Wind and woodpile

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

baseroom

Feeling the Heat
Nov 18, 2014
Rochester
Came home from a week in Florida to this! Oh well it is back up now, found a truckload of poplar on the sign of the road........guess that's an even!
woodpile.JPG
woospile2.JPG

That just sucks........it happens though.

bob

Reactions: Seanm and D8Chumley
Yup thats a bummer. I had it happen once as well but hasnt happened since. My issue was I made my single row to high and didnt level my base out as well as I should have. At least you picked up some free wood along the way!

Only had one fall outdoors in all the years. This year I had a cord fall forward. In the wood shed. !!!

Yep not level enough! Actually the inside pile had been leaning against the outside pile for a while. Finally let go!

Your original wood pile has shrunk over time making the stack unstable. Leaning pile and wind does it in. In addition, there are times when you are stacked close to a structure, one side of the split dries (shrinks) faster than the other end of the split and allows the pile to lean. Though that usually happens when you stack right up against the structure.

I'm sure everyone has been there in some way or another. Glad it's back up, should have stayed in Florida longer, at least you got to add to it.

Yep, we've all had that happen...In fact I have one down in my yard right now, not nearly as much tho. Not fun, but at least you got to rotate your stack!

Status
Not open for further replies.