Winslow PI40 - Whistling noise louder in basement than room where stove is

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Brian Bo

May 25, 2013
Massachusetts
Hi,
I have a Winslow PI40 and it has a whistling noise. I had it last year. The stove is clean and last week I put oil on the blower motor's shaft.
The noise went away and then came back. I oiled again and now noise comes back sporadically.
The stove is on my 1st floor which is directly above my furnace in the basement.

Issue: When I hear the noise sitting in my kitchen on 1st floor, it is really loud in the basement. I go to the stove and the noise is not that loud. But, the noise in the basement is 10x or more louder than the stove itself. It almost sounds like the whistling is inside a pipe in above the furnace which is directly underneath the stove.

Before I buy a blower motor, does anyone have an idea the piercing whistling noise in the cellar is much louder than the room where the stove actually sits.

Thanks
Brian

Its probably transmitting through the furnace venting and being magnifyed...