Winter storm is-a-comin'

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally some snow forecast for us! I am hoping we get atleast 3 inches, that is enough to send everyone around here in a panic to buy TP and bread and milk at the stores.

I am heading up to Evolution brewery to pickup 2 growlers for this weekend, usually only get 1 but I figure I might need extra. Rise up stout is finally back on tap!

mmmm... stout..

photo.jpg

mellow said:
Finally some snow forecast for us! I am hoping we get atleast 3 inches, that is enough to send everyone around here in a panic to buy TP and bread and milk at the stores.

I am heading up to Evolution brewery to pickup 2 growlers for this weekend, usually only get 1 but I figure I might need extra. Rise up stout is finally back on tap!

mmmm... stout..

photo.jpg

By Growler do you mean the large jug...2 - 3 quart?

I wish that was the view through my Quad door glass!

Iv'e not seen them for sale anywhere around here for a long time! Closest thing I can get to that is shipyard. (Or my homebrew)

8"-12" expected on the CT shoreline. Unlike the rest of you, I'm not overly thrilled about it... in fact I'd much rather not have to deal with cleaning the crap up!

10-14" Eastern Long Island and the NWS guys say outlier NAM model has 18-24" but not the most likely scenario. Love watching it fall hate shoveling the crap.

Wishing we would get some of that storm here. Have some snow removal equip just waiting to go to work on a good dump of snow. Hardly any snow here just been cold the past few days Hi in the low teens and around 0 at nite. But the house stays a toasty 74. Just keep the GW full o wood..O by the way the fridge in the garage is full of adult beverages and freezer packed full of Black Angus meat..Just crack open some beers and throw some steaks on the grill!!!!!!!

what is this substance snow you speak of?

Ray

Attachments

• snowdec162009 014.jpg
    snowdec162009 014.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 347
Today was very mild here with a high around -5°C so I took advantage of it to let the fire burn down and cleaned out the ashes. From now forward it's supposed to turn cold fast with a high tomorrow morning of -16°C followed by lows of -24°C for Monday and Tuesday. Not much snow in the forecast but then we don't usually get snow when the temperature is dropping.

global warming every one gets blizzards except us! wish we could get a real good one! they just dont come like they used to

same fire going last 3 days... off work this weekend brought in enough wood for a army. im ready 100%. nothing to do but watch the snow and the fire. perfect weekend.....

flat out dumping here in southwest Va. calling for up to 18 inches by noon tomorrow. started about 3pm already have about 5 inches on the ground and its speeding up. glad i just got the new all seasons on my silverado i have stuff to do this weekend that cant wait.

Wet1 said:
8"-12" expected on the CT shoreline. Unlike the rest of you, I'm not overly thrilled about it... in fact I'd much rather not have to deal with cleaning the crap up!

Why not pay the neighborhood kids to shovel it? That's what we do.

I remember shoveling it as a kid...snow that is. ;)

stoveguy2esw said:
flat out dumping here in southwest Va. calling for up to 18 inches by noon tomorrow. started about 3pm already have about 5 inches on the ground and its speeding up. glad i just got the new all seasons on my silverado i have stuff to do this weekend that cant wait.

Yep. They have upped our forecast to 20" plus and high winds starting within the hour. That new set of BFG Commerical T/A - Traction shoes on the Suburban won't do any good getting down the 900 feet to the road since the bumper is only 18" off the ground. We are going to be snowed in here for a long, long time. We should lose electric power before sunup when I take a shot at a garden tractor plow run. My outdoor cat is in for a real surprise and will go nuts having to hang out in the basement.

I have been burning the 30 around the clock for a week and it looks like I will be for the foreseeable future. Tell the guys at the shop I send my thanks for that stove Mike.

BrotherBart said:
stoveguy2esw said:

Yep. They have upped our forecast to 20" plus and high winds starting within the hour. That new set of BFG Commerical T/A - Traction shoes on the Suburban won't do any good getting down the 900 feet to the road since the bumper is only 18" off the ground. We are going to be snowed in here for a long, long time. We should lose electric power before sunup when I take a shot at a garden tractor plow run. My outdoor cat is in for a real surprise and will go nuts having to hang out in the basement.

I have been burning the 30 around the clock for a week and it looks like I will be for the foreseeable future. Tell the guys at the shop I send my thanks for that stove Mike.

you got it BB! always nice to get a "kudo's" from an ESW family member. have my new 25-PAH motoring along holding a steady 75 here as well, nice to have that big hopper, wont even have to look at the stove til monday. i miss my venerable old pdvc , but the pah is growing on me rapidly.

Dang...are you guys used to that much snow at one time?

If Cincinnati got that much at once it would be shut down for weeks.

Werm said:
logger said:
You have that cool bar Mrs Rileys too. Well, its cool except for all the Red Sox crap in Yankee territory. The Belgian River Horse is great. We'd get along just fine. Down here you need the Flying Fish Double Expresso Porter.

Easy with the Red Sox crap.......

Red Sox Who???? Are they a real team??? :)

No they are not used to that much snow at one time!

Shovel often if you want to keep up with instead of doing it all at once. Unless of course its all powder than you can use a leaf blower!

Clear the snow off the wood pile as soon as possible before it sets up and hardens.

If your fortunate enough to own a snowblower start figuring how much you want to charge your neighbors! Maybe even stop by this evening and offer your services!

stoveguy2esw is it the nice light stuff falling or the heavy concreate snow -

i think we're going to be getting your stuff tomorrow night

keydiver said:
No they are not used to that much snow at one time!

Shovel often if you want to keep up with instead of doing it all at once. Unless of course its all powder than you can use a leaf blower!

Clear the snow off the wood pile as soon as possible before it sets up and hardens.

If your fortunate enough to own a snowblower start figuring how much you want to charge your neighbors! Maybe even stop by this evening and offer your services!

Actually in the 80s and early 90s it was fairly common. Not 20" at once but a foot and then another foot before it melted. One time we were snowed in for a week here and I was the first one to break out. I hauled back seven different brands of beer for the neighbors that had run out.

I will start plow runs on the road down to the road at sunup with the garden tractor. The hassle is that temps are forecast below freezing until at least after Christmas. So the sun will wet the top and it will re-freeze to a sheet of ice at night. Of course that is if we don't get smacked again while it is still piled up.

6"-12" (or more :smirk:) comin' in starting tomorrow PM. I shovel a path to the driveway and the next door neighbor gives me a run thru with his plow (contracts with the town, so he's out any ways. I am last), or the guy 2 doors down shows up (he's the lawn/leaf/landscaper neighbor). No plow on my truck (have plow package). One of these days.

Bringing wood up to the house, went through the "speed rack" and pulled 5 wheel barrows full of wood ( it was like Christmas !!! :p )> Back door rack is full. Deck has 2 rows 8' deep and stacked 3 + feet high. The other side of the deck has a row 6' long and 3" high, I'll move some more up tomorrow.

2 fortex totes, 2 milk crates, indoor stove rack, & plastic bin full and inside. 3 crates outside ready to fill. Deck stacks are covered. I'm going to tarp the wood I am going to split next weekend <it's a 4 day, woo hoo !!> with plastic so it doesn't get buried/frozen/snow covered tomorrow afternoon.

Found the snow shovel :-S

Heading out to the shop in the AM w/ the truck, and need to stop at the supermarket on the way home (usually shop Saturday Pm or Sunday). Other than that, we're good to go.

I just heard more for Christmas Day. Been along time since I've seen a White Christmas. It would be nice this year.

They keep uppin the amounts every time i check. Callin for 8-12" or possibly 14" here in the pines. Im headed out for a quick duck hunt in the am then off to work and ploppin my butt in a plow truck till sunday. Sounds like it's gonna be the heavy, wet stuff too so i'll be pushin it once it get's to 6"+.

Yall be safe out there and if your gonna be home enjoyin a cold one by the fire, have one for the folks out there keepin the roads clear..

yanksforever said:
Werm said:
logger said:
You have that cool bar Mrs Rileys too. Well, its cool except for all the Red Sox crap in Yankee territory. The Belgian River Horse is great. We'd get along just fine. Down here you need the Flying Fish Double Expresso Porter.

Easy with the Red Sox crap.......

Red Sox Who???? Are they a real team??? :)

+1

Stevebass4 said:
stoveguy2esw is it the nice light stuff falling or the heavy concreate snow -

i think we're going to be getting your stuff tomorrow night

smaller flakes but a butt load of it , visibility before dusk may have been 50 yards, batten em down bro it be coming!

Status
Not open for further replies.