Winter 2024

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
The iPhone weather app is a standing joke here.
Yeah, same here. But then I keep trying to convince myself, "it can't continue to be this bad." Honestly, all they'd need to do is re-publish wunderground.com, or at least check their forecast against a few other local references. It's not that hard!

Winter has moved east. We're looking at warmish ~50º weather for the next 10 days. I have already spotted buds opening up in spite of the cold snap that passed through. Our olive tree looks unscathed. Covering it protected from the 17º weather. The wood stove is cold, we're heating with the heatpump. It will get a cleaning and ash dump. First of the winter after burning 1.5 cords. (I love Doug fir for this).

Winter has moved east. We're looking at warmish ~50º weather for the next 10 days.
We're only a day or three behind you. That's been the trend all winter, and looks to continue.

3F to 12F across our area this morning, but the latter part of the week is all rain, hitting 60F by Friday!

Yep 40s to higher 50s forecast for here. I took the lemons and limes out of the greenhouse.

We hit 70 today!

here in north west France as well highs in the 50s and lows in the 40s for the past week...so we're a week ahead of y'all

nevertheless keeping the stove trundling along to refrain from expensive electrical

Its starting to warm up here, finally hit -8c (17f) today. We had a few days of -40 to -44 a couple weeks ago and it's been a slow journey back out of the deep freeze. Feels like Mexico outside today, supposed to be above freezing by the weekend too.

After a few days of rain here, they are forecasting 5"-8" of snow for tomorrow. I fixed the plow on the side by side (needed new pulleys) and of course the Scout is ready for duty as well.

Heading over the NY border this afternoon to fill up my gas cans with non-ethanol fuel for the equipment.

Just more rain, here. Awful soggy, although all of next week is supposed to be cooler and sunny.

January is ending up mild and wet here. It hit 58º briefly today with warmer temps in the forecast by Monday. The woodstove is cold. Good day for a cleaning.

IMG_4202.jpg

The rains finally stopped but it's still warmer weather compared to what we usually get this time of year. February isn't looking real cold either unless things change.

I'm pretty sure the last couple of weeks in February of 2023 and the beginning of March we received some heavy snows.

The rains finally stopped but it's still warmer weather compared to what we usually get this time of year. February isn't looking real cold either unless things change.

I'm pretty sure the last couple of weeks in February of 2023 and the beginning of March we received some heavy snows.
Some of our biggest storms have come in late March, but they're always a freakshow, usually late March is getting warmer here. I remember one in particular, March 30, 1983, where we must have gotten 30 inches in a single event. It was weird, shoving snow and sledding on April Fools day.

Reactions: thewoodlands
Some of our biggest storms have come in late March, but they're always a freakshow, usually late March is getting warmer here. I remember one in particular, March 30, 1983, where we must have gotten 30 inches in a single event. It was weird, shoving snow and sledding on April Fools day.
That is a distinct possibility here, though so far, other than the brief polar outbreak, this is the winter that wasn't. It was 62º yesterday which broke a record. The same is expected for today. I am noting leaves budding out on some bushes. We have a plum tree that's ready to bloom. Daffodils are 8-10 in. tall.

We usually average just under 90 inches of snow per year, I'm not sure how much we received so far but we'll see if February & March will close the gap since we haven't had much snow yet.

Our average is 0-4". Not much lowland snow here anymore though there is once one goes up 1000' or more in elevation. We're at 250'.

Well, the predicted 5"-8" from the weekend storm ended up being 2"-3" of wet mixed precip, A lot of it rain.

Not ruling out a late season snow event, but so far this really is the winter that wasn't.

Last year we got a huge storm mid-March that dumped about 30" on us after a very mild winter so maybe we'll get a repeat this year.

In February we average 10 snowy days, we'll see how close we are to that this year.

Interesting... never thought to look up our average snowfall. It's only 9 inches, which roughly agrees with my expectation, when factoring in how many "no snow" winters we've had in the last 20 years.

In the years we like to call "typical", it's more like 18 inches. But when half of all years are nearly zero, it averages down to 9". ;lol

For the last couple days they were saying we were going to get hit with 7"-13" of snow tonight into tomorrow.

Late this afternoon they canceled the winter storm warning and revised their estimate way down to 2"-4". Apparently the track of the storm is going to be further south so we are going to be on the edge of it now.

Yes, more in Long Island. We're at 5" now, and it's still coming down fast.

We were forecast to get just 1-3 inches, so I made plans to meet a vendor for lunch. Went outside to clear the truck at 11am, and found we had more like 7 inches on the truck and ground! Somehow it was fluffy enough to stack up, but wet enough that any footprint or tire print immediately compacted into hard pack on the driveway or walk. I was able to do some real quick plowing before driving the truck over it, and then finished up the rest after lunch.

Oddly, just a few miles from my house, they only had 3-4 inches. I think most of the area had rain to start, switching to snow. But my house being higher in elevation than the surrounding area was just 2 critical degrees colder (32 vs. 34F), and so we got all snow while others were getting rain.

That same storm was originally predicted to dump some snow on us here in southeast Ohio but it turned into nothing. No precipitation and mid 40s during the day. It has not rained (other then a short, light rain a few days ago that barely made the sidewalk damp) for over a week now.