wife says inserts and stoves look like crematoriums

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rocklobster

Hearth Supporter
Aug 15, 2010
Western CT
I have been looking at inserts to put into my masonry fireplace. My wife is on board with the idea of a wood insert but I can't find anything that she likes the look of. I brought her to a store this weekend to look at Jotul inserts. I figured that she would like the style of them as compared to a quadrafire. I think they look nice and figured she would too. You guessed it, she hated them. She said they look like they belong in a funeral home. Then she points to the Mosro 5560 insert and said she thought that looked better. She says she wants simple lines as opposed to fancy (VC, Jotul etc)

Obviously we have some talking to do to figure out what to get. Does anyone know of any other insert manufacturers which have simple lines (design)? I need to figure something out or I'll be burning our wood in a Chiminea in the back yard this winter!

Thanks,
Joe

Personally, I find the look of my oil bill more offensive.

Shameless plug: BK Princess Insert

Ok, that's out of the way, if she likes simple that really opens up a lot of options. Some plain vanilla Napoleon inserts are pretty simple, englander 13NCI is, BK Princess and Briarwood. I guess simple is sort of subjective.

Sounds like shes a fan of the contemporary look rather than the victorian styles that are popular. Look the the BK Princess, I was surprised my wife liked at, I didnt think she would so I bought it without telling her because it was a deal I had to act on fast, (that parts true).

rocklobster said:
I have been looking at inserts to put into my masonry fireplace. My wife is on board with the idea of a wood insert but I can't find anything that she likes the look of. I brought her to a store this weekend to look at Jotul inserts. I figured that she would like the style of them as compared to a quadrafire. I think they look nice and figured she would too. You guessed it, she hated them. She said they look like they belong in a funeral home. Then she points to the Mosro 5560 insert and said she thought that looked better. She says she wants simple lines as opposed to fancy (VC, Jotul etc)

Obviously we have some talking to do to figure out what to get. Does anyone know of any other insert manufacturers which have simple lines (design)? I need to figure something out or I'll be burning our wood in a Chiminea in the back yard this winter!

Thanks,
Joe

For a clean simple front, take a look at the Clydesdale by Hearthstone. And keep your wife away from funeral parlors. That is a strange analogy. Take a look at a crematory sometime. I've never seen one with gothic arches.

If my wife was comparing my stove to a crematorium Id be sleeping with one eye open.

weatherguy said:
If my wife was comparing my stove to a crematorium Id be sleeping with one eye open.

lol :lol:

weatherguy said:

My first thought when I read the OP.

What is it with these wimmen folk????

Geez !!!!

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:
What is it with these wimmen folk????

Geez !!!!

Danged females. Don't know nothin about burning wood. :coolsmirk:

She doesnt want to have to deal with a wood stove. She doesnt want to have to learn how to properly burn it and load it. She would rather just turm up the thermostat.

Get what you need to get the job done and keep heatin costs down. She will come around.

weatherguy said:
Sounds like shes a fan of the contemporary look rather than the victorian styles that are popular. Look the the BK Princess, I was surprised my wife liked at, I didnt think she would so I bought it without telling her because it was a deal I had to act on fast, (that parts true).

Very straight lines on that insert...

My Two friends (Husband & Wife) 2 streets over bought the BK Princess insert in Oct 2009 and even with mediocre wood it heats their 3,000 sqft house to around 70 °F for 8hrs. With good wood they get a solid 14hr usable burn.

The Regency Inserts are also more contemporary looking bent
steel products that are less expensive than the Cast Iron variety.
Pretty decent heaters too, if you're able to size them correctly....
Just my $.02

I've got Lopi Declaration earlier this year and my wife is quite happy about it. There are couple of brand from the same company (Fireplace Xtrodinare 33 or Avalon Perfect Fit Flush) of the same model but with different face plate. Give it a try.

Cheers.....Som

Sounds like she just doesn't want one and is putting them all down. Doesn't like a Jotul insert???? They are some of the more beautiful ones. I'd tell her you are offended by the oil bill and that you ARE going to get one. Send for all the brochures and tell her she has to pick ONE! Come on man...put them pants on!!! :cheese:

Ditto on the Regency Insert. It was an easy sell based on looks and warmwife now knows how to run it. Halfway through last heating season she was starting her own fires if I wasn't home.

Hmmm . . . creamatorium that I saw in town looked pretty industrial looking . . . nowhere near as fancy as most inserts I see here . . . in fact it kind of reminded me of a very large wood or fossil fueled boiler.

It would take 5-7 loads to fit me in my insert, depending on how long you left me to dry out.

yanksforever said:
Sounds like she just doesn't want one and is putting them all down. Doesn't like a Jotul insert???? They are some of the more beautiful ones. I'd tell her you are offended by the oil bill and that you ARE going to get one. Send for all the brochures and tell her she has to pick ONE! Come on man...put them pants on!!! :cheese:

Y'all need to take the man at his word. He knows his wife, and we don't.

My wife was on board with getting a stove. Interestingly, she's not that excited about running it, but she'd rather be cold than run the heat pump. I'd rather be warm, so I burn the wood. If I set up a fire so all it needs is a match she'll light it, so we're making progress.

My wife didn't like the way Jotul stoves looked either. Too fancy. She picked out a Dutchwest stove. In retrospect, maybe not the best stove, but it makes more heat for less money than the heat pump!

I was all over getting a woodstove and learning how to use it properly. Being able to be roasty-toasy warm and not be in hawk to the oil company is a very good thing. I will say, though, that if you have to look at it every day and it's going to be prominently featured in your home you really should enjoy looking at it; I "get that" because I insisted on the same thing here.

pyper said:
yanksforever said:

Y'all need to take the man at his word. He knows his wife, and we don't.

My wife was on board with getting a stove. Interestingly, she's not that excited about running it, but she'd rather be cold than run the heat pump. I'd rather be warm, so I burn the wood. If I set up a fire so all it needs is a match she'll light it, so we're making progress.

My wife didn't like the way Jotul stoves looked either. Too fancy. She picked out a Dutchwest stove. In retrospect, maybe not the best stove, but it makes more heat for less money than the heat pump!

Thats why I said : "Send for all the brochures and tell her she has to pick ONE! " Right? :roll:

rocklobster said:

Thanks,
Joe

Ahhh... to be a newlywed again, and think that's how it works...

Avalon Rainier insert is great and nice and plain lookin -sits out on hearth so nice heat output - easy to use too

If you do it, you may want to consider getting it done this year for the tax credit. Certain stoves qualify. Check out pic's of my install. My ROI is paid for by the end of the 4th season burning if Oil prices stay where they are today. If they go up, return is that much faster.

Thanks Guys. Some great suggestions here (and some funny replies as well!). I want to make sure both of us are happy with the final decision. I have told her about the tax break so she sees the reasoning for getting it done this year.

I'll let you know what we end up going with.

Thanks again,
Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.