Wood Burning Zero Clearance Fireplace Newly Built House

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BobbyD

Dec 1, 2013
Northwest Arkansas
Hello, after many months of research I think I am ready to make a post asking for input.

Location: NW Arkansas (Zone 7A = Average Min Temp 0 to -5 degrees)

House Size 4,000 Sqft – 2 story split 2,200 downstairs to 1,800 upstairs. Main heating area for fireplace will be downstairs in living room.

Built in 2011, insulation to code.

2 story open entry to catwalk for bedrooms upstairs, 10ft ceilings downstairs with open floor plan.

Objective is to add supplemental heat while looking nice. This will replace current double sided gas fireplace. Living room on one side office on other side, I come up with something to replace current back side to office as an insert would not be double sided.

Current assortment thoughts are it must be Zero Clearance due to no existing chimney flue.

Looking for direction on unit that would be best suited for this setup. I grew up with an insert and am comfortable with overnight burns etc. I currently have a large outdoor fireplace so I have wood already seasoned and ready for the new fireplace.

I appreciate any input and hope I have followed the rules with plenty of info.

Thanks,
Bobby

Hello, after many months of research I think I am ready to make a post asking for input.

Location: NW Arkansas (Zone 7A = Average Min Temp 0 to -5 degrees)

House Size 4,000 Sqft – 2 story split 2,200 downstairs to 1,800 upstairs. Main heating area for fireplace will be downstairs in living room.

Built in 2011, insulation to code.

2 story open entry to catwalk for bedrooms upstairs, 10ft ceilings downstairs with open floor plan.

Objective is to add supplemental heat while looking nice. This will replace current double sided gas fireplace. Living room on one side office on other side, I come up with something to replace current back side to office as an insert would not be double sided.

Current assortment thoughts are it must be Zero Clearance due to no existing chimney flue.

Looking for direction on unit that would be best suited for this setup. I grew up with an insert and am comfortable with overnight burns etc. I currently have a large outdoor fireplace so I have wood already seasoned and ready for the new fireplace.

I appreciate any input and hope I have followed the rules with plenty of info.

Thanks,
Bobby
Here is a pic of the current gas fireplace unit. Luckily the area above is open to the roof for the chimney location.

Attachments

• IMG_7783.jpg
    IMG_7783.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 129
Status
Not open for further replies.