Window Glass

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CT Mets Fan

Mar 21, 2011
Watertown CT
I am one of those people who turn their stove off every morning before I leave for work, then turn it back on when I get home. I clean all the ash out and widex on a daily basis. I see a lot of people say that when you burn lower grade fuel you tend to have less than clear glass after a while. Last winter I went through 4+ tons of Barefoots, (Barefeet?), and some additional bags of Turmans, Hamers and Oakies. I had this issue all winter, meaning dirty glass after just 1 night of burning.

Does anyone have any ideas? Could it be the seal around the door?

Thanks,
Chris

The breckwell P23 series didn't have the greatest air wash out there.

If your burning the stove on low mostly you will see this more than if the stove was in the medium heat settings. About all you can do is keep the damper open as far as possible(too far and it might go out on you).

Make sure the air wash is sqeaky clean. remove the lower channel piece and be sure there isn't ash built up in it. Some have tried to shim the air wash channel piece out some with shim stock(approx 0.015 to 0.030) or washers. But I don't think it makes much difference from the reports.

Thanks for getting back to me.

Here is a dumb questions, what/where is the air wash?

Generally I run my stove on either the #3(normal) or #4 setting(on really cold nights). It is rarely on #2 and almost never on #1. So will that make a difference?

ChrisA said:
Thanks for getting back to me.

Here is a dumb questions, what/where is the air wash?

Generally I run my stove on either the #3(normal) or #4 setting(on really cold nights). It is rarely on #2 and almost never on #1. So will that make a difference?

Bottom of the door there is a channel under the glass. Allows room air to be drawn into the stove up and around the glass.

Usually the higher settings draw more air thru the wash system. Higher setting use more damper air on the Breckwells. Thats why I stated to open damper more to see if it helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.