Why my winter burn goes under a roof right outside the door

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
basswidow said:
Solar and wind - wow, does Lake Oneida / brewerton get that kind of snow too?

I am in the hills on the south side of the city. Oneida and Brewerton are on the north and usually get it a lot worse. The eastern end of Oneida can really get clobbered if the wind is right as it is 20 miles long. North of Oneida is the start of the Tug Hill Plateau and that is where it can really pile up. The drive up 81 from just north of Oneida to Watertown can be super dicey.

ikessky said:
Skier76 said:
Wow! I'm kinda jelous! :lol:
+1! December 8th and we only have a dusting on the ground here!

Same story here, extremely jealous, I LOVE snow, and its December 10th and we haven't even gotten a dusting yet! i saw a few flurries, but nothing to even coat the ground. And to top it off, its been BITTER cold for the past week, and now a storm is on its way, and its going to warm up for it to be all rain. and then next week the bitter cold will return again. GRRRR!

I love Lake Oneida (I tournament fished there).

I've only been there in the summer - so seeing these pics are amazing.

I'd love to retire on a lake like that - but I'm thinking more of snow birding too (maybe FL).

SolarAndWood

With all that snow you should be well insulated for the cold winds!

Is the weight of all that snow on your roof any concern? I don't know much about real snow - we only see 10-20" a year here.

CJRages said:
Is the weight of all that snow on your roof any concern? I don't know much about real snow - we only see 10-20" a year here.

Definitely an issue here, one of the local Walmart roofs collapsed a couple years ago. The house originally had a flat roof. The roof failed so they went over the top with I-Beams every 2 ft. But, the freeze thaw cycles seem to always win here and there was quite a bit of water damage when we bought the house. The new roof is 12/12 with big overhangs and I don't worry about structural or water issues any more.

just getting a dusting here. im ready for some nice snow fall this year as i plan on some fn winther hiking and camping.

It's snowing like crazy here and has been since about 2AM. The forecast says we will be getting this snow until probably 6am on Sunday. They predicted anywhere from 8-16".

Looks like we got a pass on the storm you guys in the midwest got. Nothing but rain here as it ended up being almost 20 degrees warmer than they thought it was going to be a few days ago.

ikessky said:
It's snowing like crazy here and has been since about 2AM. The forecast says we will be getting this snow until probably 6am on Sunday. They predicted anywhere from 8-16".

Still snowing here with lots of wind from the north. I'll spend most of the day plowing and digging out. A week's
worth of wood in the garage will help. The rest of my wood is a couple hundred feet up the hill in the pole shed.

Finally started snowing here last night. Woke to about 4". Baby stuff compared to some of you guys. Still coming down, though. Used the roof rake before I even had my coffee.
Blasphemy.
I forgot to put the chains on when I did the plow. DOH!
Guess I know what I'll be doing in a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.