Winter storm is-a-comin'

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
snowing here hard looks like i may be in one of the best spots for once... thank god i dont have to work today.

Pictures?

anyone?

Let the rest of us enjoy the winter time beauty outside your windows.

:)

12-20" here at the MD/DE Mason Dixon line. It snowing steady now.

They say we are somewhere around halfway through this. I don't think I will be going out to these wood stacks for a while.

Attachments

• 2009 snow 1.jpg
    2009 snow 1.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 321
Been snowing about 1 1/2 hours here and about an inch on everything and it is coming down pretty hard.
Nice and cozy in here, a weeks worth of wood in the garage. and it is coming down pretty hard.

Timing is evrything in life. I took 2 hours off yesterday afternoon so I could get started on moving a 2year old HH from the back yard to under the deck by the stove room. I usually wait untill Christmas week from the 25th to Jan 1st for this chore. The forcast prompted me to step it up a few days. Boy am I glad I made the move. Finished with 1 and a half cords of dry oak three steps outside the sliding door under the deck . Sweet. JUst finished burning all the junk wood this week also. Looks like I'll be back and forth from the stove room and the computer room trading stories here for a few days. Cheers and Merry Christmas everyone.

stoveguy2esw said:
working on pictures will post soon
th_041-1.jpg

ok click on photo will take you to a photobucket album ,22 random photo's from this morning

ok got the album working now, hadnt tried doing it this way before to get all the pics up at once, just click on the picture and you can browse the photo's

stoveguy2esw said:
stoveguy2esw said:
working on pictures will post soon
th_041-1.jpg

ok click on photo will take you to a photobucket album ,22 random photo's from this morning

ok got the album working now, hadnt tried doing it this way before to get all the pics up at once, just click on the picture and you can browse the photo's

Lots of good photos, Mike! Thanks, I enjoyed them. Looks like the sun forgot to come up this mornin' at your place! Stay warm and well fed.

I was able to make a few hairy plow runs with the garden tractor before it slid off the side and got stuck. This is the first hundred feet for so of the 900 foot "driveway". It has only been an hour and it already looks like I never plowed. When I got down the hill a plow truck was turned sideways and stuck completely blocking the driveway. :ahhh:

Attachments

• 2009 snow 2 driveway.jpg
    2009 snow 2 driveway.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 277
12-14 inches here in Asheville NC.

The VC Resolute has been doing yoeman's duty these last 24 hours. I was skiing Thursday at Beech Mountain. Called the wife as soon as I could get a signal and told her to come home ASAP; she's in college in Charlotte and had planned to come up Friday morning. As I talked with her, I was looking at the barometer at the main lodge drop off.

Cut skiing short, but had a good day as no one was much there. 25 good runs is fine for a moderately fit 47 year old. The sun was shining as I pulled into the garage. I pulled in a lot of wood. My wife got late Thursday night, the VC Stirling engine turning and me cozy passed out on the couch.

We woke Friday morning to snow. I called work and told them "only if it is an emergency" and fell back to sleep. We spent the rest of the day watching the snow fall. We walked for beer and pizza last night, and the power died at 9:00. We called it a night. I stoked the stove.

Waking today, a white world. No power. I threw more wood on the stove. As soon as I reheated a cup of coffee on the stove (we forgot to grind the damn beans...) I went out and got all the snow off of the wood pile. Pulled in more wood. Power came up at 10:30 am.

We're snug. I may dig the Westfalia out tomorrow, or maybe I will just wait for the snow to melt.

It is, after all, the South. We get snow in Asheville, but it rarely last more than a couple days (mind you, that is NOT an invitation to move here...)

It has begun. I can still see the grass in the front yard. But they are saying not for long.

Grocery store was not crowded, which suprised me. Firewood is all inside, and the to be splits are covered. I used a white tarp, hope I can find them before April :long:

Took Murph out, he was excited. I'll have to get Murph in the snow pics !! I have no doubt I'll be shoveling another "puppy path" a few times.

BB, did you get your tractor up and going?

Northern Hunterdon County has about 3" or so on the ground but its coming down steady. I had enough time to reorganize one of my piles this morning and I picked out all of the odd chunks that us scroungers seem to accumulate. Now they're all stacked in the basement because I actually have time to fiddle with the placement of the pieces inside the firebox-it's kind of like putting a jigsaw puzzle together. I swear those knotty, gnarly crotches seem to burn as long and as hot as coal. Could we be seeing feet tomorrow? Only time will tell...

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:
BB, did you get your tractor up and going?

The tractor is buried down by the road until the spring thaw. I put a winch on the back of it last year for just such an eventuality. Where it got stuck there is nothing within fifty feet to hook the cable to. >:-( The two lowest spots on the deck measure 26 inches and the front yard is 24 inches.

The outdoor cat is in the basement and totally pissed off when I open the door and she goes to run out and runs into a two foot wall of snow. I just started her a fire in her own personal Jotul F3CB.

Hope eveyone is staying warm through the storm. Fire station coverage for me tonight >:-( ......oh well, at least ill be getting paid. And I only live a mile from HQ so a short trip home to fill the stove up wont be so bad :coolgrin:

BrotherBart said:
...The outdoor cat is in the basement and totally pissed off when I open the door and she goes to run out and runs into a two foot wall of snow. I just started her a fire in her own personal Jotul F3CB.

Sounds like '96...or worse. That was our first winter in Northern Virginia. Hell of a deal. 54°F & sunny here right now (go figure). No snow in our 10-day forecast. Burning mornings & evenings only. Fine w/me...Jan & Feb is usually our real blast. I can wait. Stay warm & safe, all! Rick

fossil said:
BrotherBart said:
...The outdoor cat is in the basement and totally pissed off when I open the door and she goes to run out and runs into a two foot wall of snow. I just started her a fire in her own personal Jotul F3CB.

Sounds like '96...or worse. That was our first winter in Northern Virginia. Hell of a deal. 54°F & sunny here right now (go figure). No snow in our 10-day forecast. Burning mornings & evenings only. Fine w/me...Jan & Feb is usually our real blast. I can wait. Stay warm & safe, all! Rick

What's kicking our butt is that it is still coming down and the radar looks like it is going to keep it up for several more hours. Don't know what I am gonna find in the morning. I do know that if there is an emergency and we have to meet'um at the road there will be 7,200 pound of Chevy doing a Duke of Hazzard run down that driveway and probably going airborne at the end because it is back uphill the last fifty feet.

"Hello 911? Need an ambulance. And tell them not to park in front of the driveway or you are gonna need two of them and a firetruck.".

The biggest one I have seen here was in February of 1983. I was living in Dallas and flew in here one night on a business trip. I got up at the hotel the next morning and looked out the window and the snow was up to the window sill on my rent car in the parking lot.

I went back to bed. It ended up at 30 inches.

HO HO HO-LZ HAUSEN

Attachments

• IMG_0767.jpg
    IMG_0767.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 265
hey guys , we got about 8inches overnight, but before the snow came we had alot of freezing rain that has caused alot of power outages, I was without power all night, but my stove was cruising at 600 degrees, and everbody was warm , there is about 25,000 people without power in my part of the woods, my parents are staying with me because they have no power and my old man is wishing he would have done what i done and got him a wood stove, I love being able not to depend on the power company to keep my family warm.

RIDGERUNNER30 said:
hey guys , we got about 8inches overnight, but before the snow came we had alot of freezing rain that has caused alot of power outages, I was without power all night, but my stove was cruising at 600 degrees, and everbody was warm , there is about 25,000 people without power in my part of the woods, my parents are staying with me because they have no power and my old man is wishing he would have done what i done and got him a wood stove, I love being able not to depend on the power company to keep my family warm.

Take good care of that bunch. Ice is nasty stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.