Why do I have to keep replacing my fireplace grill yearly?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ThatNewGuy

Dec 3, 2022
USA
New here, first time owning a fireplace, just bought the house about 3.5 years ago. So far I've had to replace my grill (or whatever it's called (can you tell I'm new?) every single year because it warps then breaks.

At first I thought maybe the 2/3/4 hour firelogs were getting too hot for the one spot so I stopped using them, and now it broke on me again.

I mostly burn just regular firewood that I've split myself, but would sometimes use a firelog for extra/sustained heat.
I don't beat on the metal or anything.

Is iron not the right material for the grill?
Am I not meant to have a fire going nonstop all day?
What am I doing wrong?

20221203_094226.jpg

Looks like a pretty lightweight grate. Have you tried burning without one in the fireplace?
This one has a lifetime guarantee.

It does look pretty thin. Cant skimp on some stuff, you get what you pay for.

Reactions: Rob_Red
It does look pretty thin. Cant skimp on some stuff, you get what you pay for.
"You get what you pay for" is really only an answer for people that chose to be cheap. I bought the most expensive one in my area because I didn't want to skimp and was trying to avoid exactly that.

Looks like a pretty lightweight grate. Have you tried burning without one in the fireplace?
This one has a lifetime guarantee.

To be honest, I didn't even know it was okay to burn right on the bottom. To be safe, is there anything I should look at or consider before burning without one? Wasn't expecting to have to spend that much on one but it may be the best option.

As I said this is my first fireplace so even with all I've read so far, I still feel rather naive in this area.

"You get what you pay for" is really only an answer for people that chose to be cheap. I bought the most expensive one in my area because I didn't want to skimp and was trying to avoid exactly that.

To be honest, I didn't even know it was okay to burn right on the bottom. To be safe, is there anything I should look at or consider before burning without one? Wasn't expecting to have to spend that much on one but it may be the best option.

As I said this is my first fireplace so even with all I've read so far, I still feel rather naive in this area.
$129 is actually on the cheap side for a good grate.

To the OP....I wasnt saying you are cheap at all...just its usually true. Ive bought expensive stuff that broke too. Hope you love burning wood cause itll save you a lot of money, but its kind of a lot of "work" even tho we actually LOVE doing it all. Oh yeah, and Welcome to the site!

I found a heavy duty grate in someone's trash, don't have use for it inside, so it's been in the fire pit for a decade. Other than a little rust, it's unaffected by the fires.

That old truism, "that you get what you pay for", is complete nonsense. Probably made up by some marketing person appealing to snobs. Like "a diamond is forever", and an "education is never a waste". An effective tool for separating people from their money.

Reactions: Newbie78

A grate is not a necessity, but there are some benefits. It raises the wood off of the fireplace floor which allows more air to get under the wood for easier starting. It also holds the wood in a contained area.

Reactions: ThatNewGuy
Is it really necessary to have a grate in the first place? I dont burn a fp but I would just crisscross my wood directly on the brick for minor elevation, once the thing is ripping, chuck in pieces as needed, maybe use the poker to stir things up.

Reactions: BillBurns
Id like to see a diamond get destroyed, im just saying. If youre happy with your purchase, more power to ya.

Is it really necessary to have a grate in the first place? I dont burn a fp but I would just crisscross my wood directly on the brick for minor elevation, once the thing is ripping, chuck in pieces as needed, maybe use the poker to stir things up.
If the fireplace build is old or the hearth floor is suspect, then elevating the fire off of the hearth can reduce the heat on it a bit, but normally it is not required.

If I wanted a grate I would build one or have a welding shop build one for me.