Why is the Show us yours wood shed thread closed???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

max384

Nov 28, 2015
Eagle Rock, PA
I was going to post my wood shed that I just built, but the last post is from 2014 and it's locked, yet still a sticky. What's going on?

In case anyone is wondering, here is what I was going to post there:

I built a 12'x8' wood shed today. When packed completely full, it will hold over five cords of wood.

As per usual, I underestimated how much wood I would need. I still need to finish the side slats, and I'm reinforcing the front with some 2x8s, as it is sagging a bit. Usually it's not a big deal, but in the pandemic world we live in, it means waiting a couple days for curbside pickup to be available. Ugh.

MVIMG_20200503_195904-X3.jpg
I'll update once I get it finished and once I get it filled.

There was a stretch of time that old dead threads were being resurrected. The management made the decision to create an expiration date and the board agreed. That thread fell into the algorithm and was closed.

Reactions: DAKSY
Thanks for the explanation. Seems like a phenomenally bad idea in general, no offense.
I agree. I went to that same post looking for ideas for a wood shed that would work for my setup.
This is what I'm going with, I have four done for now. Livestock panels that are 16' long by 50" wide with two pallets end to end inside. The pallets are all plastic and two of them are 105" total in length. I have scrap OSB that's 2.5" thick that is on both ends of the panels sandwiching the panel with 1/2" rebar 2' long pounded in the ground to hold it in place. There's three rows of 16" splits going in each one. Anyone have any ideas how much wood they could hold? The old setup of a single row 21' X 4' really didn't make a dent in filling it up. The cover is coated Cordura that I had from another project. My wife sews for a living so she put a rod pocket on each end and I ran 1/2" conduit thru the pocket. Cut a half circle out of the rod pocket in two places and secured the conduit with tie wraps to the livestock panel. Rain beads up on the Cordura. Two of them are visible when you come up the driveway so I wanted something that looked decent. Added some pics to help explain it. Splitter and the Gator doing a little work too.

Attachments

• CA4C1C1A-F182-4F7E-8310-C911193147DA.jpeg
    CA4C1C1A-F182-4F7E-8310-C911193147DA.jpeg
    266 KB · Views: 198
  • 809520DA-3EFF-4B3C-AD07-F75BE7D4E020.jpeg
    809520DA-3EFF-4B3C-AD07-F75BE7D4E020.jpeg
    238.4 KB · Views: 209
  • 7AAF0B07-A9C6-4DA6-8A58-B22D224E8896.jpeg
    7AAF0B07-A9C6-4DA6-8A58-B22D224E8896.jpeg
    275.2 KB · Views: 197
  • 0F9BFD3F-2E4F-4B68-BD42-57FDFB451E97.jpeg
    0F9BFD3F-2E4F-4B68-BD42-57FDFB451E97.jpeg
    240.8 KB · Views: 203
  • 778598A8-F557-4354-9D66-8C7A08385BA0.jpeg
    778598A8-F557-4354-9D66-8C7A08385BA0.jpeg
    244.2 KB · Views: 206
  • DBA6DED5-5FD5-4E73-94A0-3AA2A6A58115.jpeg
    DBA6DED5-5FD5-4E73-94A0-3AA2A6A58115.jpeg
    274.5 KB · Views: 195
No offense taken, but behind the scene when you have bad actors and bots dredging up posts from yesteryear to try and slip through our defense shields, we try to make decisions in the best interest of the site.

Reactions: SpaceBus
I agree. I went to that same post looking for ideas for a wood shed that would work for my setup.
This is what I'm going with, I have four done for now. Livestock panels that are 16' long by 50" wide with two pallets end to end inside. The pallets are all plastic and two of them are 105" total in length. I have scrap OSB that's 2.5" thick that is on both ends of the panels sandwiching the panel with 1/2" rebar 2' long pounded in the ground to hold it in place. There's three rows of 16" splits going in each one. Anyone have any ideas how much wood they could hold? The old setup of a single row 21' X 4' really didn't make a dent in filling it up. The cover is coated Cordura that I had from another project. My wife sews for a living so she put a rod pocket on each end and I ran 1/2" conduit thru the pocket. Cut a half circle out of the rod pocket in two places and secured the conduit with tie wraps to the livestock panel. Rain beads up on the Cordura. Two of them are visible when you come up the driveway so I wanted something that looked decent. Added some pics to help explain it. Splitter and the Gator doing a little work too.
If my math is correct, it comes out to just shy of 2 cord for each one. Creative use of livestock panels.

Wow, clever sheds and nice rig!

Wow, clever sheds and nice rig!
Thanks SpaceBus.
The log splitter was built by my grandfather about 45 years ago. Easy to use and ergonomically easy on the body. Tables on both sides of the main beam. The split wood has a place to go and both tables can support whatever size rounds we put on it. The cylinder is off a Cat grader, it's the side shift Cylinder. The cylinder has been rebuilt once. The original Tecumseh engine finally died and now it has a Honda on it. The old engine was so old it didn't have a recoil start, just a knotted rope you wrapped around the pulley. The fenders were hand formed. Pretty impressive for a sixth grade education. There are 4 of us in the family who use it and maintain it.
The Gator is a Pro Gator, used on golf courses. It's 4 wheel drive, 3 cylinder Yanmar engine (can get diesel too) 5 speed, power steering, locking rear end, hydraulic dump bed, heated cab, and can haul 2000 pounds. I bought it used. It's pretty heavy duty. Works good as a wood hauler. The turning radius is super tight. I use it to carry my sprayer for weeds and to do fertilizer too..

Attachments

• 103AF08A-660D-4571-AF4E-888690ACE690.jpeg
    103AF08A-660D-4571-AF4E-888690ACE690.jpeg
    240 KB · Views: 166
Reactions: SpaceBus