Wind damage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jags

Moderate Moderator
Staff member
Hearth Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Northern IL
Any of you folks that have been here a while may recall that where I live, I get wind. Lots of wind. Had a big old silver maple get topped off in the last windstorm (last weekend). Took two days (evenings) to clean this sucker up. Tops, tops and more tops. Some of this will become firewood, some is gonna find the burn pile (punky).

I am not a picture taker - I just try and get the job done, but here is a couple that the other half took (yea, dats me in da pic). 55" at DBH. broketreesm.JPGsilvermaplesm.JPG Thank gawd for loader tractors.

Bye the way, I was looking up and talking with my dad - that is the reason for the strange position I was in. The one I am cutting is a Y off of one of the two main branches that came down. Big friggen tree. Rocked my chain two times within 15 min. and I was being super careful.;sick

Looks like no fun. I hate brush. That one limb looks precariously perched in the other tree. Glad you got it done safely.

Bye the way, I was looking up and talking with my dad

I was wondering why there were no chips coming out of the back of that saw...

Reactions: Realstone
Looks like no fun. I hate brush. That one limb looks precariously perched in the other tree. Glad you got it done safely.

Yeah, I had to get a portion of it cleaned up just so I could get the loader on the one hung up. Once I could get to it, I just lifted and pushed to minimize the damage to that cedar. Probably the most perfectly formed cedar tree I have ever seen. It should be a xmas tree in the middle of times square (I wished it was - I am not a fan of cedars.)

Looks kinda hot out there? ;)

Looks like "Must do work"
Would have to be, working in the heat like that. Even in the evenings.
At least you have the experience & equipment to take car of the problem yourself & no serious hose or vehicle damage was done.

It does look partially rotten,
Will/did you get much good firewood?

Pretty good pictures IMO

Dave - I will probably be able to use about 50% of the tree. I don't know why, but it will go from rotten to solid within 4ft of log. Probably has something to do with where old branches broke, etc. The still standing trunk is gonna be a crap shoot. I had a momma cat that had several litters of kittens in that trunk and it grew back closed. I KNOW the center is hollow. Gonna be an interesting one getting that sucker knocked down with 25" of bar.

Edit: and yeah, must do. It is laying across my drive.:mad:

Rocked my chain two times within 15 min. and I was being super careful.;sick
What is 'rocking of the chain' ;?
I dislike dealing with brush too. As much work as processing with no real benefit, IMO

What is 'rocking of the chain' ;?

Getting your chain into something other than wood. In this case is was a seal coated drive. It will take the edge off of a chain quicker than you can say "chit".

Reactions: Realstone
Getting your chain into something other than wood. In this case is was a seal coated drive. It will take the edge off of a chain quicker than you can say "chit".
Learned something new here again. Thanks

Big Silver maple! Get 'er bucked up and split Jags, that chit will dry out fast in this heat!

Be interesting to see how much good wood you get out of that tree, even with a hollow trunk it has the potential for a month or two of burning :)

Reactions: ScotO and smokinj
Be interesting to see how much good wood you get out of that tree, even with a hollow trunk it has the potential for a month or two of burning :)

Alot of it will depend on the trunk. The tops were mostly that. About 4 big branches then brush.

Good you can clean that up. Looks like it needed to come down too especially with the wind you guys get there.

It is difficult to tell from the pictures but those beans don't look too bad. Corn is too far away to tell much.

Dennis - I am in one of the lucky spots in the country. Both beans and corn should have good production this year. Go North or South by 20 miles and its bad.

Yep, can't beat a scrounge that is in your yard.:p

Reactions: smokinj
That is good news Jags. Most of the corn and beans here are doing well. We're getting more rain right now which will help so long as the common mold in August is not too bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.