Why my winter burn goes under a roof right outside the door

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SolarAndWood

Minister of Fire
Feb 3, 2008
Syracuse NY
Hope the rest of you guys in the bands off Erie and Ontario are getting your share.

Attachments

• 120810 shed.jpg
    120810 shed.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 939
SolarAndWood said:
Hope the rest of you guys in the bands off Erie and Ontario are getting your share.

We have two feet Solar how much did you get?

zap

Man you guys are gettin it!

My wood is inside my Garage and the car is outside for the same reason!

Skier76 said:
Wow! I'm kinda jelous! :lol:
+1! December 8th and we only have a dusting on the ground here!

Just a skiff of snow here. A whopping 1-3" predicted. Looks like the snow blade will wait a bit more and that is fine with me.

We only got a dusting int NE PA. They got 1-2 feet in NW PA. Better there than here. Although it won't be long I am sure.

Backwoods Savage said:
Looks like the snow blade will wait a bit more and that is fine with me.
Agreed, but the snow shoes and .22LR are itching to get out!

Solar I just read Syracuse.com after talking with my sister who lives in Syracuse and you have received a total of 30.9 inches for the month of December and it's still falling. :coolgrin:

zap

We've gotten 16" and we are a long way from 'the lake'. I'd think they'd start freezing over soon, which should curtail this lake effect stuff.

I'll take snow over bitter cold though

Boy I miss the days in Syracuse - walking against the wind to school in the AM, snow blowing in your face....every day...

I filled the garage with about 3 cords a month ago just so I don't have to deal with that. I am not as bad off as the NE with only 8" on the ground with 2-3" more coming tommorow.

Backwoods Savage said:
Just a skiff of snow here. A whopping 1-3" predicted. Looks like the snow blade will wait a bit more and that is fine with me.

Dennis, you still on schedule to get that new machine tomorrow, or did you already pick it up?
Looks like it'll come in handy right outta the gate.

If I had to dig tunnels to the wood pile a lot more of it would be a lot closer.

We usually get rain here.
Worst is when we get a foot of snow, then a half inch of rain then the cold part of the storm races in and freezes the slushy heavy slop.
Once it freezes you can't plow it nor snowblow it.

SolarAndWood said:

Solar weather.com is forecasting another 10-15 inches for Syracuse in the next 48 hours. The salt city is getting pounded.

zap

zapny said:
We have two feet Solar how much did you get?

We are at 3. I think the wind must have clocked around more from the west as we only got another 3 or 4 inches since I left for work this morning.

ISeeDeadBTUs said:
I'd think they'd start freezing over soon

This is all compliments of Lake Ontario, which doesn't freeze.

billb3 said:
If I had to dig tunnels to the wood pile a lot more of it would be a lot closer.

I learned that lesson year 1. Digging a tunnel to a snow/ice/snow/ice/repeat covered pile of bought "seasoned" wood that was frozen into a solid block was a pretty miserable experience. I think I have it just about figured out now.

PapaDave said:
Backwoods Savage said:

Dennis, you still on schedule to get that new machine tomorrow, or did you already pick it up?
Looks like it'll come in handy right outta the gate.

They called this afternoon to say it is ready. So yes, we'll pick it up tomorrow. Sold the old one and just an hour or so ago it went down the road.

SolarAndWood said:
ISeeDeadBTUs said:
I'd think they'd start freezing over soon

This is all compliments of Lake Ontario, which doesn't freeze.

We've been getting a 3 lake fetch since Sunday. I've been watchin' the radar and we're right under a finger that stretches almost to Jersey. This stuff is the heaviest snow I've seen in years. Piled up with the loader , it looks blue in places when the sun comes out briefLEE.
The lakes may freeze early this year if we don't get a warm up. All this snow dumpin in the lake is coolin it down fast.

SolarAndWood said:

SolarAndWood some nasty cold coming in for Monday & Tuesday, windchills 23-26 below zero. Looks like the first reel test for the Lopi heating the house from the basement.

High btu wood coming in starting Thursday until we have one full rack.

zap

Yeah Zap, the wind is brutal. I wonder how much more heat gets sucked off a window when its blowing than still. I'm considering doing indoor storms when I start trimming out the house.

Stopped snowing long enough to clean up before the next one. I wish I had gotten the siding on the back side of the house done sooner so that I could have gotten next year's burn under a roof too. Hopefully the wind and sun will do its thing so that I can get it done sometime soon.

Its interesting how much a photo full of snow compresses. 1300x975 in 100KB should save Craig some drive space and bandwidth.

Attachments

• 121010 dug out and ready.jpg
    121010 dug out and ready.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 257
  • 121010 covered heap.jpg
    121010 covered heap.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 247
We had our first "storm" of the season yesterday. Only got a couple inches of snow out of it though. Then it misted a little and made things icy. They are forcasting 8-12 inches this weekend though.

Solar and wind - wow, does Lake Oneida / brewerton get that kind of snow too?

Yeah - that pile of wood in the second picture is gonna be buried for awhile. You get low, you may have to dig for those.

Status
Not open for further replies.