Wood burner not behaving

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Bethom89

Oct 14, 2018
Uk
Hi guys,

I’ve been having a battle with my wood burner. Ever since new it’s not drawn very well. It’s a twin insulated flue pipe which goes through the wall and up the side of the house. Has plenty of length and a cowel on top.

I’ve tried opening slowly, opening windows, opening vents full prior to opening etc etc (all the things you read on forums) Once going properly it burns very hot and well. But when opening the door lots of smoke still come out.

I’ve had a guy come and sweep it on Friday who said it’s the cleanest he’s swept so that isn’t the problem. He said try it without the baffle plate which did actually improve it. However last night the flue pipe above got too hot and burnt the paint off filling the house with smoke ‍♂️ And resulting in the fitting of that and the adaptor to now be loose.
I forgot to mention I’m a bench joiner so all wood is around 10% MC max and all clean.
Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated so I can sort the bloody thing out. I’ve attached the type of fire

Lewis

Attachments

• EB67A27A-6D69-4A5F-8B24-11A69E6F7E8F.png
    EB67A27A-6D69-4A5F-8B24-11A69E6F7E8F.png
    366.5 KB · Views: 55
Lewis, You posted this in the pellet section. You may want to do so in the wood burning section.

I wouldn’t burn it without your baffle. How much vertical pipe off the stove before you go horizontal? Horizontal runs tend to lead to draft issue on startup. Try doing some really hot kindling burns with the door cracked till the flue gets heated up.