WHOA...subtile weather change

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodconvert

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
May 24, 2007
Fenton Michigan
Last night at 10:15pm it was 50F and raining. This morning at 6:00am it was 12F and WINDY (50+ mph gusts). All youz people east of Michigan...hang on for the ride.

baton down the tarps! gather the twigs...fill the indoor wood box mate!

already heard about it this morning.
LI NY.. 48 when i got up this morning and rain.
they are saying its come'n.... 10-20 tonight... (que death star music.. dun nun..)

Local news just showed a chart that went from a high of 45* yesterday toa low of -4* very early this morning. That's a 49* swing in under 24 hours!

All I know is that I was loading the wood box in the basemet and filling the trailer in the garage yesterday afternoon in the rain and now it's finally back up to 0* and heading for a high of 9*.

Just switched over from rain to snow, which means the 40 degrees my truck told me about this morning is now probably in the upper 20's and dropping.

I normally get relatively high winds at my house (up a long hill from an open lake, facing west and I'm within a couple hundred feet of the highest elevation town center in MA...I'm at about 1900') and 30 mph winds are someting I;'m used to, so this should be interesting. Not sure if I've had amny 60mph+ winds at my house. I really ought to invest in a little weather station and start mapping the winds at my house...I'm probably sitting on an energy gold mine.

Is it always this schizophrenic??
This is my first season north of Miami and I'm beginning to wonder if I did the right thing!

Now that the whiteout is over we have sunny skies, moderate winds and decent temperatures outside...it was about 33 a 3:00 and all the fresh snow and ice is melting rather quickly in the sun.

THis means I'm going to get a whole tree right through the front wall tonight and it'll be like 3 degrees. Naturally this tree will also break my chimney so I won't be able to burn.

In 48hrs it went from 45 down to a low of -10.
Not to mention the wicked wind (around 42mph) and the wind chill of -29.
Thats why I cleaned my chimney Monday when it was 45

Currently -13, warmed up about 10 degrees since 7:00 AM.
Wind calmed down so we are no longer experiencing the -50 wind chill.
Actually feeling warm outside.

Might go to the beach and get myself a tan. :gulp:

....now that the winds have died down and the temp is up to a balmy 11F....we learn that we have our biggest snow storm of the season coming. GREAT...perfect....I'm starting to get tired of winter...and it's only Feb. :-S

woodconvert said:
....now that the winds have died down and the temp is up to a balmy 11F....we learn that we have our biggest snow storm of the season coming. GREAT...perfect....I'm starting to get tired of winter...and it's only Feb. :-S

IT'S FEBRUARY WHERE YOU ARE?!?! LOLOL

chrisman34 said:
woodconvert said:

IT'S FEBRUARY WHERE YOU ARE?!?! LOLOL

Yeah, i'm just to the left of the International Date Line that runs up through Ohio :blank:

I meant we are supposed to get dumped on Friday and Saturday...which will then be February. Details details :p

You better check the weather... I think your crap will be tonight....we are getting dumped on tomarrow from what our guys are saying and you are usualy a good 12 to 15 hours or so ahead of us in terms of weather....unless maybe its comeing from the south. Didn't pay that close attention.

It's supposed to start tonight but the heaviest snow will be tomorrow (Friday) morning to mid afternoon then again on Saturday. That said, we have had 3 or 4 winter storm warnings this year and it didn't even snow.....we'll see.

I did see 46F next week!!!....now, if it can only do that until April.....

Is it just me or do Michigan winters suck? If its not raining its snowing and a 2 day thaw is always right behind a snow storm. The older I get the better the sun looks.

notbobvilla said:
Is it just me or do Michigan winters suck? If its not raining its snowing and a 2 day thaw is always right behind a snow storm. The older I get the better the sun looks.

Well, depends where you are at...but even if you are on the Ohio border the winters can be a pain in the arse. Keep it in perspective though...you could wake up in North Dakota or some parts of Canada where you have a good chunk of the winter at -23F for a high. I can take the snow and rain....that sub zero stuff takes a toll on me.

Oh, and not a lot of snow on the ground but the weather guy just said the intensity is supposed to pick up. Sounds like you folks in up state NY are supposed to get it next then all points North East. Enjoy :lol:

Sorry to say we're sending more systems your way.

We have had 47 inches of snow, and winter is only half over. That's what we have in a normal winter, so I guess the rest is gravy.

Cearbhaill said:
Is it always this schizophrenic??
This is my first season north of Miami and I'm beginning to wonder if I did the right thing!
When the first super computer weather model prediction programs agreed on changing climate they foretold of a decade of severe temperature changes for the Mid USA. Seems we are seeing the those future forecasts come true.

http://www.ncar.ucar.edu/index.php/ncar/articles/newest_ccsm3_animation_shows_four_ipcc_scenarios/

http://www.ncar.ucar.edu/ http://www.ucar.edu/

http://www.threebestbeaches.com/uploaded_images/lifesouth-778364.jpg
Miami would be nice today, Did you do the right thing? NO!! Not if you want a warm 80F winter day.

NWS Miami - South Florida
Point Forecast: Miami FL
25.78N -80.21W

This Afternoon: Mostly sunny, with a high near 80. South wind around 10 mph.

Tonight: A 10 percent chance of showers before 10pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 67. South wind between 6 and 9 mph becoming calm.

Saturday: Partly sunny, with a high near 80. Northeast wind between 6 and 14 mph.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClic...te=MFL&textField1=25.77&textField2;=-80.2&e=1
http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClic...5.77&textField2;=-80.2&e=1&FcstType=graphical

Early last week 5ºF.
Predicted high this coming Tuesday 70ºF.

I hope this warm spell isn't long enough to get the plants growing- I think they had a black spring in '07 (just moved here) and I do not want it to happen to all my new landscape installations!
On a brighter note I am having a small surgery Monday am and at least won't have to worry about keeping the fire going for a couple of days! Sweet!

Status
Not open for further replies.