Will wood season in the winter?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smokingolf

Oct 30, 2008
Bloomfield, CT
I lost a large maple tree in May this year had a tree service come in to take it down and left me all the logs 6" or bigger. Started to cut and split in June through the summer, I know this wood is not seasoned just yet, I've been burning wood left from last season mixed in with some of this new wood. Seems to be ok so far. Will it be seasoned say by January or February or will I have to wait till fall 2009? I do have a delivery of another cord from my supplier coming on Sunday just in case at least I know I will have plenty to start next year.

Long story short will wood season through the winter.

Thanks

Brian

I would have to say it mostly depends on your climate. here it just rains from october to june. when i mean rain, we're talking rainforest style. nothing ever dries out. If your climate is dry, then your wood will dry. my wood is in a covered woodshed, so once its seasoned, it stays that way, but in winter with EVERYTHING being wet, I guarentee the moisture content will go up. th reason I know this is because anything made of wood swells here in the winter. drawers, doors, windows, anything that has closing tolerances get MUCH tighter during this wet time of year.

Winter makes for some excellent drying time. The low temps drive the moisture out of the air. Ever hear of freeze dried? Freezer burn? Do ice cubes in your freezer wane away?

It's strange how different it is here than for fattyfat1. Here everything dries out in winter. If I lay up wet wood in the fall, a ten foot tall pile will be only nine feet tall come spring. Any snow that drifts into my woodshed just disappears. Shrubs need to be covered with burlap or sprayed with anti-dessicant to keep them from drying out.

You probably get snow too. we rarely do, usually it's an hour drive to get to snow....................

My next year's wood often gets moldy. Shoot, sometimes the seasoned stuff does.

smokingolf if you can keep the C&S;'s wood dry but outside...yeah I'd say it will continue to season. As far as burning this year, I dunno, but a moisture mater would tell you for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.