Whoops!!! That was Close

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

camdids

Hearth Supporter
Just thought I'd take this moment to remind everyone who like me , uses a Shop vac to clean there stove out. Been doing it for Two Seasons now, but the other day I must have got a little careless. luckily My mother was sat comfy on the Sofa and noticed sparks coming from the Blower. (Me being so engrossed in my cleaning). Grabbed the Vac and hurled into the garden.,smoking like a Chimney. Got the Burning Filters out in the Snow. Lucky there was plenty around.Saved the Vac.
I may have to reconsider one of those able to take a warmer Ash. Cleaned it out yesterday, with New Filters, but couldnt relax. I did so used to enjoy cleaning the stove out.

My message to all who use the Shop Vacs. Dont get careless like I did. Be Careful. I never thought it would happen to me.

Remember, "Fire is hot!".

Eric

Thats why I got an old shop vac with a steel tub ,I don't think you can get them any more . So far I have only burned one dust bag . They smoke pretty good .
I use a small shovel to empty the burn pot and then leave it with the door open for a few minutes ,haven't had a problem since . You will be more careful now .

I've been setting my shop vac outside for a couple hours after I clean just to be sure.

Leadfoot said:
I've been setting my shop vac outside for a couple hours after I clean just to be sure.

That's a good idea . They start smoking right away though so you know when you got a hot one .

Leadfoot said:

This is what I do. Better safe than sorry.

Unless my stove has been sitting for a good 2 hours. I always toss the vac outside. Except I leave it out overnite. Just one extra precaution I have. I just don't trust it.

This is why I shut down the stove 24 hours before cleaning.
Use oil for that one day a month. No biggy and yes better to be safe than sorry.

Glad to hear you caught the vac before it did some serious damage to your home.

Only really caught it because my Mother was sitting watching me. I'm not sure I would have done till lots of smoke and what else.
Anyway, reading the responses has made me think more seriously about the Cheetahs or such. You all seem to be pretty over cautious when using the Shop Vacs.
I thought I was being pretty safe??

Yeah I'd rather be overly cautious than have an oops in my house.
Works for me. Glad you got the wake up call
Whoops!!!  That was Close
before anything bad happened.
Props to Mom!
Whoops!!!  That was Close

glad to hear i am not the only one to do it

I've got an ashless vac that will take warm ashes without a problem.

I can even clean my stove out with the fire burning. Kidding!

This problem seems funny but could happen to anyone if you're not careful. My wife would just LOVE for that to happen... Bye bye stove!

Big hole in the middle of the living room carpet. Not good! Grunt grunt!

With my Mini I wait for my stove finish it's cool down cycle before I do any vacuuming with my shop vac. I don't have big ash piles that would insulate hot ember's, except my ash pan , that gets pulled out first and emptied out side. I can afford to wait cuse I have a furnace for times I am not using the stove. It's about common sense, but you also take a bigger risk. Ash cans vac are not a bad idea for those who do not have a second heating source.

I must admit that I burnt one filter in my shop vac doing the very same thing... one spark is all it takes.. Likewise, I always put it outside overnight just in case...

Just so you know I didnt start cleaning untill about 2 hours AFTER the stove had finished its shut down. Its cleaned weekly so not a lot of build up. There must have still been a live one in there somewhere.
Enjoyed all the replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.