jimdavidson Posted By jimdavidson, Aug 23, 2017 at 1:53 PM

1. taylorfarms

taylorfarms
    Member 2.
    NULL

Aug 1, 2015
    Loc:
    new boston, il
    my solution was fairly cheap, 12V school bus circ. pump, battery maintainer, and group 31 batteries, relay to turn the 12V current on when the power drops out, the circ. is in series with my main load circ. to use my house as the dump zone, and it keeps the combine or whatever I rob batteries out of for the winter charged and going.

I had a ton of fin tube I was going to use, but did not want the clutter, and did not see a good way to keep the fin tubes from holding ash/crap that seems to slowly accumulate on every flat surface in the boiler shed. plus I had everything laying around that I needed besides for the pump, and that was cheap enough at the local truck boneyard.

poor people have poor ways I guess

2. rkusek

rkusek
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Mar 19, 2008
    Loc:
    Nebraska
    Overheat loop still needed for pump failures or plugged Y strainer. I once had to clean strainer with a loaded boiler idling. It was first startup after some mods and too much pipe dope.

I often wonder if the batter/inverter setup money would be better spent on one of the newer inverter generators
    that have electric start.

3. Bad LP

Bad LP
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Nov 28, 2014
    Loc:
    Northern Maine
    Great if you are home to get it running.

4. rkusek

rkusek
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Mar 19, 2008
    Loc:
    Nebraska
    I mean the ones that now have electric start. Granted, I don't think they are turn key for this yet. A small auto transfer type switch would be needed. It would be a smaller version of the 3-5 grand whole home versions.

5. Fred61

Fred61
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 26, 2008
    Loc:
    Southeastern Vt.
    In Vermont, Green Mountain Power is offering a Tesla Power Wall for $1500.00.

6. Bad LP

Bad LP
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Nov 28, 2014
    Loc:
    Northern Maine
    I have a 14KW generator now with auto transfer and was advised not to rely on it for protection. I took that advice and installed the NO zone valve and 32 feet of 3/4 baseboard directly above the boiler per the plans.

7. maple1

maple1
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Sep 15, 2011
    Loc:
    Nova Scotia
    Redundancy

Redundancy

Redundancy

8. Bootstrap

Bootstrap
    Member 2.
    NULL

Dec 4, 2013
    Loc:
    Northern CT
    If it hasn't been suggested yet(I skipped to the end) think about a thermo syphon type of system. Old farm tractors used it before they decided to put water pumps on. Basically, you had the engine which created heat(obviously) and a connection at the top out the front of the head that led to the top of the radiator. At the bottom of the radiator, another connection which led to the bottom of the block. The heat in the block created a natural circulation. In that situation you had a fan, but I would think the coldness in winter would be enough. I would suggest a really large radiator such as one out of a HD pickup truck or larger.
    A generator to keep things running would obviously be better.

9. Bob Rohr

Bob Rohr
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 9, 2008
    Loc:
    SW Missouri
    I have seen the fin tube installed with a bit of slope also, to aid thermosiphon.

Use a large diameter fin tube or two 3/4" in parallel to keep that pressure drop as low as possible to encourage thermosiphon.

The old gravity powered hydronic systems used large diameter piping to assure that flow movement.

Attached Files:

10. Bad LP

Bad LP
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Nov 28, 2014
    Loc:
    Northern Maine

I thought of having a slope on mine feeding one end and returning at the other and was told not to bother I did however feed (and return) the dump zone in the middle of the run as well as add an air eliminator off a cross tee. I've tested it several times by shutting off the power to the boiler and it works very fast.

11. goosegunner

goosegunner
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Oct 15, 2009
    Loc:
    WI
    I have 40' of fin tube all pitched properly with a normally open automag valve. It must be ok, John Siegenthaler used a photo of it in one of his presentations.

nopowerdump.jpeg