile battery range and 300 mile on a 120 kW hydrogen fuel cell. Having this whopper generator on board also has some nice jobsite benefits like a 15kW inverter.

I've been reading that hydrogen is the future.

Eventually, I think it will play a much larger role in our lives, but I suspect not without a lot of resistance from the fossil fuel industry.

Reactions: SpaceBus
Eventually, I think it will play a much larger role in our lives, but I suspect not without a lot of resistance from the fossil fuel industry.
The DOE just invested some $60 mil for researching hydrogen production from PV supplied electricity. It's an exciting time to be alive. I'm hopeful for hydrogen based liquid fuels to keep the majority of the current infrastructure in place.

Part of Nikola's plan is to get a network of hydrogen stations implemented. IMO subsidies and tax breaks should be removed from the mature fossil fuel industry and applied to hydrogen.

It would be kind of nice to see all subsidies removed from. All energy sources so its a true level playing field.

It would be kind of nice to see all subsidies removed from. All energy sources so its a true level playing field.
It would lead to the cheapest which would be fossil fuels which is how we got to this position anyway.

Reactions: Ashful